The Student Room Group

Should this teacher be struck off?

Poll

Should this teacher be struck off?

Hey Guys;

Well, a grammar school teacher (ageed 55) is facing a court about being struck off as a teacher for the following;

Streaking with students during an outward bound school trip after being coaxed by students. - This was ruled as inappropriate.
Undressing in an area where 12-13 year olds were naked at the time - This was seen not to be looked at as misconduct as it was not sufficient.
Hugging a female student from fears she had hypothermia - This was not ruled as an act of mis-conduct.
Presiding over a "Peeing competition" - Two students had asked if this teacher could act as a "Judge". - This was not ruled as an act of mis-conduct.

Do you believe this is sufficient to strike a teacher off?

The school has confirmed that no student was harmed during his teaching period.

Link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2263865/Grammar-school-teacher-honoured-Queen-streaked-naked-pupils-school-trip-goaded-students.html

EDIT:
Of all the allogations, only one was seen as inappropriate.

EDIT2:
I just realised I forgot to give my opinon. - I believe he should be struck off.
(edited 11 years ago)
Yes, on all counts.
The story makes it sound like he hugged the student and sat one on his knee while they were naked.

I don't think thats what happened.

I see no problem with the hugging, the knee sitting or the peeing contest. I've always seen teachers as a parental role, and should be trusted. While it may not be common, it is not enough to be struck off for.

The streaking however, is a bit of a problem. But again, I would imagine a suspension would be more appropriate.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Farm_Ecology
The story makes it sound like he hugged the student and sat one on his knee while they were naked.

I don't think thats what happened.

I see no problem with the hugging, the knee sitting or the peeing contest. I've always seen teachers as a parental role, and should be trusted. While it may not be common, it is not enough to be struck off for.

The streaking however, is a bit of a problem. But again, I would imagine a suspension would be more appropriate.

i agree... i dont think its quite as bad as we're 'made to believe' i dont see as much as the problem apart from the streaking part, there is a problem there but i dont think it is a stricking off issue at all...
Only the Daily Mail could make out simply giving a student a hug to be some disgusting criminal act. This guy just seems like he wants to be the 'fun' teacher, maybe streaking was a bit inappropriate, but as said he was egged on by students, it sounds more like an error of judgment than anything malicious, he should just be suspended unless anything worse comes to light.
It's the DM, the whole thing is probably made up or greatly exagerated.
Reply 6
As long as noone was sexually abused, it's all fine.
Reply 7
Suspension maximum in my opinion

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I would say suspension until the guy's been investigated a bit further. It does seem like he's going a bit over the line but as noone's being hurt I don't think striking him off is necessary.
Reply 9
Streaking with students - Stupid, and probably worthy of a suspension at least.

Undressing in an area where 12-13 year olds were naked at the time - Not enough information to judge. Why were the children naked, and why was he getting undressed? Doesn't sound good though.

Hugging a female student from fears she had hypothermia - I don't understand why this is listed at all, really. I'd want a teacher to do everything that could be reasonably asked of them to protect their students, and I don't think there's anything wrong with teachers hugging students (results day, for example).

Presiding over a "Peeing competition" - Given the students asked him to join in, it doesn't sound creepy. However, he was still a bit stupid to agree.

I'm not sure whether he needed to be struck off, none of these events harmed or intented to harm students, but some disicpline and/or training is required. What do his students think of him?
Maybe.

To be fair at his age, he should realise that most of what he did was innapropriate - all but the hugging a worried student about hypothermia should have been punishable.
Depends if he got a boner or not.
He sounds genuinely terrific and I'm heartened, if a little surprised, that the Mail's enjoyably schizophrenic readership is coming out in support of him. The multiple testimonies from former students below the line suggest that the worst he could be accused of is being out of touch with media-paranoia and the way this has damagingly affected normal adults' interactions with youngsters. Possibly he just doesn't read the Mail.
That's not much, read this Cracked article.
Reply 14
aside from the whole being naked with 12yr olds he sounds quite amusing to be honest... judging a pissing contest? Lad!
Reply 15
Streaking yes. The pissing contest is odd but no harm done. The other two are fine, and I can't see why warming someone up is at all bad? By that logic, he shouldn't give CPR.
Original post by cl_steele
aside from the whole being naked with 12yr olds he sounds quite amusing to be honest... judging a pissing contest? Lad!

funLADlife-savingLADwhogetsmistakenforapaedoLAD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending