The Student Room Group

AQA LITB3 Gothic - 6th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by danielcain-reed
Hey!
With timing, I spent 10 minutes prepping my answers and thought up 4 mini essays/arguments which answered the question. Really important to bullet point a conclusion, so if you do run out of time (like I did with question two) then you can tell the examiner to refer to your plan for which you can still get marks!

I'd be glad to send you some practise responses, I studied Northanger Abbey, Frankenstein and the Pardoner's Tale. What's your e-mail :smile: ?

Hi, can you send me some practice responses for Frankenstein as well? Thank you for being so elaborate with your responses to help out with our revision!
Reply 21
Hey!
With timing, I spent 10 minutes prepping my answers and thought up 4 mini essays/arguments which answered the question. Really important to bullet point a conclusion, so if you do run out of time (like I did with question two) then you can tell the examiner to refer to your plan for which you can still get marks!

I'd be glad to send you some practise responses, I studied Northanger Abbey, Frankenstein and the Pardoner's Tale. What's your e-mail :smile: ?

Hiya, is there anyway you could send me some Northanger Abbey practice responses please? Am really struggling with relating it to the gothic! Thanks X
Reply 22
Hey guys, simple question here but I need some help :tongue:

My teacher always thought that we had to study 4 texts, answering Section A about text 1, then answering Section B about texts 2, 3, and 4... But after closer inspection of the specification and papers, it seems that you can just study 3 texts, and answer Section A about text 1, then answer Section B with texts 1, 2 and 3? I told my teacher this and she seemed utterly perplexed that this may in fact be the case. Is the second situation here allowed?
Reply 23
Original post by suncake
Hey guys, simple question here but I need some help :tongue:

My teacher always thought that we had to study 4 texts, answering Section A about text 1, then answering Section B about texts 2, 3, and 4... But after closer inspection of the specification and papers, it seems that you can just study 3 texts, and answer Section A about text 1, then answer Section B with texts 1, 2 and 3? I told my teacher this and she seemed utterly perplexed that this may in fact be the case. Is the second situation here allowed?

Your teacher is wrong. You only need to study 3 texts and can use the same text in Section A again in Section B.
Reply 24
Original post by Unsworth
Your teacher is wrong. You only need to study 3 texts and can use the same text in Section A again in Section B.

Wow, okay brilliant. Was it the same for LITB1 too? :s-smilie:
Original post by suncake

Hey, for LITB1 you're required to study 4 texts, 1 of which is used for Section A, the remaining 3 for Section B! In my opinion LitB1 was far more difficult. Understanding narrative is far more difficult than applying generic conventions to a set of 3 texts!!!!! What does everyone else think? Do you find Unit 3 easier than Unit 1?
I know this may not be the right threat... but... if anybody has any advice for Lit b4 coursework I'd greatly appreciate it! Do your centres do coursework first then exam? For some reason mine makes us sit the paper in January and then start the coursework after, so that we finish early and have time to revise for other subjects or time to revise for the resit... I personally like this system so I feel lucky to have been in the last year to take January modules!
I know this may not be the right threat... but... if anybody has any advice for Lit b4 coursework I'd greatly appreciate it! Do your centres do coursework first then exam? For some reason mine makes us sit the paper in January and then start the coursework after, so that we finish early and have time to revise for other subjects or time to revise for the resit... I personally like this system so I feel lucky to have been in the last year to take January modules!

Your system sounds good. Yeah, well I did the coursework. The first one we did was the 'comparative' one. I compared the texts of 'Jane Eyre' and 'Wide Sargasso Sea'. I really enjoyed this coursework because you get to make up your own question. When I looked at the examiners report I remember it emphasizing on the issue of debate. That's it really. What's annoying with my school is that my teacher has had this essay/cw of mine for ages and he still hasn't given me a hint or a raw mark of where I'm at in terms of the coursework :/
And the second piece of coursework for us is the 'Feminist' or 'Marxist' reading of poems. I did 'Salome' and 'Havisham' by Carole Ann Duffy and the question was based on whether the poems bring a favourable or unfavourable attitude to women (from a feminist perspective).
Good luck with the coursework! I can't really give any proper advise (sorry) because I don't really know where I'm at in terms of grades-(hopefully I should be on an A) and my teacher wasn't of great help either.
Reply 28
Is anyone else studying The Pardoners Tale for this exam? I'm finding it so hard to revise/ write essays for, any advice would be a lot of help!
With TPT I think it's best for structure and form... It constitutes a fairy tale: 'in Flanders whiloum...' And there's all the hyperbole in the sermon: 'o belly o wombs o stinking cod full of dampnacioun' so great to link lang and form together!

Structure is good to discuss with it being poetry too xx will try think up some more

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 30
Original post by suncake

No for the second question it depends...you can still use your first text but you only do 3 if one of your texts is really long or you do 4 if 2 of your texts are really short e.g. songs of innocence by blake - sorry pastoral litb3 here!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31

Your system sounds really good, wish i had the chance to do that.... the first coursework is a comparative essay, i did 'The yellow wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman and 'The Bell Jar' by Sylvia Plath, my question was in relation to the female protagonists and whether social expectations were exclusively to blame for their psychological breakdowns... I got a B for the piece of work, my advice to you would be like in the exams relate every paragraph back to your original question and if you want to access the higher marks ensure you include a number of critics..... For the second piece of coursework i did a Marxist interpretation of 'The Metamorphosis' by kafka, and again the key element is to include critics.
Reply 32
Hey I sat this exam in January and got full marks, I think the key to it is absolutely nailing the AOs, it sounds really simplistic but I don't think that this spec allows room for creativity or originality unless the AOs are really clearly signposted.
What I found worked for me was really engaging with the terms of the question, in my intro to both questions I defined the terms set out in the question, and then I integrated the terms in the question into the beginning and ending of every single paragraph I wrote so that all of my points were consistently relevant.

And as Unsworth said, really go to town on evaluation! I tried to link AO2, AO3 and AO4 together, by using contextual evidence in order to evaluate my arguments; I would make a point about language structure and form - suggest how this could be interpreted with regards to the terms set out in the question - and then evaluated them using contextual evidence.

I think students need to go about this paper really methodically, almost mathematically! I also found reading the examiners reports for each session absolutely crucial!

Can you please some of you practice essays, it would really help. :biggrin:
Reply 33
Hey does anyone remember the gothic section A questions for the bloody chamber, wuthering heights and dr faustus and what the section B questions were about from the Jan 2013 exam?
(edited 11 years ago)
Hey not sure about sec. A for your texts but for B there was a question on the prevalence of entrapment, and another question on going against the natural order of things :smile:
Reply 35

We did the coursework first and as far as I know I have full marks in both pieces! Are there any specific bits you are struggling with? We did the critical approaches one first and I did a feminist/canonic reading of 'Integrity' by Adrienne Rich, and the part B I compared 'The Bell Jar' and 'If On a winter's night a traveller' by Italio Calvino.

I think the key is, like the exam to try and hit all the AOs and intergrate them, but they like a bit of individual interpretation. Especially for part B, try not to focus too much on the obvious language analysis and go for more obscure ideas in the form and structure; mine was about the search for identity in terms of the move from modernism to postmodernism though the texts. Also make sure for that one that you compare constantly, as I was told we would lose marks for talking about the texts too much individually.
For Part A, just make sure you keep on referring to the critical approach you are taking, as you will get no marks for simply analysing the text if it isn't relevant.

Also, critics are fab, examiners love them.

Hope that helped! I'm really struggling with my Gothic exam, I found AS so much easier. Maybe its because we have a different teacher this year and she is nowhere near as good. Any tips on the kind of quotes we should learn? I'm doing Wuthering Heights, The bloody Chamber and Macbeth so its a bit different to you, but seeing as you got full marks any tips would be appreciated :P

good luck! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 36
Anyone have good critics for 'Wuthering heights', 'The Bloody Chamber' or 'Macbeth'? It's the bit of my essays I'm struggling with at the mo
Reply 37
Original post by xoxsphexox
Is anyone else studying The Pardoners Tale for this exam? I'm finding it so hard to revise/ write essays for, any advice would be a lot of help!

I am and I'm finding it difficult too :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bea.pa
We did the coursework first and as far as I know I have full marks in both pieces! Are there any specific bits you are struggling with? We did the critical approaches one first and I did a feminist/canonic reading of 'Integrity' by Adrienne Rich, and the part B I compared 'The Bell Jar' and 'If On a winter's night a traveller' by Italio Calvino.

I think the key is, like the exam to try and hit all the AOs and intergrate them, but they like a bit of individual interpretation. Especially for part B, try not to focus too much on the obvious language analysis and go for more obscure ideas in the form and structure; mine was about the search for identity in terms of the move from modernism to postmodernism though the texts. Also make sure for that one that you compare constantly, as I was told we would lose marks for talking about the texts too much individually.
For Part A, just make sure you keep on referring to the critical approach you are taking, as you will get no marks for simply analysing the text if it isn't relevant.

Also, critics are fab, examiners love them.

Hope that helped! I'm really struggling with my Gothic exam, I found AS so much easier. Maybe its because we have a different teacher this year and she is nowhere near as good. Any tips on the kind of quotes we should learn? I'm doing Wuthering Heights, The bloody Chamber and Macbeth so its a bit different to you, but seeing as you got full marks any tips would be appreciated :P

good luck! :smile:

If you had the time... would you mind proof reading my essays? They're still in draft form as yet and do need improvement - I did looked at how gender and sexuality contributes to presentation of women in The Bell Jar (hell yeah) and Measure for Measure, and then explored feminism in The Lady of Shalott.

I think I'm worried mainly about whether the arguments I'm making are relevant to the mark scheme!
Finding it easy to analyse the texts and produce a response etc... but just worried as to whether that response is relevant!

As for quotes... START NOW and you'll be fine. I started when we got back after Xmas hols actually memorising quotes.

Separate them by theme and learn no more than 10-12 per text maximum, and go for really general, short, pithy quotes, and find 1 or 2 more specific ones that highlight a specific issue for you.

I took pictures of 4 quotes a day and put them as my phone background screen ahha - hardly goundbreaking!

My friends and I had 'quote offs' on facebook.. where we'd talk to each other in the form of quotes from the texts... let's just say a facebook feed full of Chaucer provided light entertainment for all the non-lit students :P :P
Anyone struggling with Chaucer/Frankenstein or Northanger Abbey I've got a pack of all the essays I have written since last July, most of which had band 6 (though I don't trust teachers marking) and some other resources which I found helpful and I'm happy to send them over to anyone who messages me their e-mail xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending