The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Queen Mary is part of the Russell group, but it's NOT RSC accredited, which is important if you want to become a Chartered Chemist (which is what most research chemists are!).

I've also got an offer from QMUL for Chemistry, but only recently found out the Chartered Chemist thing recently.
Reply 41
Original post by smudge09
All Russell Group unis, so I wouldn't turn your nose up at any of them. Definitely worth it, especially for a course like chemistry

I thought that the Russell group was just a research funding lobbying group. :confused:
Reply 42
Original post by Funtry
Queen Mary is part of the Russell group, but it's NOT RSC accredited, which is important if you want to become a Chartered Chemist (which is what most research chemists are!).

I've also got an offer from QMUL for Chemistry, but only recently found out the Chartered Chemist thing recently.

Thank you very much for sharing that info, I didn't know that either. Do you happen to know whether the other universities I mentioned are RSC accredited? Or how I can find out if they are?
Original post by Hungry Ghost
Having witnessed the dreaded "unsuccessful" message come up on my UCAS page for both my first and second university choices, I'd like peoples' opinions on whether obtaining a degree from an upper-middle range university is still an economically sound decision given the increase in tuition fees and the abysmal jobs market?

To give a you little more information to go on: I've applied to study Chemistry and I'm currently holding offers from Leeds, Newcastle, Southampton and Queen Mary, University of London. As I say, I'd like to know your personal view of whether studying my subject at one of the aforementioned universities is worth getting into £30,000-£40,000 worth of debt?

Thanks for taking the time to consider my question.

No it isn't worth it. If you don't go to Oxbridge, you will die.

Upper middle range? Really? :rolleyes:
Reply 44
Thank you very much for sharing that info, I didn't know that either. Do you happen to know whether the other universities I mentioned are RSC accredited? Or how I can find out if they are?

http://www.rsc.org/education/courses-and-careers/accredited-courses/index.asp

Here's the link, it's near the bottom is the alphabetic list :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by tommydeaks
No it isn't worth it. If you don't go to Oxbridge, you will die.

Upper middle range? Really? :rolleyes:

I was talking about from an economic point of view; there's not much point in paying £30,000+ to get a degree if I subsequently struggle to get a graduate level job. In any case, I was asking whether people thought this was likely to be the case, not asserting that it was.

As for the upper middle range thing, there are 117 universities in the UK and according to most league tables Leeds, Newcastle and QMUL are ranked 30-45th this puts them between the 25th and 50th percentile which can be accurately described as the upper-mid range.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by Funtry
http://www.rsc.org/education/courses-and-careers/accredited-courses/index.asp

Here's the link, it's near the bottom is the alphabetic list :smile:

Thank you very much indeed :smile:
I was talking about from an economic point of view; there's not much point in paying £30,000+ to get a degree if I subsequently struggle to get a graduate level job. In any case, I was asking whether people thought this was likely to be the case, not asserting that it was.

As for the upper middle range thing, there are 117 universities in the UK and according to most league tables Leeds, Newcastle and QMUL are ranked 30-45th this put's them between the 25th and 50th percentile which can be accurately described as the upper-mid range.

Stop reading the Guardian. If you achieve well in a respected degree from an "upper middle" (lol) university, the only thing stopping you from getting a good job would be if you are an insufferable tit who has the people skills of a brick.
Reply 48
I wouldn't worry about the "debt".
In the real world it doesn't affect you at all.
Reply 49
Very, true. Simply remember. You only pay what you can afford. If you can't afford you don't pay. Only worry about your pay packet. Deductions are done for you plus the debt is written off after 30 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 50
I thought that the Russell group was just a research funding lobbying group. :confused:

"The Russell Group represents 24 leading UK universities which are committed to maintaining the very best research, an outstanding teaching and learning experience and unrivalled links with business and the public sector"
From their website. What more could you realistically want from a university that's not on that list?
Reply 51
Original post by tommydeaks
Stop reading the Guardian. If you achieve well in a respected degree from an "upper middle" (lol) university, the only thing stopping you from getting a good job would be if you are an insufferable tit who has the people skills of a brick.

I don't read the Guardian, but numbers don't lie.

No, but they are seriously flawed and here's an example why: one criteria domestic league tables take into account is UCAS entry points; nursing, a popular course which has a large intake every year, traditionally accepts students with relatively low UCAS points e.g. 320 (BBB). Therefore, overall, those unis with large nursing department e.g. Southampton, Nottingham and KCL, will be adversely affected as everyones UCAS points are added together and averaged. Unis that don't offer nursing e.g. Durham will have a higher UCAS score overall partly because they don't offer courses will lower entry requirements.
Reply 53

you were either born yesterday or you're just trolling now.
if your degree is not from one of oxford, cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick or Imperial, then it is worthless.
Reply 55
Original post by Joinedup
you were either born yesterday or you're just trolling now.

lol what do you expect? I joined this forum to get some advice and I've been negged 40 times and counting for telling somebody asking intrusive irrelevant questions to mind their own business.. I've seen people deny the Holocaust and get negged less than that! This forum is clearly ridiculous, so I've stopped taking it seriously.

Not to mention negged 15 times for merely asking the question in the first place. :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 56
lol what do you expect? I joined this forum to get some advice and I've been negged 40 times and counting for telling somebody asking intrusive irrelevant questions to mind their own business.. I've seen people deny the Holocaust and get negged less than that! This forum is clearly ridiculous, so I've stopped taking it seriously.

Not to mention negged 15 times for merely asking the question in the first place. :rolleyes:

What do you expect? You've (perhaps inadvertently) insulted and belittled everybody who either already attends, or holds an offer from, all the universities you dismiss as 'mid-range'. In addition you've inexplicably bitten the head clean off the first person who responded to your post, just for asking a seemingly innocuous question.

I'd pay good money to see your first day at university if this is how you're going to treat your new classmates.
So I assume that you would therefore be of the opinion that taking up a place to study my subject at one of these universities would be worth the financial outlay?

What were your top two choices
Reply 58
Original post by chignesh10
What were your top two choices

I believe he/she said Imperial College and Durham University.
Reply 59

As for the upper middle range thing, there are 117 universities in the UK and according to most league tables Leeds, Newcastle and QMUL are ranked 30-45th this puts them between the 25th and 50th percentile which can be accurately described as the upper-mid range.

You say numbers don't lie, but they do mislead. You may see significant variation from one table to another, especially if different criteria are used (but even if the same criteria are used).

Your problem is that you are using the league tables very literally. It is not the case that the first three or so universities are better than then next three and so on. Most multifavculty universities in the Russell and 1994 Group (most universities in the top 50 or so) are broadly comparable in that they have excellent departments, good departments and mediocore departments as well as a good intake and comparable teaching.

So they may be upper mid-range in terms of league table positions (but even here I will disagree as all three tend to be in the teens and twenties) but thy are not upper middle in terms of quality or employer perception which is what your OP suggests.

Newcastle, Queen Mary and Leeds are no "worse" than Exeter, Bristol, Edinburgh, Warwick or, yes, Durham.

Latest

Trending

Trending