The Student Room Group

Are my chosen alevel subjects ok for taking architecture at uni?

Im just finishing my gcses and have chosen maths,graphic communications, product design and film studies for alevel. I want to do architecture at uni, are these alevels ok for this or do i need to take physics?
Reply 1
Most universities don’t require specific subjects to be taken. You could have chosen the 3 easiest subjects like business and phschology (studying art may appeal some universities) and still be able to do architecture at university. Is there any specific universities you want to go?
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
Congrats on finishing your GCSEs! Math, graphic communications, product design, and film studies are great A-level choices for architecture at uni. Physics isn't always required, but it can be helpful. Check uni requirements, but don't stress if you haven't taken it. Focus on doing well overall and showcasing your passion through your extracurriculars. Good luck with your A-levels and future in architecture!
Reply 3
Original post by Den322221
Most universities don’t require specific subjects to be taken. You could have chosen the 3 easiest subjects like business and phschology (studying art may appeal some universities) and still be able to do architecture at university. Is there any specific universities you want to go?
ive only looked at bath so far, but ive been searching around no where has really specified if you need certain subjects or not, so thank you so much :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ginge33
ive only looked at bath so far, but ive been searching around no where has really specified if you need certain subjects or not, so thank you so much :smile:

I think it mostly matters on your personal statement and how enthusiastic you are. I’ve heard they are removing personal statements so I’m not sure how the application process would be. Just be sure to show universities that your passionate and really want to study architecture. Good luck going forward
Reply 5
Original post by Den322221
I think it mostly matters on your personal statement and how enthusiastic you are. I’ve heard they are removing personal statements so I’m not sure how the application process would be. Just be sure to show universities that your passionate and really want to study architecture. Good luck going forward

so doing more extracurriculars like work experience and my school offers an termly extra maths thing would help?
Original post by ginge33
Im just finishing my gcses and have chosen maths,graphic communications, product design and film studies for alevel. I want to do architecture at uni, are these alevels ok for this or do i need to take physics?

Unis only require three A levels and you don't get bonus points for doing extra, so I'd recommend you drop one of your subjects. The majority of architecture courses don't have specific subject requirements. I've compiled a table of A level requirements for all RIBA validated architecture courses in the UK on the following thread:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7361710
Reply 7
Original post by ginge33
so doing more extracurriculars like work experience and my school offers an termly extra maths thing would help?

Not always, but it may help
Original post by ginge33

Work experience isn't expected for architecture and doing extra maths isn't necessary. An architecture degree is design based so put time into developing your drawing skills and preparing your portfolio (needed by most unis as part of the application process). You could also read the odd book from Cambridge's suggested reading list:

https://www.arct.cam.ac.uk/Downloads/books-recommended-for-reading
Reply 9
Original post by ginge33

Heya!

I would recommend looking up some entry requirements and seeing what they need :h: You can use uniguide for it as well. If there is nothing specific, you are OK with the alvls you chose!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest