The Student Room Group

Graduation Gowns

I’ve recently graduated from university but I had a lot of personal/work stuff going on so wasn’t sure I could make the ceremony until last minute.

I’ve got the tickets but I was too late to book a gown. I have heard Churchill Gowns is the same and it’s also good quality. Would anyone notice the difference? Am I even allowed to use a different distributor?

I’m also confused about photos, can I get them done at the venue without booking?

Thanks guys! ☺️
i don't know if there will be a university staff member who will check people's gowns before they enter the ceremony

do you have a friend or family member who can take your photographs? i might tell them that i might attend the ceremony, if the gown situation is resolved, and i can attend, could they come with me and take my photographs.
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by JustMe88
I’ve recently graduated from university but I had a lot of personal/work stuff going on so wasn’t sure I could make the ceremony until last minute.

I’ve got the tickets but I was too late to book a gown. I have heard Churchill Gowns is the same and it’s also good quality. Would anyone notice the difference? Am I even allowed to use a different distributor?

I’m also confused about photos, can I get them done at the venue without booking?

Thanks guys! ☺️

Hi there

This will really depend on the uni's policy. Some unis will be very strict on only using the registered company, and if you have a different gown to everyone this could be noticeable. I would recommend contacting the department who are organising your graduation at your uni to find out their policy. And also the gowning company, as they may have some spares or a way for you to rent one last minute.

With regards to photos, most unis will have a professional photographer, but the way they operate will depend on each uni and photographer. Some may take lots of photos and upload them online. Some may take more headshots and make them available for purchase. I would definitely recommend getting a family member or friend to take loads of photos to help you capture the special day.

Hope this helps,
Congratulations on your graduation

Adam - Uni of Kent rep
Reply 3

You're probably not too late to make arrangements with the official supplier. They will set a deadline so they get 95+% of the bookings in place well in advance to streamline their processes, but it's very likely that if you ring them up as soon as you can they can still sort out a gown for you on the day. They won't be able to cope with a large number of late bookings which is why they set a cut-off date in place.

Provided the other gown supplier knows the design and colours for the gown and hood (and headgear, if applicable) of the university and degree concerned they should supply the right thing.

Thanks guys! ☺️
I used Churchill Gowns - Their stuff was much cheaper then the supplier the Uni recommended and I looked the same as everyone else on the day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending