The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by D4rth
They're just the halogenation of benzene ones, the electrophilic substitutions.

Btw you laughing at the pacemaker flying out made me laugh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Revision does this to me. You're a fellow dental applicant aren't you? :biggrin:

I managed to call exam conditions 'standard conditions' last week, and lectured my mum on the harms of too much fat while she was cooking until she eventually kicked me out the kitchen. :redface:
Original post by thers
LOL - I can just imagine it aswell, what a horrible way to die :frown:

I know. I wonder if anyone ever died like that? :confused:
Hi all, can anyone please explain to me whether there is a quick easy way to deduce the molecular formula? Or is it by pure guessing? Also are there any good videos or resources explaining nmr? Thanks
Reply 2303
Original post by NilabKebab
Hello, I don't quite understand question 4c in Jan 2012 paper, for the ester the structure was C(CH3)3CH2COOCH2CH3 (check mark scheme) but I got C(CH3)3COOCH2CH2CH3 (Ive attached the molecule I got).

Why is my structure wrong?

hehe.png
Attachment not found
Attachment not found

It's wrong because the NMR spectrum tells us that there must be 2 protons attached to the bold C: C-C=O that causes a singlet split (the peak around 2.2)
In your structure, you have the (CH3)3C- attached to the C=O, which does not have two hydrogens attached to the bold C in: C-C=O
Reply 2304
Panic has set in :frown:
So much so, that I've forgotton if we were strongly encouraged or discouraged from highlighting stuff in the questions.
So basically... can we use highlighters? Hahaha.
nmr jan 2013??? Can somebody explain plz???
Reply 2306
Original post by _HabibaH_

do you know about the M+1? in mass spectrium
Original post by hussaincute
nmr jan 2013??? Can somebody explain plz???

I got that partly wrong so I won't attempt to confuse us both. Sorry.
Reply 2308
Original post by _HabibaH_

Probably not - I'd imagine all people using MRI would be scanned first to detect for any metal in their body and also check medical history etc.
guys i have been ill since yesterday so couldn't revise much as i wud have.... Can somebody tell me what should i do now???? :frown:
Reply 2310
Original post by Sly1
What UMS is needed for A,B,C at AS>? Thanks

A-240
B-210
C-180

Same for A2
guys i have been ill since yesterday so couldn't revise much as i wud have.... Can somebody tell me what should i do now???? :frown:

Revise....
jan 2013 paper and MS please?
Reply 2313
Original post by Tendael
But when we talk about relative solubity, don't we always talk about it relative to the stationary phase, but you just said it was less soluble in the mobile phase.

Sorry, might have made a mistake. Basically if it doesn't dissolve easily it will pass from the column outlet to the detector quicker.
what should i revise ? :s
Reply 2315

PRAY
Reply 2316
Original post by LegendX
Revise....

Hi :smile:

you know the ratios in NMR spectrium how do we get those
Reply 2317

Go and learn the standard answers from the spec. E.g. comparing kekule and delocalised model etc
Original post by otrivine
do you know about the M+1? in mass spectrium

Gosh, here's me worrying about dead people and you just care about your M+1 peak! :redface:

I don't think we need to know it on our spec but my teacher once explained to me cuz I bugged her about it. and apparently they don't do it on the A level papers anymore cuz it confuses students.

Basically...the peak on the right to the Mr peak is called the M+1 peak (isn't normally showed on our papers). It's because for every 100 or so C-12 isotopes, 1 C-13 isotope is present so this peak represents the presence of that isotope.
Reply 2319
Guys,

Any last minute advice???
I'm finding it difficult to revise, i have no idea what to do. This is a retake for me :frown: I'm really hoping for a high A maybe A* but i doubt i'll get that.

I don't feel motivated at all!

Latest

Trending

Trending