The Student Room Group

How can I ask for a pay rise

I've been working at my part time job for a bit on and off and was wondering if I can get a payrise, I now work £7 an hour and heard that all my friends get paid £10 an hour. I have got another job offer that pays £10.50 an hour but I don't like it as much (my current job is also more catered to my dream uni subject). How can I ask my boss for a payrise?

However my boss is very nice and caring and does treat me well (helps me out with applications), I don't want to sour our relationship, how should I broach this?
Reply 1
Original post by toothysmile
I've been working at my part time job for a bit on and off and was wondering if I can get a payrise, I now work £7 an hour and heard that all my friends get paid £10 an hour. I have got another job offer that pays £10.50 an hour but I don't like it as much (my current job is also more catered to my dream uni subject). How can I ask my boss for a payrise?

However my boss is very nice and caring and does treat me well (helps me out with applications), I don't want to sour our relationship, how should I broach this?

Im no expert but I think at this point, you should weigh that is important to you. If a pay raise is what you need, then ask for it. I know it is hard but believe me, in the long run it will stress you out that you are not getting paid as what you think/feel you deserve. If you really have a good relationship with your boss, as long as you ask sincerely and respectfully (maybe list out the reasons why you deserve a raise), I think he would understand. In the end, its still up to your boss if he can afford to give you a raise. Its worth giving a shot. If he doesn't give you a raise and the relationship turns sour, by then you should know to find another job. It wont be a healthy relationship starting then.
Reply 2
Update: got the payrise!!! 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending