The Student Room Group

Master in Practical Ethics - do I have a good chance?

I have a borderline 2:1 (60%) from a top 10 UK university (Loughborough) in business management.
However, I also have a strong 2:1 (65%) in Biomedical Science but from a not as respected university (De Montfort).

Oxford ask for a strong upper second (65%) from a recognised university for the postgrad in Practical Ethics.

Excluding all the other factors that they ask for such as the CV and personal statement, do I academically have a good shot?

Thanks!
Reply 1
bump :c
Reply 2
bump :c
Are these both undergraduate degrees?

In principle you would meet the requirement on the basis of your BMS course I guess but I understand it's quite common for the strong 2:1 requirement to just be a minimum requirement and successful applicants often have good 1st class results, for many of their masters degrees. Whether this is the case for the practical ethics course, I'm not sure, although given Oxford is quite strong in philosophy generally I could imagine it's reasonably competitive.

Still, you lose relatively little by applying assuming there are no application fees!
Reply 4
Original post by JPfah
I have a borderline 2:1 (60%) from a top 10 UK university (Loughborough) in business management.
However, I also have a strong 2:1 (65%) in Biomedical Science but from a not as respected university (De Montfort).

Oxford ask for a strong upper second (65%) from a recognised university for the postgrad in Practical Ethics.

Excluding all the other factors that they ask for such as the CV and personal statement, do I academically have a good shot?

Thanks!

You academically meet the minimum requirements, so they will theoretically consider you. I do not know if having done two degrees will be seen as odd, or if the fact one of them is a 2:2 would affect things. It may also depend which is first.

In principle, I don’t think anyone can say you have a good shot or not- it depends on a range of factors, including motivation, academic interests, funding etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending