The Student Room Group

I feel hated

I never thought life would turn upside down so fast but here we go. As the title says, nobody really wants to be around me or talk to me. I have a friendship group, but they are closer to each other and often leave me out. It's not just friends, it's everyone. We'll have a conversation, and it won't be awkward but then nothing really happens after that. There's no strong bond. I'm not quiet, I'm always smiling, making jokes as I love laughing. At the same time i take care not to appear weird. Nobody wants someone acting superficial. But I always have to take the initiative to talk to people. But when it comes to someone else, they talk to them so much and in a much more closer way. I also think I'm slightly stupid which doesn't help. I just don't learn things that quickly which may make people seem like I'm not a valuable person to be around. Even my professors - even they ignore me. I noticed recently that when they teach others they're always so encouraging and saying their names. Literally praising them every second. But when it comes to me they'll be really closed off and prefer not to talk to me if it's just sat in the classroom. I'm always the person whose left out, who's misunderstood. Anywhere and everywhere, despite not having terrible social skills and showing interest in others and being light-hearted. Every day is a pain. I don't think even one's gone by in two years where I've not had this pit in my stomach out of sadness. I struggle to even hide it anymore. People notice when I'm just sadly staring out the window but I can't tell anyone. I hate everything about me at this point, ugly, no personality and just purely hated. How do I fix this?
i dunno man maybe talk to a counsellor this sounds hard and sad. I felt like this for a while too and it ****ed me up and I went a bit hermitmode. maybe focus on your interests and work for a bit and it might get easier. Sometimes if you act too bland and people pleasing people can be horrible and not think much of you. If you are successful in something people will respect you and want to be around you again
Reply 2
people hate me for being good at things too
Original post by Anonymous #1

hmm well that's a different kind of hate ig. What kind of things?
Reply 4
At this point, anything lol. But yeah, thanks for hearing my rant :smile:
I never thought life would turn upside down so fast but here we go. As the title says, nobody really wants to be around me or talk to me. I have a friendship group, but they are closer to each other and often leave me out. It's not just friends, it's everyone. We'll have a conversation, and it won't be awkward but then nothing really happens after that. There's no strong bond. I'm not quiet, I'm always smiling, making jokes as I love laughing. At the same time i take care not to appear weird. Nobody wants someone acting superficial. But I always have to take the initiative to talk to people. But when it comes to someone else, they talk to them so much and in a much more closer way. I also think I'm slightly stupid which doesn't help. I just don't learn things that quickly which may make people seem like I'm not a valuable person to be around. Even my professors - even they ignore me. I noticed recently that when they teach others they're always so encouraging and saying their names. Literally praising them every second. But when it comes to me they'll be really closed off and prefer not to talk to me if it's just sat in the classroom. I'm always the person whose left out, who's misunderstood. Anywhere and everywhere, despite not having terrible social skills and showing interest in others and being light-hearted. Every day is a pain. I don't think even one's gone by in two years where I've not had this pit in my stomach out of sadness. I struggle to even hide it anymore. People notice when I'm just sadly staring out the window but I can't tell anyone. I hate everything about me at this point, ugly, no personality and just purely hated. How do I fix this?

May I ask what you are studying? I.e a levels, GCSE etc. I'm just curious as a fellow student :smile:
You seem very harsh on yourself.

I'd probably speak to your GP about low mood / low self esteem.
Original post by Admit-One
You seem very harsh on yourself.

I'd probably speak to your GP about low mood / low self esteem.

what if their perception of the situation is just accurate tho? That would be a legitimate reason to feel crap
Original post by ohyegodsmyroast
what if their perception of the situation is just accurate tho? That would be a legitimate reason to feel crap

There's nothing in your first post to make me think this might be the case. The last sentence especially struck me as someone struggling with their self worth.

I'm not sure whether you are at uni or younger, but it is normal not to form especially close bonds with people at various stages. I would not take it to heart.
Reply 9

I don't want to sound like a sadist, but if you are better than others do not be ashamed of it, be proud of it. I had a very good friend group (still do), and one day, my entire mock English essay was shown as a model answer to the entire year group. When I sat at the lunch hall with my supposed 'friends', they commented on how 'sad' and 'weird' I was.

I did not try to brag about having my essay shown. The teacher showed it to every class WITHOUT MY PERMISSION OR KNOWLEDGE. So, if they are mad if you do well, they are jealous.

My advice might disappoint you but here it goes:
Forget them, forget appearing as a popular guy. Focus on your grades, become the best you can be. People have a pre-conceived notion of you that will never change sadly. If you make sure your a model student in terms of grades, you'll have a life ahead of you.

It's better to be unpopular and academic than unpopular and not academic. I can imagine those who don't like you get bad grades too...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending