The Student Room Group

Just went home and cried after my seminar

So , I went into a seminar for one of my optional modules , and I’ve realised that everyone is somewhat smart or extremely intelligent. I was the first person prompted to speak , I got the question wrong and the seminar leader kind of kept pushing me to add on and speak but I had no idea how to add on or talk more . I made the effort to go today , I’ve been trying to go to all of my lectures and I want to go to all my seminars but this was a major let down . I just went straight back to my accommodation and cried , I want to change my module because it also felt as if the people in the seminar are just really smart and clever to be honest and I felt really stupid . I don’t know what to do with university anymore. I’m trying my best and it’s still too much.
Original post by 887gi6676
So , I went into a seminar for one of my optional modules , and I’ve realised that everyone is somewhat smart or extremely intelligent. I was the first person prompted to speak , I got the question wrong and the seminar leader kind of kept pushing me to add on and speak but I had no idea how to add on or talk more . I made the effort to go today , I’ve been trying to go to all of my lectures and I want to go to all my seminars but this was a major let down . I just went straight back to my accommodation and cried , I want to change my module because it also felt as if the people in the seminar are just really smart and clever to be honest and I felt really stupid . I don’t know what to do with university anymore. I’m trying my best and it’s still too much.

Hey, I understand how you feel, currently have just gone in 3rd year and a piece of advice would be is to not worry too much about getting anything wrong as your there to learn, i used to feel the same; never used to answer any questions from the lecturers however over time if i felt like i knew the answer i would just say it out loud, its part of growth to get stuff wrong as you take the correct answers in mind.

There will be people who have more knowledge than you or maybe smarter but your all doing the same course learning together, dont feel like you are any less than them, keep trying as uni will fly past without you knowing because im in that position myself.

Everyone learns differently and are on their own pace of learning, all the best x

Hey, sorry to hear you had an upsetting experience but try not to let it get to you. You're at University to learn, if you were an expert on everything why would you be going? try and look at it as a positive, although I know it can feel like you're not 'smart enough' or embarrassing when you don't have all the right answers but now you know where you might need to brush up on your knowledge. I can guarantee there will be lots of people there who feel the same way :smile:
Reply 3
Part of learning is getting things wrong. It amazes me how many teachers do not normalise collaborative risk-taking and wrongness in education.

It us 100% expected and normal to get things wrong.

Comparing yourself to what are at this early stage unknown entities is silly, as is changing the module.

Additionally, you can't spend your life running off when things get tough, awkward, or you feel a bit daft. Take it on the chin and crack on. You don't need to explain yourself to any of your peers.
Reply 4
Experiences like this can feel quite crushing but in good time you will recognise that they were simply part of the learning experience. Don't chuck the module for this reason. Focus on the assessments and making use of the support structures and assessment guidance within the module. And keep attending lectures and seminars just as you are doing.

Sounds like you had a one off bad experience, the important thing is to not let it impact the rest of your time. Everyone slips up now and then, the key is how you let it affect you. Do some extra reading or go over your notes before class, maybe even practice some questions beforehand to ask and try again.

@887gi6676

Yeah, it's horrible when you feel like you've embarrassed yourself in front of all your peers and your like ' What must they think of me?" What must the lecturer think of me? " Why couldn't I think of something or some how bluff my way through the answer? (I have been there!) It's horrible, but you have had time to process it and now you can think about what you can learn from this.

1. Your lecturer was not trying to embarrass you or make you feel awkward. They needed to start with somebody and they chose you. They were trying to develop your answer or to test your understanding by asking you further questions.

2. You have time to go over the things that you are not clear about before your next seminar. Perhaps you even have time to read a little ahead so that you can feel more confident with the topic. Everything is a learning point.

3.No one knows everything! Everyone can learn from the next person. Your class mates will learn from you and you will learn from them!

4. You are unlikely to be asked another question from that same seminar lecturer for awhile as they will understand that you felt really awkward being asked on the spot.

5. You can turn the situation around by doing your reading and by being pro-active. Ask questions rather than waiting to be asked.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Reply 7
Original post by gjd800
Part of learning is getting things wrong. It amazes me how many teachers do not normalise collaborative risk-taking and wrongness in education.

It us 100% expected and normal to get things wrong.

Comparing yourself to what are at this early stage unknown entities is silly, as is changing the module.

Additionally, you can't spend your life running off when things get tough, awkward, or you feel a bit daft. Take it on the chin and crack on. You don't need to explain yourself to any of your peers.

This is really true . I went to another seminar the day after and it was a tiny bit awkward but this time I was the one being talkative and confident and actually discussing whereas everyone else was quiet sort of. I’m definitely going to take your advice , catch up on all that I’ve missed and go to or try and go to all of my lectures and seminars . Thank you so much . You’re truly a really kind person . It’s the fact that I want to aim for a 2:1 and it feels tough but I think if I keep on top of it and just crack on I should be okay. It’s only my first seminar anyhow 😭
Reply 8
Original post by University of Huddersfield
@887gi6676

Yeah, it's horrible when you feel like you've embarrassed yourself in front of all your peers and your like ' What must they think of me?" What must the lecturer think of me? " Why couldn't I think of something or some how bluff my way through the answer? (I have been there!) It's horrible, but you have had time to process it and now you can think about what you can learn from this.

1. Your lecturer was not trying to embarrass you or make you feel awkward. They needed to start with somebody and they chose you. They were trying to develop your answer or to test your understanding by asking you further questions.

2. You have time to go over the things that you are not clear about before your next seminar. Perhaps you even have time to read a little ahead so that you can feel more confident with the topic. Everything is a learning point.

3.No one knows everything! Everyone can learn from the next person. Your class mates will learn from you and you will learn from them!

4. You are unlikely to be asked another question from that same seminar lecturer for awhile as they will understand that you felt really awkward being asked on the spot.

5. You can turn the situation around by doing your reading and by being pro-active. Ask questions rather than waiting to be asked.

All the best,

Honestly thank you so much for this . It does mean a lot . It’s definitely true and right that I should get more proactive and try and learn and read as much as I can about everything about my course . In the end we’re all there to get a degree . It doesn’t matter what else happens , I should be getting a degree by the end of all of this .
Reply 9
Original post by University of Sunderland Student Ambassador
Sounds like you had a one off bad experience, the important thing is to not let it impact the rest of your time. Everyone slips up now and then, the key is how you let it affect you. Do some extra reading or go over your notes before class, maybe even practice some questions beforehand to ask and try again.

I shall try again!

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear that you are upset.

Please do not worry yourself too much. It is good that you have attempted to go to all your lectures and seminars. Do not worry about getting wrong answers in lessons, you are there to learn after all. It is all to build up to getting good grades for coursework.

It is normal not to understand all the content, which is what seminars are there for. You get to ask questions and develop your knowledge, what is important is continuing to participate and keeping up the effort! :smile:

People may be a different starting points e.g. they may have prior knowledge from their A levels. It may give them a bit of a head start, but please do not let it put you off going to seminars. (Not only can your learn from your seminar leaders, you can also learn from your peers).

Hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep
Honestly thank you so much for this . It does mean a lot . It’s definitely true and right that I should get more proactive and try and learn and read as much as I can about everything about my course . In the end we’re all there to get a degree . It doesn’t matter what else happens , I should be getting a degree by the end of all of this .

@887gi6676

Don't be intimidated!

You got on to the course because they believed you could do well and you can (!) but it is important to be pro-active!

It is okay not to know stuff, but once you know that you don't know stuff, it's on you to get that book out from the library, to go over your notes, to read that journal article or to ask for help from your class mate.

You've got this!

All the best,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending