The Student Room Group

Taking a course that your school doesn't offer?

(edited 4 years ago)
I don't have AH Maths classes, so you definitely don't need to get them. Your school can sort out nabs for you, as I'm sure they just need to download them from the SQA website. Prelims, they would have to order in/ make themselves, which may be a problem.
Reply 2
Original post by nerd434
Okay, so I've been looking to study AH Statistics alongside my timetabled Advanced Highers next year. The problem is, my school doesn't actually offer the course. However, my Maths teacher has told me that she would support my case provided I sorted out the arrangements.

If anyone had been in the same situation, how would you suggest I approach other schools to take a few classes there, or even just to sit the NABS there?

Do I even need to have lessons, couldn't I just ask my school to order the NABS/prelims etc?

I've got a fair amount of time to arrange things but I'm just looking for some advice as to how to approach this!

I had this, twice.

First time I wanted to do H geography 'out-of-column'. After a little bit of negotiation I was able to do it with very little contact time. I was able to see the teacher to get advice on what to look up at the start of that period, then I'd go to the library and use a combination of online and offline resources. I attended a couple of study support sessions after school to do the nabs and as contact time, but I could count the number of these sessions on one hand. I got a B in H geography so it seemed to work.

The second time was for AH geography, this time my school was totally unable to offer it due to the contact time required and lack of staff. Luckily for me there was another school about 300m along the road who had a strong geography department. I was able to go there 2/3 times a week and have lessons (a class size of 3), I did nabs there as well. I sat my final exam for AH on my own in my school, which was a bit strange. It seemed to work fairly well as we went on a residential and field trips with little bother, not that you'll need them for stats. I ended up with a B in AH too.
Reply 3
Original post by nerd434
Okay, so I've been looking to study AH Statistics alongside my timetabled Advanced Highers next year. The problem is, my school doesn't actually offer the course. However, my Maths teacher has told me that she would support my case provided I sorted out the arrangements.

If anyone had been in the same situation, how would you suggest I approach other schools to take a few classes there, or even just to sit the NABS there?

Do I even need to have lessons, couldn't I just ask my school to order the NABS/prelims etc?

I've got a fair amount of time to arrange things but I'm just looking for some advice as to how to approach this!

half of my year go to other schools for AH because my school only runs 2, get your head of year to sort it out? You can do it self-study.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending