The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
amexblack
512MB of ram? I'd have expected far more.
I think your Yahoo! comparison is frivolous; a supercomputer in the 90s certainly would have been more powerful than the server UK-L is running on currently. Besides, I'd be surprised if Yahoo! was ever run on a single computer.

a 90s supercomputer would probably have been less powerful, or as powerful as, a good server now (at least early 90s, when yahoo was set up)
Reply 41
amazingtrade
Yeah true, maybe it was 1GB it has upgraded to, I can't remember now.

My desktop machine has 512MB RAM. However it is still a lot since an average server in yester had 16mb ram!

I think it was 1GB the server now has. I'm tired and confusing myself now.

servers a few years ago had 512mb-1gb of ram. Its a while since servers had 16mb ram!

remember servers are usually more powerful than desktop machines, and have more ram on average.
Reply 42
piginapoke
I disagree, I reckon you'd still need a cluster to match it even these days.

i dunno. I reckon a nice quad-opteron rig with a good wad of ram could give an old supercomputer a run for its money.
Reply 43
piginapoke
Can't be arsed to dig out the MFlops stats :smile: Depends what supercomputers we're talking about anyway. Surely not a top-end one. You can get supercomputer-ish performance out of a cluster of 8 top notch workstations/servers.

you can get better-than supercomputer performance out of any pc. Just add a few million other PCs and get funding from Seti. :biggrin:

isnt that the biggest/most powerful "supercomputer" now?
Reply 44
piginapoke
Don't know but probably now that I come to think of it. Looks too geeky for me though, I'd rather have women on my screensaver :wink:

I run it in the background, leaving my screensaver free for other things :smile:
Reply 45
piginapoke
Ah but I'm only on diallup at the moment so need to keep as much bandwidth free as I can :smile:

poor you!

the files are only about 350k btw..

Latest

Trending

Trending