The Student Room Group

Recession Bully Bosses on the Rise.

http://www.tlnt.com/2012/08/29/new-study-finds-that-workplace-bullying-is-on-the-rise/

Stills news worthy. This week the CAB contacted me about my case concerning the bullying at work by the megalomanic executive bosses and my incompetent PMT witch of a line manager. I no longer have a job and feel much better for leaving that madness. I asked the CAB woman about this issue yesterday and she said that over the past two years there has been a steady rise in the number of people either wanting advice on what to do with a bullying boss or people wanting to take their company boss to tribunal over intimidation and harrassment.

She said that bullying occurs whenever there is a recession. Does anyone know the pyschology behind this? In my view, a recession bites, the big company boss losses profits; he then pulls rank, which cascades down to the lower levels. When nothing changes the bosses pull more rank and then bullying ensues. I put it like this because I think that this is what happened in the place that I worked at for 6 months when almost everyone got bullied; the cleaners the more so.

The sales team, for example, could not get their targets and so the bosses increased (yes! increased) their target rate. Eventually more than half the sales team were sacked, or walked out. Then the cleaners were put on a target driven cleaning schedule. The gym was spotless but the targets were not being met. Consequently, only two cleaners out of six now remain. The executive bosses were quite nasty, had no respect for the staff, and nothing was good enough for them.

I suspected myself that the recession and this emphasis on profit was the cause of most of this bullying.

And this week my brother Simon (not Matthew!) is taking his boss to the tribunal over harrassment and bullying. He has worked on the trains for years and does his job very well, and over the past year the bullying started.

What do you think? Any experiences?
Recession always brings back old school tactics and views? I can't forget TV shows such as Dragons Den and The Apprentice. Some bosses just don't get that these shows exist for entertainment purposes.

Being the boss that everyone fears and who everyone bows down to like Alan Sugar isn't good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending