The Student Room Group
Reply 1
me!
is the symbol for standard deviation lower case sigma, and is the symbol for spearman's correlation coefficient rho?

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

yep sort off.

rho represents both product moment and spearmans rank as the estimated correlation of the population at a certain significance level.

with sigma your spot on!
Reply 2
Meeps
yep sort off.

rho represents both product moment and spearmans rank as the estimated correlation of the population at a certain significance level.

with sigma your spot on!

I might just use the r subsript thing >>>s for spearmans
Reply 3
me!
is the symbol for standard deviation lower case sigma, and is the symbol for spearman's correlation coefficient rho?

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

Sigma on its own regardless of whether it is lower or upper case is the standard deviation. Variance is S.d squared.
Reply 4
Bhaal85
Sigma on its own regardless of whether it is lower or upper case is the standard deviation. Variance is S.d squared.

I don't suppose you would know how to work out PMC? I've got this formula for spearman's rank, and I've worked that out...
Reply 5
me!
I don't suppose you would know how to work out PMC? I've got this formula for spearman's rank, and I've worked that out...

Product moment correlation coeffiecent?
Reply 6
Bhaal85
Product moment correlation coeffiecent?

yep... is spearmans rank and spearmans rho the same thing?
Reply 7
me!
yep... is spearmans rank and spearmans rho the same thing?

I have done Spearmans ranks correlation coefficient but not rho, what is that?

Would you like me to explain how to do PMCC?
Reply 8
Bhaal85
I have done Spearmans ranks correlation coefficient but not rho, what is that?

Would you like me to explain how to do PMCC?

Jsut curious, but why on earth are they allowing you to do PMCC, as it is A-level stats?
Reply 9
Bhaal85
Jsut curious, but why on earth are they allowing you to do PMCC, as it is A-level stats?

it's GCSE... yeasssss I would be very greatfull if you could explain it :biggrin:

I think spearmans rank and spearmans rho is the same thing but i'm not sure...

EDIT: I meant I'm doing GCSE stats, not that PMCC was GCSE
Reply 10
me!
it's GCSE... yeasssss I would be very greatfull if you could explain it :biggrin:

I think spearmans rank and spearmans rho is the same thing but i'm not sure...

Well I only got 90/100 in Statistics 1 at A-level. I'll try my best.

PMCC = Sxy / (Sxx * Syy) where:

Sxy = SigmaXY - 1/N(SigmaX*SigmaY)
Sxx = SigmaX^2 - N(X mean squared)
Syy = SigmaY^2 - N(Y mean Squared)
Reply 11
Bhaal85
Well I only got 90/100 in Statistics 1 at A-level. I'll try my best.

PMCC = Sxy / (Sxx * Syy) where:

Sxy = SigmaXY - 1/N(SigmaX*SigmaY)
Sxx = SigmaX^2 - N(X mean squared)
Syy = SigmaY^2 - N(Y mean Squared)

You will basically set out five collums, with the headings 'X', 'Y', 'X^2', 'Y^2', AND 'X*Y'. You would then enter the appropriate values. 'N' would represent the number of pairs of data.

E.g

(2,3), (4,5), (2,0)

In the above case 'N' would be three.

After entering the data in the appropriate collumns. You would then calculate the total for each column, hence the Sigma. So the the total of the 'X' column would be called SigmaX, the total of the column 'Y' would be SigmaY, the total of the column 'X*Y' would be called SigmaXY, etc.
Reply 12
http://www.mathsnet.net

Great site for more info.
Reply 13
Thanks Bhaal, it looked kind of complicated but I think I actually understand it :eek:
Reply 14
me!
Thanks Bhaal, it looked kind of complicated but I think I actually understand it :eek:

Your Welcome.
Reply 15
I got another question if anyone would like to help me... Has variance got something to do with the least squares regression line thing?

Latest