The Student Room Group

Anyone for the death penalty please look at this.

Scroll to see replies

Just because I agree with the Death Penalty doesn't mean I agree with the United States of America's justice system or their way of doing things, I would only have the Death Penalty for crimes that can be 100% proven with no doubt what so ever i.e like that Norwegian loonball, Osama Bin Laden etc... Why isn't the Death Penalty justice? human life isn't precious when that person is the lowest of the low.
Original post by Shabalala
Just because I agree with the Death Penalty doesn't mean I agree with the United States of America's justice system or their way of doing things, I would only have the Death Penalty for crimes that can be 100% proven with no doubt what so ever i.e like that Norwegian loonball, Osama Bin Laden etc... Why isn't the Death Penalty justice? human life isn't precious when that person is the lowest of the low.

Oh you mean like the Birmingham Six, Guildford Four, Maguire Seven: all unlawfully convicted, all quashed 15 years down the line. What would have your opinion been then mr.justice? Hang the scumbags?

Definitely guilty? Trials for terrorism are very secretive. There is no media coverage. Our government now wants to introduce SECRET COURTS. Some of the Terror suspects of 9/11 have been in isolation for years and one in particular water boarded over 150 times. If you had any understanding of justice and any knowledge of the thousands of "definitely guilty" people have been put to death.

Terrorism is an atrocious activity and cannot be condoned, but either way, we should not execute people we think are evil or low. Look at Nuremburg, the trials there, most of what was declared illegal was anything the axis did we didn't. It's a fine line in jurisprudence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm hungry now...
Original post by Decerto
I just don't think it is right to kill someone who has committed a crime especially when there is always some uncertainty about if they did it or not. Most of the time they probably did commit, but I guess this isn't always the case.

I know right... Are'nt they just as bad to murder a suspect as a punishment?
Reply 24
The problem is that the USA are too willing to use the death penalty. I'm on the fence on whether it should be used or not. However if it is to be used then it must only be in circumstances where it is 100% sure the person was guilty (like in the case of Brevik) and where the person has committed crimes of that size (mass murder).

Normal murderers/violent thiefs should not get the death penatly as then it is just revenge.
Original post by kk_15
I know right... Are'nt they just as bad to murder a suspect as a punishment?

I know right...imagine the government being able to imprison a kidnapper! :rolleyes:

Governments are not individual civilians, therefore they have powers that individual civilians do not have. They can declare war, make laws, imprison people, spy on people etc etc etc The argument that the death penalty is wrong because it's killing a killer is one of the most stupid ones going.

Anyway, a lot of you are saying you prefer 100 guilty people to go free over one innocent person getting killed. That's pretty funny when you consider the damage 100 guilty people can do. Let's say they each murder one person, that's 99 extra dead innocents over your one. And it's not as if the literature on the death penalty disagrees with this; if a state executes more than 9 people a year the death penalty has a deterrent effect (Shepherd 2005); that's many murders deterred and therefore many more innocent lives saved. But hey, that's just research, it's way more fun to make uneducated comments on a subject you've done nothing more in most cases than read Guardian articles about.
(edited 11 years ago)
state sanctioned first degree premeditated killing of citizens against their will is never, under any circumstances, justifiable. I certainly don't need to know that innocent people may have got killed, even if they're all guilty (which is impossible to prove, and highly unlikely), this disgusting act still should not exist.
But things like this could really help those who are swinging on the issue.
Reply 27
I'm a bit weird about this because I think that capital punishment should be applied to those who commit massacres and a life-time in jail to those who do single murders. Usually, I'm against the death penalty overall but I feel like those who commit mass murders shouldn't even be here, I really do feel like some of those are actually born evil. Anyway that's my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
the article says that since 1973 142 people have been wrongly executed.

i wonder why the article does not mention how many people have been murdered by released convicted murderer?

in britain its roughly 3 people a year, in america that number will be lot higher. so, even though its terrible that 142 innocent people have been wrongly executed, the facts are that number is small in comparison to the innocent people murdered by released murderers.

maybe people should think of these people before making up their minds on this issue.
It seems that no one in the US is executed for simply committing a murder in plain view of witnesses or caught on camera, or who has DNA evidence tie them conclusively to the crime. If it is the case that practically no one who is convicted of murder in that country is actually guilty then the problem is not with the method of punishment. How much better would it be to face 60 years of solitary confinement for a crime you didn't do? Personally I would rather the quick way out.
Reply 30
Original post by miser
The fundamental problem with capital punishment is that execution is not justice, it is revenge.

It's not so much about revenge as it is about keeping any moral high ground. The moment you condemn a man to death you've lost that and every shred of integrity that separates you from the criminal.
Reply 31
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
I don't know why but I find those images really saddening and disturbing to look at. :frown:
Original post by miser
The fundamental problem with capital punishment is that execution is not justice, it is revenge.

I would say being executed for taking someones life is justice.
Original post by Kiss
It's not so much about revenge as it is about keeping any moral high ground. The moment you condemn a man to death you've lost that and every shred of integrity that separates you from the criminal.

Absolute rubbish. Judges who condemn murderers to death are ntohing like the murderer who has taken an inncoent persons life.
I agree with the idea of executing someone for a capital offence, however the difficulty lies within the process. The problem isn't the death penalty, but the methods used to hand it out.
Reply 36
All these people saying life in prison is better than being executed - is it really? Personally I think I would rather die.
I don't agree with the death penalty though, too much of a grey area morally
Maybe they should let the criminal choose.
Reply 37
Original post by Jacob :)
http://www.ibtimes.com/last-meals-innocent-men-amnesty-international-highlights-steep-price-capital-punishment-photos

This article shows the lasts meals of some of the innocent men who have been killed in the USA. Imagine having to come to terms with the fact you will be killed for something you didn't even do.

It is better to let 100 guilty men live than kill one innocent man.

I completely disagree with the death penalty. It's just legalized murder. There's nothing moral or humane about it. Even in the case of those who truly are guilty of awful crimes, surely making them live with what they have done, and have them wake up every day to remember it all over again, is a better idea. I think for some of the death row criminals, death would come as a blessing.
Despite all this, at least the US goes through a long process before executing people, but it does ask questions like how innocents get caught up in there.
Original post by Klutzz
I completely disagree with the death penalty. It's just legalized murder. There's nothing moral or humane about it. Even in the case of those who truly are guilty of awful crimes, surely making them live with what they have done, and have them wake up every day to remember it all over again, is a better idea.

Prison? Isn't that just legalised kidnapping?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending