The Student Room Group

Olympos

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Thiseas
Today's workout really made me consider some things. I definitely have to make some changes. The Overhead Press was worse than last week and even my bench suffered because of it. On a positive note, my light Front Squats were not affected and I was able to do 5x3 (116 kg/255 lbs.) with a pause and explosively.

Whats wrong with your current routine? Seriously jelly of your weighted ring chin ups!
Reply 61
Original post by In One Ear
Whats wrong with your current routine? Seriously jelly of your weighted ring chin ups!

Just might change the Overhead Press (with a clean) and replace it with a Strict Press from a rack. These last two weeks haven't been so good for my OHP sessions. I feel I'm going to get some very big PR's on Deadlift and Squat, so all the other sessions are going great.
Reply 62
Today's workout:

- Deadlift: 1x3, 1x2, 1x2, 1x1, 6x1 (164 kg / 360 lbs.)
- Weighted Ring Bulgarian Pull Ups: 4x10 (20 kg / 45 lbs.)
- Light Squats: 1x3, 1x2, 4x6 (120 kg / 265 lbs.)
- Other back and legs work.

The goal was for sets of 3's on the deadlift, but I only managed singles. Having said that, those singles were extremely explosive, so it makes me wonder why I could only do singles. The squats were extremely easy and with a nice tempo. On another note, I found the missing link on my deadlift development. Shrugs. I hadn't done shrugs in ages, today I did 4x12 just to try them again, and it was like an epiphany. I'm sure I can add over 20 pounds to my deadlift with proper trap development.

Motivation vid:
[video="youtube;1ydBkk2Nv4c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ydBkk2Nv4c[/video]
Reply 63
Today's workout:

- Bench Press: 1x3, 1x2, 1x2, 5x3 (109 kg / 240 lbs.)
- Behind the Neck Press (Strict): 1x6, 4x10 (62 kg / 135 lbs.)
- Other chest and shoulder work.

First time I do Behind the Neck Presses. Went light just in case. Got a very nice burn that got me laughing. Also confirmed that I'm stronger benching close grip, rather than wide. Bench Press was easy.

Motivation vid:
[video="youtube;v5Do0YXJKMM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5Do0YXJKMM[/video]
Reply 64
Yesterday's workout:

- Squats: 1x3, 1x2, 1x2, 5x3 (134 kg / 295 lbs.)
- Front Squats: 1x3, 2x6 (105 kg / 230 lbs.) * Just to get used to them.
- Weighted Ring Chin Ups: 4x12 (20 kg / 45 lbs.)
- Stiff Legged Deadlift: 4x8 (136 kg / 300 lbs.) * Just to feel the stretch.
- Other legs and back work.

I'll be testing my maxes this week. I've started to correct my weak areas and I'm seeing results.
Major changes to be made to the big lifts:
- Removing the clean from the presses. Now I will press from a rack.
- Deadlifting conventional. I was deadlifting with an almost snatch grip. Now I will deadlift the "conventional" way.

Motivation vid:
[video="youtube;wUUJcj7Ct5c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUUJcj7Ct5c[/video]

Reply 65
Testing maxes this week. Today I did Strict Press and Front Squats. The Front Squats were brutal near the end. My legs were probably good for 45 kg more, but my wrists need to get used to the load.
Original post by Thiseas
Testing maxes this week. Today I did Strict Press and Front Squats. The Front Squats were brutal near the end. My legs were probably good for 45 kg more, but my wrists need to get used to the load.

What did you get for the lifts?
Reply 67
Original post by Motorbiker
What did you get for the lifts?

I didn't go all out with the Strict Press as I've decided to use the same weight or just increase it by 3 kg. I removed the clean, narrowed my grip, and I'm going to do higher reps with it.

Front Squat - 118 kg / 260 lbs.
I was good for a lot more weight, but I had a "funny" moment with my wrists on the last set, so I decided to stop there. It's not my main lift, so I'm happy with the result anyway.
Reply 68
Tested the deadlift today. Got 186 kg / 410 lbs. Felt my back had a lot more in the tank, but my grip was giving out.
Reply 69
Tested my Bench Press today. Got 125 kg / 275 lbs. Was very explosive and could have gotten more if I was able to use more leg drive. Can't use much leg drive as my bench is not locked in place. Tried 128 kg but I found it to be very taxing.

Motivation vid:
[video="youtube;XaIABTudX9U"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaIABTudX9U[/video]
Reply 70
Tested the Squat today. Got 157 kg / 345 lbs. I was aiming at more weight, but it's still a good gain. I'm starting to think my Squat is going to be higher than my deadlift in the near future. It's something I'll have to analyze.

Motivation vid:
[video="youtube;0YjR4xpujjQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YjR4xpujjQ[/video]
Reply 71
Anybody still following?
The first page was updated with new stats.
:yes:
Original post by Thiseas
Anybody still following?
The first page was updated with new stats.

Yea, i follow.

Could do with more vids of you and less random other motivational videos though. :wink:
Good squat bro. Considering your insanely high strict press I was kinda expecting a bigger squat. I mean that in a good way even though they are totally unrelated lifts.

Also post around in the muscle society, other people's blogs. Share the love, circle of life and all that, then you'll get more responses too. Kinda hard to get familiar with someone who only posts in one thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
Original post by Jtking3000
:yes:

Cool, man.

Original post by Motorbiker
Yea, i follow.

Could do with more vids of you and less random other motivational videos though. :wink:

Haha. The motivation vids are related though. They're what I watch before the workout.
I could upload weekly vids. I haven't done so as I don't consider my numbers worthy of being shot and uploaded. My numbers are still far from optimal.

Original post by silent ninja
Good squat bro. Considering your insanely high strict press I was kinda expecting a bigger squat. I mean that in a good way even though they are totally unrelated lifts.

Also post around in the muscle society, other people's blogs. Share the love, circle of life and all that, then you'll get more responses too. Kinda hard to get familiar with someone who only posts in one thread.

Yeah, I get you. I've actually been following all your logs (all you bros).
Original post by Thiseas

Yeah, I get you. I've actually been following all your logs (all you bros).

So why did you cut down on the calisthenic stuff? Just curious.
Reply 77
Original post by silent ninja
So why did you cut down on the calisthenic stuff? Just curious.

I didn't cut them out completely. I still do the movements with most carryover, heavy. When I write "Other X and X work" that's where the heavy ring work and other movements go.
I kept the "best" and most functional movements, as well as some static work.
Reply 78
Last week was great. Performed everything as planned. On my deadlift day I visualized Magnússon and his fast and explosive deadlifts, and my deadlifts were very explosive. My lats have definitely gotten stronger, as my previously "heavy rows" are now very smooth. My traps have gotten stronger thanks to shrugs (obvious, huh?) and that must obviously be helping my deadlifts.
Reply 79
Haven't updated as I'll be traveling a lot this month and the next. Been very busy, but of course, I haven't missed a workout. So far I haven't missed a lift and everything's been going as planned. Due to the traveling, I'll have to test my maxes two weeks after I finish. So I'll see if the "rest" will do me good.

Quick Reply

Latest