The Student Room Group

AQA GCE Geography Unit 3- 7th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by V95
i'm revising Plate Tectonics at 3:36 in the morning - gotta love the life associated with A2 geography :dance:

I admire you dedication - I can never revise that late/early whatever you want to call it :wink: but yeah - I find nothing sinks in with late night revision
Reply 61
How are people tackling on doing the exam, my teacher says do the essay first then go back and do Section A & B
Original post by MrAlex95
How are people tackling on doing the exam, my teacher says do the essay first then go back and do Section A & B

I'm doing the same.
Reply 63
Original post by Ellie_May :)
I'm doing the same.

Yeah makes sense, what topics are you doing? At the end of the last term our teacher showed us the essay questions for this Unit in January and most of them were easy , hoping we dont get any tricky ones this summer !!
:biggrin:
Yeah makes sense, what topics are you doing? At the end of the last term our teacher showed us the essay questions for this Unit in January and most of them were easy , hoping we dont get any tricky ones this summer !!
:biggrin:

I've studied 4 in class but am choosing 3, so it's plate tectonics, weather and climate and then a choice of either world cities or globalisation - haven't decided on the human topic yet but will probs be world cities.

Haha yeah same! I'm glad we get a wide choice of questions. I will be answering either a plate tectonics or weather and climate one as i'm a physical geographer :smile:
Reply 65
I was looking at the specification earlier and noticed under what we had to learn for world cities, it doesn't state that we have to know case studies for gentrification, property led regeneration or partnership schemes but in the revision guide there's case studies for them? :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
Does anyone have any tips on essay writing. I do physics and maths so am not really used to writing long answers and a 40 mark question just sounds really daunting. I just need a way of making what I want to say go further. Also how many words/pages do your essays come to and how many marks do they get?
Original post by KaiserFuel
Does anyone have any tips on essay writing. I do physics and maths so am not really used to writing long answers and a 40 mark question just sounds really daunting. I just need a way of making what I want to say go further. Also how many words/pages do your essays come to and how many marks do they get?

I recommend writing 1200 words for this essay question. depending on how big your writing is three or four sides?

when you find the question you want to do, bullet point the points you will make - each bullet point will be a paragraph! if it's a discuss question, I recommend three points for and three against. this keeps you argument balanced.

1) introduction - define any key terms and outline your argument - and case studies (optional)

2) your main body - point
evidence (case studies)
analysis (what does this show, including facts)
link back to the question

3) repeat the latter for each point you are going to make

4) conclusion, basically evaluate all the points you have made, giving a clear judgment on what you have discussed - keep it clear and precise, and don't just reiterate.

hope this helps, this is what I am doing :h:
Reply 68
Original post by Daniel George
I admire you dedication - I can never revise that late/early whatever you want to call it :wink: but yeah - I find nothing sinks in with late night revision

i find that everything sinks in at night for me - there are no distractions because everyone's asleep - so i prefer it :colondollar:

My teacher is quite keen that we do one of the early questions first, then the essay second and then the other question. This gives you time to get into the right frame of mind and you shouldn't be too worried about timing etc, but I guess everyone has their own way :smile:
Reply 70
Hey finally found this thread! :smile:
I'm doing Ecosystems and G+D 'short' answer and plate tectonics essay.

Do you think its wise to choose what essay you're doing before the exam? we get taught conflicts as well but I feel its too late to rely on it since there are only 8 weeks left! :s-smilie: and with the PT 40 markers I have no idea what to expect since I kind of feel they've exhausted the topics (I know they can reword and choose either volcanoes or earthquakes and switch physical to human factors etc) I don't want to find out what January's question is yet because I suspect it's our mock. What do other people think what other topics other than:
PT Theory
MEDC V LEDC feel worse impact
Planning and prep mitigate impact
human factors cause impact
theory shows distribution
:confused:

What do you think is the best order time wise in the exam because I'm so scared of being pushed for time.
Reply 71
Original post by summer_dreamer
My teacher is quite keen that we do one of the early questions first, then the essay second and then the other question. This gives you time to get into the right frame of mind and you shouldn't be too worried about timing etc, but I guess everyone has their own way :smile:

Yeah fair enough do whats best for you :smile:, yeah this exam shouldnt be to bad for time as you might find some of the early questions easier then expected and do them quickly giving you plent of time.
Reply 72
Original post by fredrik
Hey finally found this thread! :smile:
I'm doing Ecosystems and G+D 'short' answer and plate tectonics essay.

Do you think its wise to choose what essay you're doing before the exam? we get taught conflicts as well but I feel its too late to rely on it since there are only 8 weeks left! :s-smilie: and with the PT 40 markers I have no idea what to expect since I kind of feel they've exhausted the topics (I know they can reword and choose either volcanoes or earthquakes and switch physical to human factors etc) I don't want to find out what January's question is yet because I suspect it's our mock. What do other people think what other topics other than:
PT Theory
MEDC V LEDC feel worse impact
Planning and prep mitigate impact
human factors cause impact
theory shows distribution
:confused:

What do you think is the best order time wise in the exam because I'm so scared of being pushed for time.

Tsunami's hasn't come up before so that could appear, also we have been told to do the Essay first as it has the most marks and probs the difference between the grades regarding marks.
Im thinking of doing my essay question for the exam on Plate tectonics too but havent decided. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
I don't like unit 3, but tips I've found when teaching it, and knowing several people involved in it, is link the topic you are doing within the topic, and link it with other parts of geography, as you can use other parts of geography to back it up as long as you can show a valid link. Also link to modern and developing areas of geography, GIS is the main one, can link to most things, and also applied geography, however wouldn't expect a normal a level student to know about applied geography.
Reply 74
Do we need to do know a tsunami case study for plate tectonics? according to the spec we don't need to?
Original post by Gary
Do we need to do know a tsunami case study for plate tectonics? according to the spec we don't need to?

is tsunami related to plate tectonics ... yes, but don't do boxing day one. soooo common.
Reply 76
Original post by clareramos
is tsunami related to plate tectonics ... yes, but don't do boxing day one. soooo common.

They don't have one in the revision guide so we don't need one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gary
They don't have one in the revision guide so we don't need one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

no, I would make sure I have Tsunami as a case study.
Reply 78
have people revised loads for this exam already... i haven't even started geography revision yet and need an A for my medicine offer... guys do you think i will be able to do it? i got 181/200 ums for AS byt am really really worried about this exam :frown:
Original post by emah123
have people revised loads for this exam already... i haven't even started geography revision yet and need an A for my medicine offer... guys do you think i will be able to do it? i got 181/200 ums for AS byt am really really worried about this exam :frown:

an A should be very doable with that AS, just revise and use tricks to remember things, such as 7 key things.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending