The Student Room Group

OCR AS Psychology: G542: Core Studies - Wednesday 5th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by amieelliott
I'm doing A-level psychology in a year (doing all the As and A2 exams in the same year hahah I wouldn't recommend it)
At my sixth form we do just over 72 studies for A2 but it's like flipping As on its head. In As you have to remember everything about the studies and use a bit of your own knowledge to back it up whereas in A2 it's like 80% your own knowledge and then you just need to know bits of the studies to put in your answer. :tongue:
Hope that makes sense, I wouldn't panic about A2 hahah

Thank you! And yes it does make sense! Lool I'm just gonna be more organising for next year on psychology and possibly even look at what sort of studies and stuff and what they expect for next year on the last week of the summer holidays I know I am soooo sad but like anyway in case I might need to resit any of this because all the examz will be on june next year so extra stressful! :frown::frown:
Original post by Dr.InshaAllah
Does anybody know how I could answer......
How can the individual differences approach describe mpd?

I'm really struggling :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The individual differences approach focusses on abnormality and personality differences such as in Thigpen and Cleckleys study on a woman called Eve who had multiple personality disorder. the results showed that one of her personalities Eve White had a higher IQ (110) than another of her personalities Eve Black (104). EW was also shy and demure, whereas EB was outspoken and flirtacious. therefore the researchers could conclude that this woman had mpd as she could switch between completely different personalities
Original post by gabbyearl
This is all there is to say about the sample: the split brain subjects were 11 patients who had already had a commisurotomy (splitting of the corpus callosum) before the study. Therefore opportunistic. all subjects had a history of severe epilepsy which had not responded to drug therapy. 2 of the patients had been operated on a while before the experiment but the other 9 had only recently undergone the surgery

Woooow thank you!!! I haven't really got that information hahahaha cooolll! :biggrin:
The individual differences approach focusses on abnormality and personality differences such as in Thigpen and Cleckleys study on a woman called Eve who had multiple personality disorder. the results showed that one of her personalities Eve White had a higher IQ (110) than another of her personalities Eve Black (104). EW was also shy and demure, whereas EB was outspoken and flirtacious. therefore the researchers could conclude that this woman had mpd as she could switch between completely different personalities

Whoops I meant explain not describe but.thank u that helps me start it off.....
Any tips on how to convert it into an answer for how can it explain mpd??

Thank you so much once again :getmecoat:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1084
Original post by Billie Jean
Woooow I'm just wondering what studies do you know?! And yes if your teacher can't tell you those then that is one useless teacher! Good luck anyway :redface:

I only know Milgram for section B so I'm going to cry

Posted from TSR Mobile
What the purpose of the Strange stories task and the importance of the Sally Anne test
Reply 1086
Someone please help, what types of quantatative and qualitative data are found out in riech + haslam? Also are psychometric tests quantatative?!?! PLease help!!!
Original post by Dr.InshaAllah
Whoops I meant explain not describe but.thank u that helps me start it off.....
Any tips on how to convert it into an answer for how can it explain mpd??

Thank you so much once again :getmecoat:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I answered it for 'explain' :smile: because its unlikely that they'll ask for describe. (PS I checked the mark scheme and its right:tongue:)
I answered it for 'explain' :smile: because its unlikely that they'll ask for describe. (PS I checked the mark scheme and its right:tongue:)

Thank you! Ur a life saverrrr!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys I'm only doing L+P, Maguire and Baron Cohen for Section B and Behaviourist and Physiological for Section C. Is it too risky or is everyone else doing that as well? I can't remember everything, so I'm trying to cut things down majorly!
Original post by Simran Mars Foster
What the purpose of the Strange stories task and the importance of the Sally Anne test

The Sally-Anne test is just the background, you don't need to know mmuch about that. Strange Stories was used to support the results of the Eyes Task and to validate it :colondollar:

the strange stories task was made to establish the validity of the Eyes Task as a test of theory of mind as it was an 'advanced' test. the eyes task was made to test whether very high-functioning adults who passed the strange stories task with autism have problems with theory of mind. (and I don't think you'll have to know about the sally anne test).
Original post by Dank108
Someone please help, what types of quantatative and qualitative data are found out in riech + haslam? Also are psychometric tests quantatative?!?! PLease help!!!

Um they were all qualitative as far as I know...go to Holah.com it's useful :smile:
Reply 1093
Original post by Skyscraper15
Hey guys I'm only doing L+P, Maguire and Baron Cohen for Section B and Behaviourist and Physiological for Section C. Is it too risky or is everyone else doing that as well? I can't remember everything, so I'm trying to cut things down majorly!

That's exactly what I'm doing, way too much to remember if not :frown:
I hope Validity will be the issue that comes up. You can write tons for Baron and Cohen and validity.

like what? i can think of the control tasks and how they controlled for face perception and recognition of emotion (also gender task controls for demand characteristics)..
the strange stories task indicated concurrent validity
umm..and the comparison groups in the sample, how can you relate that to validity?

strange stories task was used to check the validity of the eyes task, the sally anne test was important as the results from it showed that adults with autism could pass the test with no problem, suggesting that they had an intact theory of mind. however this was not valid as the test was designed for 6 year olds with autism so was too easy for adults with autism. this created a ceiling effect for the adults. therefore, the autistic adults may not really have an intact theory of mind, hence why Baron Cohen developed 'the eyes task'
(edited 10 years ago)
that's really risky because you'll need knowledge from all the studies for section a. I can give you pointers for any of the studies if you want?

Aw thank you, that'll be great, I've done general stuff for Section A but nothing in detail :s-smilie: can you give me some pointers please? :colondollar:
^ Thank you. Someone posted the controlls of the study in the thread not so long ago. I can't find it! It's useful when evaluating validity.
Original post by jodie.irwin27
like what? i can think of the control tasks and how they controlled for face perception and recognition of emotion (also gender task controls for demand characteristics)..
the strange stories task indicated concurrent validity
umm..and the comparison groups in the sample, how can you relate that to validity?

strange stories task was used to check the validity of the eyes task, the sally anne test was important as the results from it showed that adults with autism could pass the test with no problem, suggesting that they had an intact theory of mind. however this was not valid as the test was designed for 6 year olds with autism so was too easy for adults with autism. this created a ceiling effect for the adults. therefore, the autistic adults may not really have an intact theory of mind, hence why Baron Cohen developed 'the eyes task'

Things like internal and external validity . Internal due to the controlled enviroment and because of Age matched controlls etc. Population validity low due to the unrepresetative samples and sex ratios. Standardisation used such as black and white pictures. Eliminates Confounding variables. Stuff like that.
Original post by Skyscraper15
Aw thank you, that'll be great, I've done general stuff for Section A but nothing in detail :s-smilie: can you give me some pointers please? :colondollar:

what study do you need most help with?, because obvs I cant give you info on aaaaall the studies
Original post by EimearL
I only know Milgram for section B so I'm going to cry

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I were you I would look at all the previous answers to these questions and there is no doubt that you won't find the information you need seriously! That's what I did anyway and downloaded all the word counts and printed the power points from college just yesterday on the core studies that other people posted and just added a few notes of my own but just only finished and now cramming my revision all day! ;( and because it's highly likely that the physiological approach, behaviourist and psychodynamic perspective will come someone also was kind enough in posting their's on word soo don't worry and just look back at the answers and I'm sure you'll be okay just follow what people predicted overall for the sections!:colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending