The Student Room Group

scared of my parents.

Original post by Yendis
There's not one day where I don't feel safe anytime I enter the same house as them.

I hate being scared, I hate being in fear. I've tried communicating with them(as per recommendation by friends and family) but that lead to no avail. I do have cases of social anxiety and depression and that alone is hard for a modern African family to accept.

The first time I tried to get them both down to talking, they assumed and actually believed I was on drugs. The second time, they threatened to beat me. The third (and final time), my own mother informed me that she would go to purchase canes primarily for beating the so-called 'demon' out of my body. That alone reassured me that I could never truly confide in my parents, who should be the first group of people you should seek for help and advice. Not with mine. It just emotionally detached me from them.

I'm currently in A2 and nevertheless, I am panicking to such a huge degree. Even to the point where nights become restless and I'm always on edge whenever they're around. Of course, secondary school didn't go the way that they expected or even wanted (regardless of the fact that I was proud to even achieve an A* in both Maths and English). My self-esteem is completely tarnished because of them, constantly comparing me to others and being so arrogant as to not hear me out. It sucks.

Most of the time, I don't go to eat whenever they're around. That's a policy I've made for myself. This is because of my dad. Mainly scared of him. I don't like to eat around him due to the way I was treated in childhood (he was more aggressive back then). He's home almost all day so that alone makes me scared, leaving me holed up in my own room. The only time I do come out is to greet my mum whenever she comes home from work which I HAVE to do due the morals my parents were taught.

Parents evening is tonight and even though I haven't done anything bad, I haven't misbehaved. Got my homework in on or ahead of time. Nothing bad to report. Yet I know, within that glimpse of a light, my parents will always find a shadow to complain about. I'm not going with them. My plan was to leave home as soon as they left, I can not face being around or receiving another lecture from them as to destroy my psychological state of mind. I can not. I can't sleep at night, I can't be comfortable during the day. I can't act like myself around them. It's destroying me inside.

I don't know what to do.

I'm in the exact same position. This is the first time it feels like someone relates to me. I want to run away, far away from them tonlive on my own. But I'm 17, and I don't have any money with me to do so. I'm scared to death and I desperately need someone to help me.
Original post by sadhana_1
I'm in the exact same position. This is the first time it feels like someone relates to me. I want to run away, far away from them tonlive on my own. But I'm 17, and I don't have any money with me to do so. I'm scared to death and I desperately need someone to help me.

Hi there,

Sorry you are going through this.

Just reaching out to you as I wanted to let you know there is support available out there that may be of use:

- Victim Support
https://www.victimsupport.org.uk/
Get in touch anytime for independent, free, and confidential advice:
Call Supportline on 08 08 16 89 111

- NSPCC
Please call the NSPCC Helpline on 0808 800 5000 or email [email protected]. Please note that you still have the option to request anonymity via call or emails.

- Childline
Childline is free to contact on 0800 1111. Childline counsellors are here to take calls 24 hours a day, 7 days a week from children and young people under 19. Childline counsellors are also available to speak to online through 1-2-1 chat and via email.

- Refuge - Anyone, domestic violence

Hope you find this useful and please come into ATCS if you have any further questions.

Look after yourself.

Best wishes,
TSR Support
not parents but whole enviornment is fearful around me like being in a shell

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending