The Student Room Group

just starting a-levels

I'm hoping to do 3 A-Levels alongside an AS and aren't sure of what to really buy. I've followed some recommendations such as buying folders for each A-Level and a notebook. Would I need anything else? The A-Levels I've picked are English Lit, History, and Maths and my AS is Further Maths.
hey,

my advice is definitely buy 3 folders and a notebook. you're definitely going to need basic stationery and a scientific calculator. Maybe have a separate folder for each piece of coursework if you have to do it, it's easier, Maybe get a packet of highlighters so you have it when you need it in studying and in class and maybe sign up to a free quizlet account as it's extremely helpful. a clear pencil case is necessary as well as a black pen.

Make sure you have a pencil case and a bag you like as it's easier when you see it in the mornings if you hate school everyday and sure it's a big and strong bag as each folder and each book gets extremely heavy. Maybe have a seperate folder for creating any notes as well as seperate sheets at school, a simle small one will suffice.

Maybe get some flashcards and paper to create study notes along the way as it's easier as well as extremely effective.

even if it seems a lot, it isn't and everything you can do is your best, good luck in sixth form!
Reply 2
I did English Lit in my a levels and i'd recommend not buying the books until its confirmed by the sixthform what you'll be studying since every sixthform book varies.

But other than that I'd recommend getting stationary like maybe highlighters it might be helpful for english lit, definitely folders for English Lit as you'll need to be very organised and perhaps flashcards :smile: good luck!
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Confused kitten
hey,

my advice is definitely buy 3 folders and a notebook. you're definitely going to need basic stationery and a scientific calculator. Maybe have a separate folder for each piece of coursework if you have to do it, it's easier, Maybe get a packet of highlighters so you have it when you need it in studying and in class and maybe sign up to a free quizlet account as it's extremely helpful. a clear pencil case is necessary as well as a black pen.

Make sure you have a pencil case and a bag you like as it's easier when you see it in the mornings if you hate school everyday and sure it's a big and strong bag as each folder and each book gets extremely heavy. Maybe have a seperate folder for creating any notes as well as seperate sheets at school, a simle small one will suffice.

Maybe get some flashcards and paper to create study notes along the way as it's easier as well as extremely effective.

even if it seems a lot, it isn't and everything you can do is your best, good luck in sixth form!

thank you so much!
Reply 4
thank you!!

Original post by Idkhelplol
I did English Lit in my a levels and i'd recommend not buying the books until its confirmed by the sixthform what you'll be studying since every sixthform book varies.

But other than that I'd recommend getting stationary like maybe highlighters it might be helpful for english lit, definitely folders for English Lit as you'll need to be very organised and perhaps flashcards :smile: good luck!
You're going to need a classwiz scientific calculator for maths
Reply 6
Original post by thrivingfrog
You're going to need a classwiz scientific calculator for maths

Is it supposed to be a step-up from the scientific calculator I normally used during GCSEs?
Reply 7
Original post by fate01
I'm hoping to do 3 A-Levels alongside an AS and aren't sure of what to really buy. I've followed some recommendations such as buying folders for each A-Level and a notebook. Would I need anything else? The A-Levels I've picked are English Lit, History, and Maths and my AS is Further Maths.

Have you got a folder you can take current work in? Many students just take the current topic papers in and then transfer it to the subject folder at the end of the topic.
Original post by fate01
Is it supposed to be a step-up from the scientific calculator I normally used during GCSEs?

Yes, your school will tell you which one you need but it should be the Casio fx-991EX
Reply 9
Original post by Muttley79
Have you got a folder you can take current work in? Many students just take the current topic papers in and then transfer it to the subject folder at the end of the topic.

That's a good shout thank you I hadn't thought about that before and yes I did buy a spare folder in case anything like this happens. Thank you :smile:
Original post by fate01
That's a good shout thank you I hadn't thought about that before and yes I did buy a spare folder in case anything like this happens. Thank you :smile:

You don't want to be carrying three folders when one will do!

Quick Reply

Latest