Turn on thread page Beta

An offer to tempory fix the server problems. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amexblack)
    512MB of ram? I'd have expected far more.
    I think your Yahoo! comparison is frivolous; a supercomputer in the 90s certainly would have been more powerful than the server UK-L is running on currently. Besides, I'd be surprised if Yahoo! was ever run on a single computer.
    a 90s supercomputer would probably have been less powerful, or as powerful as, a good server now (at least early 90s, when yahoo was set up)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Yeah true, maybe it was 1GB it has upgraded to, I can't remember now.

My desktop machine has 512MB RAM. However it is still a lot since an average server in yester had 16mb ram!

I think it was 1GB the server now has. I'm tired and confusing myself now.
    servers a few years ago had 512mb-1gb of ram. Its a while since servers had 16mb ram!

remember servers are usually more powerful than desktop machines, and have more ram on average.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I disagree, I reckon you'd still need a cluster to match it even these days.
    i dunno. I reckon a nice quad-opteron rig with a good wad of ram could give an old supercomputer a run for its money.

ReputationRep:
    Can't be arsed to dig out the MFlops stats Depends what supercomputers we're talking about anyway. Surely not a top-end one. You can get supercomputer-ish performance out of a cluster of 8 top notch workstations/servers.
    you can get better-than supercomputer performance out of any pc. Just add a few million other PCs and get funding from Seti.

isnt that the biggest/most powerful "supercomputer" now?

ReputationRep:
    Don't know but probably now that I come to think of it. Looks too geeky for me though, I'd rather have women on my screensaver
    I run it in the background, leaving my screensaver free for other things

ReputationRep:
    Ah but I'm only on diallup at the moment so need to keep as much bandwidth free as I can
    poor you!

the files are only about 350k btw..

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 11, 2004

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.