The Student Room Group

Psychology conversion Msc

Hi, I qualified as a mental health nurse last year, but have worked in mental health for years and will continue to do so. I have been accepted for september 2024 MSc psychology conversion which is still very much the route I wish to go. However, one gaining my Psychology conversion can I still register as an MHNurse with the nmc or does the psychology conversion Prevent me from nursing?
Original post by CLLEWIS
Hi, I qualified as a mental health nurse last year, but have worked in mental health for years and will continue to do so. I have been accepted for september 2024 MSc psychology conversion which is still very much the route I wish to go. However, one gaining my Psychology conversion can I still register as an MHNurse with the nmc or does the psychology conversion Prevent me from nursing?

It shouldn't, it's not like getting another degree invalidates your previous qualifications! However I assume that much like other healthcare professionals registries, you will be struck off from it eventually if you don't work as a nurse after X amount of time.
Reply 2
Hiya, I’m a MH nurse too looking at psych conversion degrees too. Nothing I’ve found online that would prevent us from revalidating with the NMC, as long as you fulfill revalidation requirements and pay yearly fee etc!
Original post by CLLEWIS

@CLLEWIS
I have an MSc in Psychology - I would be tempted to check with the Nursing and Midwifery Council but I don't see any reason why this would be a problem.

A book that will help you with your MSc is Coolican 'Research Methods and Statistics in Psychology' - essential!

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest