The Student Room Group

Edexcel 6BIO2 ~ 3rd June 2013 ~ AS Biology

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1300
Original post by justanotherindigo
Are you sure? The spec does say "Explain the importance of water and inorganic ions" doesn't this refer to transpiration and uptake of water?

Nitrate calcium magnesium and water ions and their important to plants

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tha Realest
Yeah - it's ok as well . I'm going to do the same : re-read all my notes and make sure everything's fully understood and then going to have a look through the papers again . I've also got AQA Chemistry Unit 2 on Tuesday .

What exam board are you for Chemistry ? How's your Chemistry revision going ?

OCR b salters, this week i have been focused on biology because i was so behind, i havent done any chemistry revisiin, i started revising early for it. just need to go over it tomorrow :smile: chemistry is heaven compared to biology :/
how your chemistry going?
Original post by diggy
Nitrate calcium magnesium and water ions and their important to plants

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh okay, thanks for the clarification! :biggrin:
Are you sure? The spec does say "Explain the importance of water and inorganic ions" doesn't this refer to transpiration and uptake of water?

Yes, but that could just be, for ions (e.g: calcium) to form calcium pectate to hold micro fibrils together. For water, you could just say for photosynthesis, solvent because of its polarity, hydrolysis reactions, etc. if they wanted you to know the actual process of transpiration, they would state it clearly.
Original post by maryam1996
It's easier to obtain pluripotent cells than totipotent cells as there are more of pluripotent cells available.

Yep mostly about the pathways (apoplast and symplast) and transpiration :smile: You also need to learn about the environmental factors that affect the rate of transpiration (i.e. light intensity, temperature, humidity etc...), how water enters the xylem vessels and root pressure :smile: that's pretty much it!

Reply 1305
Around 66/67 :smile: I need 112 ums, best of luck! :biggrin::biggrin:

Okay, that's do-able! Been getting around 68-70 in past papers, best of luck to you too!
Yep mostly about the pathways (apoplast and symplast) and transpiration :smile: You also need to learn about the environmental factors that affect the rate of transpiration (i.e. light intensity, temperature, humidity etc...), how water enters the xylem vessels and root pressure :smile: that's pretty much it!

im sure we dont need to know about this, its not it the spec.
Could someone explain how with the totipotency practical, with tissue samples what I should use to cover the agar?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Branny101
Could someone explain how with the totipotency practical, with tissue samples what I should use to cover the agar?

Posted from TSR Mobile

foil, cling film. cling film.more appropiate to let light in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
what is meant by suitably prepared petri dish?
Original post by Rubyturner94
foil, cling film. cling film.more appropiate to let light in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool, and is it always ex plants?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kimmykim1
what is meant by suitably prepared petri dish?

petridish, with agar and a bacterial lawn spread over agar using a sterile pippete.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cool, and is it always ex plants?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yep :smile: always say explant, because thats what was put in the mark scheme.

Posted from TSR Mobile
yep :smile: always say explant, because thats what was put in the mark scheme.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not like, say they talk about plant tissue samples.... Still explant?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not like, say they talk about plant tissue samples.... Still explant?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yh say explant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
in paper june 2009 Ques 5 ii whats the role of digestive enzymes in the growth of pollen tubes? i dont get the mark scheme :s
yh say explant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks,

Oh and could someone explain the stages of drug trials?
I.e. phase 1,2...
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
when do the spindle fibres attach onto the centromeres of chromosomes? During Prophase or Metaphase?
Original post by kevsamuel
when do the spindle fibres attach onto the centromeres of chromosomes? During Prophase or Metaphase?

Metaphase, also the spindle fibres pull the centromeres in anaphase so that the chromatids are pulled at opposite ends.
Hope that helps :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by kevsamuel

Prophase:-
chromosomes are visible X shaped
centrioles move to both poles of the cell
nucluer envelope disappears
spindle forms

Metaphase:-
chromosomes line up at cell equator
chromosomes attach to spindle fibres
fibres attch at centromere

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending