The Student Room Group

Is my relationship on its expiry date? First relationship advice:)

I’ve been with my bf nearly a year, but I feel in the last couple months we don’t have much to talk about with eachother and when we hang out it’s kinda just watching tv then have sex then go on our phones type of thing. Don’t get me wrong we cuddle and say I love you quite often but I feel we put less effort into that sort of thing than we used to. When we hang out in a group of people I’m not like drawn to my bf and speak more to other people. I do struggle with anxiety and depression so not sure if this comes into play but I feel like there’s this slight disconnect between us when we are together. We’re both going off to uni but even when he works a lot of days in the week I feel distant from him so I’m worried at uni if we aren’t seeing eachother for months at a time it’ll impact us even more, is it a bad sign if u don’t feel that connected when you speak online because I have to see him in person to feel that. Everything’s like comfortable but there’s just not excitement. I accidentally called him one of my friends the other day and he got mad at me! What can I do about this? I don’t feel a break up is necessary like there could be a fix to it but I’m not sure how or if these are even bad signs
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve been with my bf nearly a year, but I feel in the last couple months we don’t have much to talk about with eachother and when we hang out it’s kinda just watching tv then have sex then go on our phones type of thing. Don’t get me wrong we cuddle and say I love you quite often but I feel we put less effort into that sort of thing than we used to. When we hang out in a group of people I’m not like drawn to my bf and speak more to other people. I do struggle with anxiety and depression so not sure if this comes into play but I feel like there’s this slight disconnect between us when we are together. We’re both going off to uni but even when he works a lot of days in the week I feel distant from him so I’m worried at uni if we aren’t seeing eachother for months at a time it’ll impact us even more, is it a bad sign if u don’t feel that connected when you speak online because I have to see him in person to feel that. Everything’s like comfortable but there’s just not excitement. I accidentally called him one of my friends the other day and he got mad at me! What can I do about this? I don’t feel a break up is necessary like there could be a fix to it but I’m not sure how or if these are even bad signs

You should talk to your bf, let him know that things for you are stalling. Tell him how you're feeling. In a relationship, communication is key, don't automatically go for a break-up. Do something that takes you both out of your comfort zone.
Reply 2
Original post by notstudyingatall
You should talk to your bf, let him know that things for you are stalling. Tell him how you're feeling. In a relationship, communication is key, don't automatically go for a break-up. Do something that takes you both out of your comfort zone.

I agree talking to him is good, but I don’t actually know what to say is wrong or suggest, especially cos he usually takes things as an attack on him rather than a relationship issue
I agree talking to him is good, but I don’t actually know what to say is wrong or suggest, especially cos he usually takes things as an attack on him rather than a relationship issue

Sit him down, let him know that you feel like the relationship is becoming stagnant, and you feel distant from him. Offer up that you want to work on this issue, and want to try new things together.

If he still takes this as an attack, then I would suggest that you break up because he taking everything as a personal attack, which is like a major red flag.
Reply 4

Definitely talk to him. It could just be a blip and it's something you need to get past. I feel at the start of my relationship I was struggling to find things to talk about or how to insert myself into conversation with my boyfriend and his friends, so naturally I'd gravitate towards talking to my friends when we hung out or just staying quiet. Had a chat with him and I found ways for us to connect more :smile:
I hope you can sort this out !
Reply 5
Feels like it might have run it’s course and you’re ready for a new chapter

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending