The Student Room Group

S2 or M3

Im currently in 2nd year, doing Further Maths OCR. Im looking to get 2A*s. i just sat C3, C4 and M2. To get an A* in F.Maths I believe I need 270ums in Fp2 fp3 and an A2 module. So i dont think i did that well in M2, and im currently going on to do M3 in June. My teacher has given us the option to change to S2 rather than M3.

i got 100 in S1, didnt like it but was alright in terms of difficulty and 97 in M1

How do M3 and S2 compare in difficulty? how do S1 and S2 compare? and which would be better to achieving and A* in F.Maths?
Original post by eb786
Im currently in 2nd year, doing Further Maths OCR. Im looking to get 2A*s. i just sat C3, C4 and M2. To get an A* in F.Maths I believe I need 270ums in Fp2 fp3 and an A2 module. So i dont think i did that well in M2, and im currently going on to do M3 in June. My teacher has given us the option to change to S2 rather than M3.

i got 100 in S1, didnt like it but was alright in terms of difficulty and 97 in M1

How do M3 and S2 compare in difficulty? how do S1 and S2 compare? and which would be better to achieving and A* in F.Maths?

My friend is doing S2 and I'm doing M3,

He says S2 is easy, and more interesting than S1. But he still finds it boring.

I think M3 is quite difficult to work through, but everything can be pictured in your head and it is all intuitive and I find working through mechanics problems way more interesting than statistics.

I'd recommend M3, not for being easiest, but for being funnest.
sometimes it's easier to revise fun topics

I guess S2 is better if you want to get an A* as easily as possible, but if you're looking to study mathematics at university, they recommend mechanics and pure modules
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by eb786

I'm in U6th too, doing Additional Further Maths with Edexcel.

I'm not sure how similar the two boards are, but for us at least, I find S2 isn't that much harder than S1, it might even be easier, and is definitely more interesting.

The jump between M2 and M3 however, is pretty big. The people doing Physics as well as Maths cope but I've struggled quite a bit, despite having got 97 in M2.
Reply 3
S2 is extremely easy. Not much of a step up from S1. Not sure about M3 since I'm do S3 instead but I presume that mechanics is generally more difficult and the jump tends to be higher.

Quick Reply

Latest