The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
priya
cambridge guys......

how do u manage to live with the poster/blu tack restrictions upon you? (might not apply to all colleges, i dunno though) i will die if i have to stare at pallid yellowing walla for 8 weeks at a time!

on average how many boxes/bags do u all end up carting to and fro from uni?

Well, at Clare you're allowed to put blu tak onto wooden (unpainted) surfaces, so one of my friends got Jessops to print out a hundred digital photos of his and then stuck them all over the place on the woorden panelling/doors etc. At some colleges you're allowed to use artists' tape (or whatever it's called) to stick things to walls, but not here. So I bought some poster hangers (because college don't provide enough free) and put up a few posters. I stick a map and a few pictures on my notice board too.
It's not as jam packed full of stuff as some people, but it's not bare, and I like it that way.

Alaric.
Reply 41
Joey_Johns
Which cheap skate boarding school are you thinking of? I wasnt aware you had to make your own food at such schools...

Lol, no it's not cheap skate or anything - just good for snacks and for weekends when no one can be bothered to get up / go to the hall for food.

Yes, 11p...obviously we have london inflation or something :wink:
lucerna
Lol, no it's not cheap skate or anything - just good for snacks and for weekends when no one can be bothered to get up / go to the hall for food.

Yes, 11p...obviously we have london inflation or something :wink:

You dont have lessons at the weekends??? :confused:
Reply 43
Joey_Johns

lol, we didnt have houses, ours were called 'playrooms'. Oh yes, the amount of jokes from such a name...

Hmmm...especially in a Catholic boarding school...:biggrin:

Joey, sometimes you are an unbearable snob! Just because not everyone went to Stoneyhurst doesn't mean their schools weren't good in other ways! :tongue:
Reply 44
Joey_Johns
You dont have lessons at the weekends??? :confused:

You're being ironic, right? heh.

Nope, I finish at 3.20pm on a Fri. Quite a few of my friends finish at 10.20am. No saturday school for us (though there used to be compulsory chapel on Sun..not fun)
priya
cambridge guys......

how do u manage to live with the poster/blu tack restrictions upon you? (might not apply to all colleges, i dunno though) i will die if i have to stare at pallid yellowing walla for 8 weeks at a time!

Picture rails! And poster hanger thingies, you can get them from Rymans. Also college should provide you with a noticeboard so you can stick stuff up there. Be warned though that if your room doesn't initially have a picture rail it can take them ages to provide you with one (my friend just got his put up, two full terms after asking for it!).

on average how many boxes/bags do u all end up carting to and fro from uni?

Oh, far too many... I can usually just about fit me, my stuff and my parents into the car, which is fairly impressive. It's useful if you can find somewhere lockable to leave stuff over the shorter holidays as this saves space.. I'm not looking forward to the end of the summer term, think I'm going to need a lorry!
Reply 46
MadNatSci

Oh, far too many... I can usually just about fit me, my stuff and my parents into the car, which is fairly impressive. It's useful if you can find somewhere lockable to leave stuff over the shorter holidays as this saves space.. I'm not looking forward to the end of the summer term, think I'm going to need a lorry!

Lucky you! I can only fit me and one parent in the car once all my stuff is in. Would probably be a lot easier if I didn't have the cello, and I also have a skeleton in a box which takes up some extra space :rolleyes: However, it's not as bad as for my vet friends who live in Northern Ireland, and have to explain to customs why they have a dog skeleton in their luggage (and they have real skeletons, ours are only plastic!)
Reply 47
Helenia
Lucky you! I can only fit me and one parent in the car once all my stuff is in. Would probably be a lot easier if I didn't have the cello, and I also have a skeleton in a box which takes up some extra space :rolleyes: However, it's not as bad as for my vet friends who live in Northern Ireland, and have to explain to customs why they have a dog skeleton in their luggage (and they have real skeletons, ours are only plastic!)

Imagine the fright customs officers would have if you had scrunched a plastic human skeleton into a suitcase! I can just see the faces of the staff as it passes through the X-ray machine.
Reply 48
*delayed reaction*

You can buy bookchairs in Heffers and Waterstones, up to about £20 for a massive one (that you would probably need for a big medical book).
Helenia
Hmmm...especially in a Catholic boarding school...:biggrin:

Joey, sometimes you are an unbearable snob! Just because not everyone went to Stoneyhurst doesn't mean their schools weren't good in other ways! :tongue:

Lol, you love it really. :smile:

No, i'm just surprised Winchester is a very rich school, I thought they would have food machines in corridors.
lucerna
You're being ironic, right? heh.

Nope, I finish at 3.20pm on a Fri. Quite a few of my friends finish at 10.20am. No saturday school for us (though there used to be compulsory chapel on Sun..not fun)

No really. 7 days a week, a lot of schools do. Means you get longer holidays though :smile:
Reply 51
Joey_Johns

No, i'm just surprised Winchester is a very rich school, I thought they would have food machines in corridors.

Ah you love to rub it in, just as much as I love to take the piss!

Btw, you are being two-timed - am now also married in college, in preparation for all the new kiddies next year :biggrin:

Our school was 7 days a week for boarders (although only chapel on Sundays) and 6 for the rest of us. Weds and Sat were only half days though, with the afternoons for games and matches.
Helenia
Ah you love to rub it in, just as much as I love to take the piss!

Btw, you are being two-timed - am now also married in college, in preparation for all the new kiddies next year :biggrin:

Our school was 7 days a week for boarders (although only chapel on Sundays) and 6 for the rest of us. Weds and Sat were only half days though, with the afternoons for games and matches.

Thats ok, I'm a pretty liberal person :biggrin: Happysunshine will be happy about that anyway :tongue:
Reply 53
Joey_Johns
Thats ok, I'm a pretty liberal person :biggrin: Happysunshine will be happy about that anyway :tongue:

Ah, but I'm not actually having a mad passionate affair with my other husband, unlike you two. :tongue: We're only together for the kids :wink:

Who knows, I might get one of the people on here....?
Helenia
Ah, but I'm not actually having a mad passionate affair with my other husband, unlike you two. :tongue: We're only together for the kids :wink:

Who knows, I might get one of the people on here....?

I'm not getting you now :confused:

You agreed with someone that you will have kids with them if all else fails?

One of the people on here...that I dont understand at all? As a kid? :confused:
Reply 55
Joey_Johns
I'm not getting you now :confused:

You agreed with someone that you will have kids with them if all else fails?

One of the people on here...that I dont understand at all? As a kid? :confused:

Ah. No, not quite. It's not a real marriage at all - any more than ours is. It's all for the college parenting system that most colleges run. In order that freshers have someone to ask stuff in the first weeks, they get given college parents; a "mum" and "dad" in one of the upper years, and a sister or brother in the first year. The parents take their kids for a meal on the first night and generally hang around with them during Freshers' week when wanted, just to help you find your feet. Some "families" stay quite close and go out for meals etc every so often, and the siblings stay good friends (sometimes even get married the next year!) Mine is less close - they still say hi and check I'm ok when they see me, but I've been doing fine on my own, so we don't see much of each other. My college sister is rapidly making her reputation as best random puller of the year. :wink:

By "getting married" all we mean is that we'll act as parents together for the purpose of this thing. Usually you don't marry your bf/gf (no problem in my case) as things could turn nasty if you broke up, plus your Fresher kids might feel like they were intruding on you. It's normally just friends, although we try not to marry people in the same subject as that is seen as a little "incestuous" (especially in the case of medics, who are notoriously cliquey anyway). So yeah, basically I've found someone to be a college parent with next year. The proposal was oh-so-frightfully romantic :rolleyes:

And there are a number of people who've been on/are still on here who are holding offers for Clare, so I was just speculating that they might end up as my kids!
Reply 56
Joey_Johns

Just coz we're a rich school doesn't mean we have food machines! I miss the logic there :confused:

There aren't that many corridors to have food machines in anyway. It's probably only a matter of time before the Bursary get in on the act :mad:

Mind you, its Charterhouse who have signed a deal with Starbucks I think. The school would be up in arms if they did that here. The reaction when they tried to introduce central feeding was bad enough!
Helenia
Ah. No, not quite. It's not a real marriage at all - any more than ours is. It's all for the college parenting system that most colleges run. In order that freshers have someone to ask stuff in the first weeks, they get given college parents; a "mum" and "dad" in one of the upper years, and a sister or brother in the first year. The parents take their kids for a meal on the first night and generally hang around with them during Freshers' week when wanted, just to help you find your feet. Some "families" stay quite close and go out for meals etc every so often, and the siblings stay good friends (sometimes even get married the next year!) Mine is less close - they still say hi and check I'm ok when they see me, but I've been doing fine on my own, so we don't see much of each other. My college sister is rapidly making her reputation as best random puller of the year. :wink:

By "getting married" all we mean is that we'll act as parents together for the purpose of this thing. Usually you don't marry your bf/gf (no problem in my case) as things could turn nasty if you broke up, plus your Fresher kids might feel like they were intruding on you. It's normally just friends, although we try not to marry people in the same subject as that is seen as a little "incestuous" (especially in the case of medics, who are notoriously cliquey anyway). So yeah, basically I've found someone to be a college parent with next year. The proposal was oh-so-frightfully romantic :rolleyes:

And there are a number of people who've been on/are still on here who are holding offers for Clare, so I was just speculating that they might end up as my kids!

Oh, go on, how did he propose?
winorloose
Just coz we're a rich school doesn't mean we have food machines! I miss the logic there :confused:

There aren't that many corridors to have food machines in anyway. It's probably only a matter of time before the Bursary get in on the act :mad:

Mind you, its Charterhouse who have signed a deal with Starbucks I think. The school would be up in arms if they did that here. The reaction when they tried to introduce central feeding was bad enough!

Lol starbucks. That place stinks of America alsmost as bad as McD's.
Reply 59
Joey_Johns
Oh, go on, how did he propose?

Well, it was after our "Pirates" end of term bop and we were at a room party. The two of us were having a drunken deep-and-meaningful conversation (we have "history," which really should have been sorted out before then, but I guess at least it's finally done). Then we noticed that two of our friends were getting rather cosy - he commented on it and I said "It's ok, they're married," and he was all "Oh, I don't have anyone to marry, everyone's already taken.....blahblahblah...who still isn't married"

I hadn't been intending to marry this guy, despite everyone telling me I should. However, being drunk, I didn't think, and blurted "Me."

He looked ecstatic, seized my hands and said "Marry me!"

I remembered that I wasn't meant to, asked "Are you sure?" he said "Of course I am, else I wouldn't ask" so I said I would. How sweet. :rolleyes:

I dread to think what the kids will turn out like...

Latest

Trending

Trending