The Student Room Group

Edexcel 6BIO2 ~ 3rd June 2013 ~ AS Biology

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1280
Original post by viyas07
what causes founder effect? what is founder effect, what causes genetic drift? what causes it? any possible ways of reducing them?
what causes inbreeding depression?
and why is it bad? how can we reduce inbreeding depression apart from selective mating, studbooks?
do we need to know these things?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The founder effect is when a small group of people from a larger population establish a colony of their own; as a result the genetic variety is drastically reduced as the gene pool is smaller.
Genetic drift is any change in the frequency of an allele; so the founder effect and bottlenecking may cause genetic drift, (bottle necking is when natural disasters- storm, earthquake, tsunami etc drastically reduce population size and thus decrease genetic variety)
These two cause genetic drift as the change in the gene pool and reduction in genetic variety will ofc change and reduce the frequencies of certain alleles in the gene pool

Inbreeding depression is the reduced fitness of a population due to inbreeding, this is bad because inbreeding will reduce genetic variety of a population thus if there is a selective pressure change, they are less likely to possess an allele that may serve a selective advantage- so less likely to survive, risk of extinction etc etc.
Other than the preventative methods you've mentioned, I'm not sure we need to know any other methods- tjhose are usually the ones on the mark sheme.
:smile:
antimicrobial properties practical: 4 times; June 09, June 2011, Jan 2012, Jan 2013

tensile strength of fibres: Twice; Jan 2011, June 2012

plant mineral deficiencies: Twice; Jan 09, Jan 2013

mitosis root tip squash: Once; June 2010

plant tissue culture: Once; Jan 2010

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by kevsamuel
antimicrobial properties practical: 4 times; June 09, June 2011, Jan 2012, Jan 2013

plant mineral deficiencies: Once; Jan 09

Thank you :biggrin:
Mineral deficiencies came up in January 2013.
Reply 1284
Original post by maryam1996
hi, just to let you know there is an updated version of this revision note on page 4 of this thread.

thank you!!!
Reply 1285
Original post by daniya12
The founder effect is when a small group of people from a larger population establish a colony of their own; as a result the genetic variety is drastically reduced as the gene pool is smaller.
Genetic drift is any change in the frequency of an allele; so the founder effect and bottlenecking may cause genetic drift, (bottle necking is when natural disasters- storm, earthquake, tsunami etc drastically reduce population size and thus decrease genetic variety)
These two cause genetic drift as the change in the gene pool and reduction in genetic variety will ofc change and reduce the frequencies of certain alleles in the gene pool

Inbreeding depression is the reduced fitness of a population due to inbreeding, this is bad because inbreeding will reduce genetic variety of a population thus if there is a selective pressure change, they are less likely to possess an allele that may serve a selective advantage- so less likely to survive, risk of extinction etc etc.
Other than the preventative methods you've mentioned, I'm not sure we need to know any other methods- tjhose are usually the ones on the mark sheme.
:smile:

thank u sooo muchhh, really helpful

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rubyturner94
its going ok, and you? today im going to go over all papers from jan 2010 and go over my notes.
i have chemistry and statistics 2 left, what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah - it's ok as well . I'm going to do the same : re-read all my notes and make sure everything's fully understood and then going to have a look through the papers again . I've also got AQA Chemistry Unit 2 on Tuesday .

What exam board are you for Chemistry ? How's your Chemistry revision going ?
Original post by kevsamuel

plant mineral deficiencies: Once; Jan 09

Thanks for this :cool: ... What's your prediction ??
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Daniel Atieh
Tha Realest Hey!
so what core practical u r expecting? tensile one also?

I predict ~ tensile strength of fibres .
Original post by Tha Realest
Thanks for this :cool: ... What's your prediction ?

No problem. I edited it as The Assasin said that Mineral deficiencies came up in January 2013.

I hazard a guess to be honest because the antimicrobrial properties has came up 4 times! It does make it the least likely to come up though.
I'd say plant tissue culture is the most likely, then either
mitosis root tip squash or tensile strength of fibres

Reply 1290
Original post by daniya12
Anatomical is more about physical features. Physiological is more on the way the body works. So, anatomy deals with the structure of an organism, so skeleton, organ system, tissue structure, and even cell structure, whereas physiology looks at function, so how these organs work, how cell metabolism works, how enzymes work.
Does this help? :smile:

thank you very much!!
What topics do you think will come up?
Reply 1292
I need around 110 ums in this paper, how many marks would i need to get roughly?
Original post by Whostolemycookie
If the totipotency is the practical with the agar, I doubt it will come up because in came up in the January 2013 exam : /

P.S. Do we need to know water uptake in detail?

Yep mostly about the pathways (apoplast and symplast) and transpiration :smile: You also need to learn about the environmental factors that affect the rate of transpiration (i.e. light intensity, temperature, humidity etc...), how water enters the xylem vessels and root pressure :smile: that's pretty much it!
Original post by benyp7
I need around 110 ums in this paper, how many marks would i need to get roughly?

Around 66/67 :smile: I need 112 ums, best of luck! :biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by justanotherindigo
Yep mostly about the pathways (apoplast and symplast) and transpiration :smile: You also need to learn about the environmental factors that affect the rate of transpiration (i.e. light intensity, temperature, humidity etc...), how water enters the xylem vessels and root pressure :smile: that's pretty much it!

No you don't - Even transpiration is not on the spec.
Original post by billyfisher100
No you don't - Even transpiration is not on the spec.

Are you sure? The spec does say "Explain the importance of water and inorganic ions" doesn't this refer to transpiration and uptake of water?
Could someone write a step by step method for the mineral deficiency experiment and the totipotency experiment please? I'm still struggling to remember :P
needd 60/120 ums to get an A, 90/120 ums to get 90% (A* prediction) i havent dropped a mark so far.........
Original post by Whostolemycookie
Question: What is a benefit of using pluripotent stem cells rather then totipotent for the treatment of type 1 diabetes?

It's easier to obtain pluripotent cells than totipotent cells as there are more of pluripotent cells available.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending