The Student Room Group

Need some books recommended (to do with maths)

Hello, I'm near finishing Fermat's Last Theorem, and I feel 1 book isn't enough to discuss on my PS; are there any other interesting mathematical reads to bolster my PS and general appreciation for maths? I'm thinking of Applying to Cambridge so I'd like to demonstrate my interest in maths.
Original post by Robbie242
Hello, I'm near finishing Fermat's Last Theorem, and I feel 1 book isn't enough to discuss on my PS; are there any other interesting mathematical reads to bolster my PS and general appreciation for maths? I'm thinking of Applying to Cambridge so I'd like to demonstrate my interest in maths.

The only books I read before applying (unsuccessfully though :tongue:) to Cambridge were Fermat's last theorem, the code book and music of the primes. However, I felt that when reading the music of the primes, a lot of it was just a repeat of what I had read in the first two books.

So you may want to choose a book less related to number theory. But I don't have any suggestions as I haven't read any others.
Reply 2
Original post by brittanna
The only books I read before applying (unsuccessfully though :tongue:) to Cambridge were Fermat's last theorem, the code book and music of the primes. However, I felt that when reading the music of the primes, a lot of it was just a repeat of what I had read in the first two books.

So you may want to choose a book less related to number theory. But I don't have any suggestions as I haven't read any others.
I'll have a look at the code book, thanks for the suggestion, and I'm open to more stuff than just pure number theory, e.g. calculus, geometry, Trig etc

And sorry about Cambridge, I'm sure you'll be good wherever you go! :biggrin:
Original post by Robbie242
I'll have a look at the code book, thanks for the suggestion, and I'm open to more stuff than just pure number theory, e.g. calculus, geometry, Trig etc

And sorry about Cambridge, I'm sure you'll be good wherever you go! :biggrin:

The only thing with the code book is that it isn't as directly relatedto mathematics, it was just more something I was interested in.

You may want to look at this as well:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:0dhdUKzwyqcJ:www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/admissions/readinglist.pdf+&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjYB-rXYPM4zt_bGxvwLQ5TAkrzpzaNfw7wYNsLlNwM9SAeoaI3UtOJ7soGVsGnOOnGR5rFhc2FjZNmaecp1kAOQmVJp5dWEdZk7P2nu5gpFwjIXugtYKWCCmLRwqD8KNOscT_f&sig=AHIEtbTVdrJApGuF-H7-1DAjNpZ9KwMkNQ

It is a reading list from the university of Cambridge, with the books separated into different categories.
Reply 4
Original post by brittanna
The only thing with the code book is that it isn't as directly relatedto mathematics, it was just more something I was interested in.

You may want to look at this as well:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:0dhdUKzwyqcJ:www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/admissions/readinglist.pdf+&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjYB-rXYPM4zt_bGxvwLQ5TAkrzpzaNfw7wYNsLlNwM9SAeoaI3UtOJ7soGVsGnOOnGR5rFhc2FjZNmaecp1kAOQmVJp5dWEdZk7P2nu5gpFwjIXugtYKWCCmLRwqD8KNOscT_f&sig=AHIEtbTVdrJApGuF-H7-1DAjNpZ9KwMkNQ

It is a reading list from the university of Cambridge, with the books separated into different categories.
Ooh thanks a lot! I'll try to pick out a few books from here and give them a read! cheers
Reply 5

Quick Reply

Latest