The Student Room Group

A level outside of school

I'm choosing my a level options soon, but one I am interested in my school doesn't offer and its quite uncommon, does anyone know if I can take 2 a levels in my school and do one externally? How would that work if I could?
Reply 1
Original post by meoow
I'm choosing my a level options soon, but one I am interested in my school doesn't offer and its quite uncommon, does anyone know if I can take 2 a levels in my school and do one externally? How would that work if I could?

You would have to talk to your school about it. I know people who have done an extra a-level externally, but they did three a-levels at the college.
Yeah you can, but I wouldn’t recommend it (as someone that is studying an a level independently currently). If it's an uncommon a level, its very unlikely it would be required for any course for university. Why don't you just pick a similar a level? Many commonly offered a-levels are pretty similar to unique ones (i.e. accountancy and economics, sociology and psychology, classics and history etc.).
Reply 3
Original post by lanky_giraffe
Yeah you can, but I wouldn’t recommend it (as someone that is studying an a level independently currently). If it's an uncommon a level, its very unlikely it would be required for any course for university. Why don't you just pick a similar a level? Many commonly offered a-levels are pretty similar to unique ones (i.e. accountancy and economics, sociology and psychology, classics and history etc.).

There isn't really any similar a level to be honest, but I was wondering why you don't recommend it?
Original post by meoow
There isn't really any similar a level to be honest, but I was wondering why you don't recommend it?

There is; I’ve done my A levels (4 of them + EPQ).

Because studying a level independently is really tough, it’s not for most people. You are much more likely to get a higher grade by picking a level that your college/sixth form offers because of the support from your teachers and the constant assessment.

I would say that the average student would spend 1.5x the amount of time studying an A-level without the support of your teachers (independently) compared to doing one that your sixth form offers.

But this partly depends on which a level you want to study. Which a level is it that you want to study independently?
Reply 5
Original post by lanky_giraffe
There is; I’ve done my A levels (4 of them + EPQ).

Because studying a level independently is really tough, it’s not for most people. You are much more likely to get a higher grade by picking a level that your college/sixth form offers because of the support from your teachers and the constant assessment.

I would say that the average student would spend 1.5x the amount of time studying an A-level without the support of your teachers (independently) compared to doing one that your sixth form offers.

But this partly depends on which a level you want to study. Which a level is it that you want to study independently?

It's a level philosophy, and I think similar subjects would be history and RE, but my school doesn't offer RE and I don't like history. I was wondering how you studied it outside of school? Did you have to go to a separate school or did someone come to your school to teach you? A couple of schools near me offer philosophy but I don't really want to switch.
Nothing to stop you buying the text books, downloading the syllabus and cracking on.
You would have to pay to take the exams at a private candidates centre yourself (unless your school agreed to enter you for it, they are an exam centre so it does not really matter that they do not offer it).
Back in my 6th form days i can imagine the teachers would have said doing this was nigh on impossible.
However with online resources, including assess to practice questions, mark schemes ectera its far easier nowadays, if you are driven enough to do it i believe its achievable.
I did A level Ancient History entirely on my own, to let you know something of the workload i spent c500 hours on it (over 16 months) and received a grade A.
One more thing, the school may feel a bit put out at your sparse timetable with only 2 A levels and using their premises and resources to study a third externally (though any educationalist worth his salt in my opinion should not be bothered).
So maybe choose a third subject at AS?
You could always drop it later, and pay it lip service in the meantime (cynical i know).
Another thing springs to mind which is a negative.
You would have no predicted grade for A level Philosophy, a problem for potential university applications.

Quick Reply

Latest