The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by master y
Hi, i was wondering if you have done the evaluative on electrode potentials? This is my last chance to do well in the practicals, and my highest mark is 10/15! :frown: Please help anyone to give me tips

I'm not sure if I have but if you know it's on electrode potentials then you should just learn everything you know about them and then apply it to the questions that come up, but we're not allowed to talk about or say anything about the practicals as its against the rules really.

Just stay calm during the assessment and read everything through carefully before beginning to answer the questions, you should be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 901
Original post by reneetaylor
When you're on buddy, quote me and give me a question please! I had to go and churn some butter, so I was idle earlier.

Sure

Define retention time (2)
Original post by otrivine
Sure

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MathsNerd1
I'm not sure if I have but if you know it's on electrode potentials then you should just learn everything you know about them and then apply it to the questions that come up, but we're not allowed to talk about or say anything about the practicals as its against the rules really.

Just stay calm during the assessment and read everything through carefully before beginning to answer the questions, you should be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know what the grade boundaries overall are for an A ish? Apprently, last year the grade boundaires where 36 for an A!!!
Do you know what the grade boundaries overall are for an A ish? Apprently, last year the grade boundaires where 36 for an A!!!

I've just went on the assumption that they'll be similar to last years hopefully, I think I've got 37 so I should be safe, I hope!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sure

I'm not sure! I really don't want to look in the book...so I'm gonna guess.

Is it the time it takes for the sample to be detected?
Reply 906

The time it takes to go from the column inlet to the detector, me thinks.
I've just went on the assumption that they'll be similar to last years hopefully, I think I've got 37 so I should be safe, I hope!

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh no, im on a C, and i need an A overall to get into medicine!!!
Reply 908

close, its the time taken for the sample/substance/compound to move from the coloumn inlet to detector

my tuen
Reply 909

Hi want to revise
Reply 910

Ooh, a fellow potential medic! Where are you hoping to go? I wouldn't worry too much about coursework, obviously boost it as much as possible, but the exams are the main things, you don't have to do really well at coursework to do well overall :smile:
Reply 911
Original post by Zaphod77

good and mention, its gas chromatography

my turn
Ooh, a fellow potential medic! Where are you hoping to go? I wouldn't worry too much about coursework, obviously boost it as much as possible, but the exams are the main things, you don't have to do really well at coursework to do well overall :smile:

oh i've sent you a message :smile:

I've only got a C so far as well and I need an A to get into Warwick to study Maths!

Lets just work hard and hope it all pays off in the end! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 914

nearly!!

you have to state coloumn inlet !

my turn bud
nearly!!

you have to state coloumn inlet !

my turn bud

Okay, maybe next time.

Explain the process of Gas Chromatography (4)

Ok! Thanks! :smile:

close, its the time taken for the sample/substance/compound to move from the coloumn inlet to detector

my tuen

Thanks otrivine, so this is only with GC then right?

How many carbon environments are in prop,1,2,3,triol?
And which proton NMR splitting peaks present?

Sorry if this is worded a bit...blah.
Reply 917
Okay, maybe next time.

Explain the process of Gas Chromatography (4)

Gas Chromastography, in stationary phase, you use a solid or liquid with an inert support and for mobile phase you use a carrier gas.

The retention time is the time taken for a component in GC to move from column intert to detector.

So the carrier gas , in liquid phase travel to the capillary action and then to the detector in which the componenent is detected. GC is the process also which separates a component from its mixture, and this is done via the stationary phase in which the material is adsorbed onto its surface and greater interaction between component and stationary phase the speed becomes less and separates mixture
Reply 918
Ok! Thanks! :smile:

Thanks otrivine, so this is only with GC then right?

How many carbon environments are in prop,1,2,3,triol?
And which proton NMR splitting peaks present?

Sorry if this is worded a bit...blah.

yes :smile:

1) 2 carbon environments

2) in the proton NMR you would expect a quartet (3 adjacnet hydrogen atoms) and triplet( 2 adjacent hydrogen atoms)
Gas Chromastography, in stationary phase, you use a solid or liquid with an inert support and for mobile phase you use a carrier gas.

The retention time is the time taken for a component in GC to move from column intert to detector.

So the carrier gas , in liquid phase travel to the capillary action and then to the detector in which the componenent is detected. GC is the process also which separates a component from its mixture, and this is done via the stationary phase in which the material is adsorbed onto its surface and greater interaction between component and stationary phase the speed becomes less and separates mixture

Correct

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending