The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by D4rth
How's everyone been doing in past papers. I've fallen into the trap again of just rushing through and not doing them properly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm on the other end of the spectrum, i end up spending too much time on them so right now i'm just working on getting my time down :tongue:
Reply 1281
Original post by Lilmzbest
I'm on the other end of the spectrum, i end up spending too much time on them so right now i'm just working on getting my time down :tongue:

Haha, I'll finish in about 30-40 mins and not check my answers, I did the same with f321 last Jan which I guess is why I did bad.

How are you finding the papers. I've only done the early ones yet but they seem ok

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by D4rth
Haha, I'll finish in about 30-40 mins and not check my answers, I did the same with f321 last Jan which I guess is why I did bad.

How are you finding the papers. I've only done the early ones yet but they seem ok

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've done up to jan 12 but my time's still around an hour and half so need to work on writing more concisely :tongue:

I'm not finding them too bad, it's just the little niggly things that make me lose marks :tongue:
Reply 1283
Can someone please explain chiral pool synthesis in producing pharmacueticals? :frown:
Reply 1284
Has anyone got the jan 2013 paper? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1285
Original post by Gulzar
Can someone please explain chiral pool synthesis in producing pharmacueticals? :frown:

You don't need to know how any of those processes work. In a past paper they stated its a difficult concept and you should just be able to name different ways.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1286
Original post by emah123
i got 48/60 which shouldve been an A but the grade boundaries were higher for an A for that paper so got 68 UMS :frown: what about you?

do you think i'll be ok?

Hahaha join the club but 49!

Let's do this I can't remember who it was but someone said something in this thread that really motivated me, about doing Chem 4.

How is everyone going with revision?

I decided to start doing a bunch of questions without looking at my notes and I realised Chem 4 has NOTHING to do with learning stuff. How dumb was I before. Don't get me wrong, I still have loads of papers to do but it seems like Chem 4 is much more like Maths, you literally just have to stop and think every second. I didn't refer to my Textbook but I was just trying to work through it logically, thinking, what do I "kind of" rememebr, and for some reason it was just much easier than it was when I was doing questions before.

Does anyone who got an A or higher in January have any tips?

Or anyone who finds Chem 4 easier now, any advice would be great!
When learning about polymers it gives examples (e.g. terylene and kevlar) do we need to know the monomers which make these up? Or will they just give us a couple of monomers and ask us to draw the polymer?
Original post by sjwilsonn
When learning about polymers it gives examples (e.g. terylene and kevlar) do we need to know the monomers which make these up? Or will they just give us a couple of monomers and ask us to draw the polymer?

no we don't need to learn these :smile:
Reply 1289
Original post by TheUsername42
I'm not sure if they still do, but when I did the OCR chem a-level the official OCR textbook had a code that let you access chemistry content online which often included a tonne of questions that are also used by the examiners to design the question paper...
Another useful resource is www.thestudentsolutions.co.uk where you can ask a chemistry university student a question directly. Good luck!

More questions online. Very very interesting.

If anyone knows anything about this please do tell!
Reply 1290
What sort of revision are people doing during these last two weeks?
Reply 1291
Original post by MasterYi
What sort of revision are people doing during these last two weeks?

Just finished making notes of all the topics today, so its just questions and past papers from now on.

What about you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1292
Original post by D4rth
Just finished making notes of all the topics today, so its just questions and past papers from now on.

What about you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great :smile: Do you find it easier learning/revising by writing or reading or using flashcards etc. ?

I think I've started revising too early, I did my notes too early and now I have to rewrite them to refresh my memory.
I can't learn just by reading which means I have to keep rewriting my notes to learn and do lots of questions. I've also done pretty all the resources. :frown:

Luckily I found some more questions on the internet just now.
Heres a link to my collection of F324 resources. The news ones are in the F324 topic Based questions and Rwebster. I think its better if you download as zip.

https://mega.co.nz/#F!VRNSXQIS!X7ocggad45hcTZ18TYJzYA
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1293
Great :smile: Do you find it easier learning/revising by writing or reading or using flashcards etc. ?

I think I've started revising too early, I did my notes too early and now I have to rewrite them to refresh my memory.
I can't learn just by reading which means I have to keep rewriting my notes to learn and do lots of questions. I've also done pretty all the resources. :frown:

Heres a link to my collection of F324 resources. The news ones are in the F324 topic Based questions and Rwebster. I think its better if you download as zip.

Yea, I thought I started my note making late but I think it was good timing, its fresh in my mind. I've never really used flash cards, I find just reading over notes a few times is fine (not for crappy biology though). I know pretty much all the reactions, f324 for me has been the easiest unit.

Well you seem to have done a lot of work which means there's no last minute rush, just make sure you don't forget anything, one thing which I find extremely useful is going over the past papers and reading the correct response, this makes sure you get an exam answer remembered rather than something you learnt from the book which is a bit wishy-washy. Reading over the examiner reports also greatly helps as you can see where people struggled and made mistakes so you don't make them.

Thanks for that, I'll maybe use those resources if I ever run out of mine.

What grade are you aiming for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1294

Master Yi, what type of grades are you scoring for the Chem 4 Papers? I'm trying to get an A/A*.

I've done all the Chem 5 Papers and have averaged around 80/100, and am re-doing them. Did one today and got 86/100.

Re-doing Chem 4 to try to get above 55/60.

Please would you be able to give me any recommendations or any advice on when I should finish

1. The Topic Sheets you put up (I printed ALL of the questions out)
2. The Past Papers?

Any help from anyone else would be appreciated. I've got 3 Exams on Wednesday/Thursday next week, so I'm not sure when I should get all the Chem 4 Papers done.
Reply 1295
Original post by D4rth
Yea, I thought I started my note making late but I think it was good timing, its fresh in my mind. I've never really used flash cards, I find just reading over notes a few times is fine (not for crappy biology though). I know pretty much all the reactions, f324 for me has been the easiest unit.

Well you seem to have done a lot of work which means there's no last minute rush, just make sure you don't forget anything, one thing which I find extremely useful is going over the past papers and reading the correct response, this makes sure you get an exam answer remembered rather than something you learnt from the book which is a bit wishy-washy. Reading over the examiner reports also greatly helps as you can see where people struggled and made mistakes so you don't make them.

Thanks for that, I'll maybe use those resources if I ever run out of mine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reading does no good for me in the long run, so I have to be constantly writing to keep it fresh in my head.

I think the reason I started revision for F324 so early was because the unit was so small and straight foward so finished it pretty early.
I like to read the reports too, very informative and can be kinda funny sometimes.
Reply 1296
Original post by D4rth

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unlike most of you here, my grades a low mostly because I messed up in As and didn't choose to resit(which is good and bad). So no matter how well I do in this paper I'm only going to get a B in Chem, which is good because the Uni wants that; but this doesn't stop me fom wanting to get A in just this paper.
What about you? Are you going to uni after August or doing more Alevels.

Original post by Better
Master Yi, what type of grades are you scoring for the Chem 4 Papers? I'm trying to get an A/A*.

I've done all the Chem 5 Papers and have averaged around 80/100, and am re-doing them. Did one today and got 86/100.

Re-doing Chem 4 to try to get above 55/60.

Please would you be able to give me any recommendations or any advice on when I should finish

2. The Past Papers?

Any help from anyone else would be appreciated. I've got 3 Exams on Wednesday/Thursday next week, so I'm not sure when I should get all the Chem 4 Papers done.

We did three mocks in school for F324.
- Jan 12 - b
- June 12 - a
- Jan 13 - a (57/60) Teacher said this paper was straight foward and evrything was "straight out of our notes".

So I'm guessing you're doing F325 for the 1st time and resiting F324.

What do you mean by:

2. The Past Papers?

I'm guessing you have Chem F325 on Wed and Phisics G485 on Thursday. They given people even more time now for those papers. Do you do your papers by the new 2hour time or the old 1hour 45?
(edited 10 years ago)
does anyone have any easy tips to do question 6 b) from the jan 2011 paper? Thanks :smile:
Reply 1298
Unlike most of you here, my grades a low mostly because I messed up in As and didn't choose to resit(which is good and bad). So no matter how well I do in this paper I'm only going to get a B in Chem, which is good because the Uni wants that; but this doesn't stop me fom wanting to get A in just this paper.

We did three mocks in school for F324.
- Jan 12 - b
- June 12 - a
- Jan 13 - a (57/60) Teacher said this paper was straight foward and evrything was "straight out of our notes".

So I'm guessing you're doing F325 for the 1st time and resiting F324.

What do you mean by:

2. The Past Papers?

I'm guessing you have Chem F325 on Wed and Phisics G485 on Thursday. They given people even more time now for those papers. Do you do your papers by the new 2hour time or the old 1hour 45?

Yup it goes Weds Chem 5 OCR, Thurs: C3 Phys 5
Week 2: Tues C4, Weds CHEM 4, and Thurs: Phys 4

Yes Unit 5 is my first time round and Chem 4 is 2nd time.

I've printed out all of those sheets you put up so I'm wondering when you think I should get the Papers that you uploaded (the topic questions) and then all the papers done?
Reply 1299

Oh right well that sucks, at least you can get what you need.

Yep going to uni to do dentistry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending