The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Psychology: G544: Approaches and Research Methods - Monday 17th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by misty00
Hi no problem...OH I see where your coming from! You've done better than me so well done yourself! I was including g544 when I said I have 289 ums so yes youll be fine you can defo get your A!! mines almost impossible I might be able to just skim it......I have to get like 70/80 raw marks on this last exam to get an A overall :frown:

I'm not sure how many raw marks the 88 ums that I need is but I reckon that I probably need 70/80 raw marks too. I'm trying to just learn everything and keep practicing lots and lots of questions in timed conditions. I think just writing my post above helped me realise that I need to calm down and just get on with it.
I know that the high mark of 70/80 seems scary, but compared to the previous exams, G544 does seem to be somewhat easier so hopefully we'll be ok! :smile:
Original post by misty00
Anyone? Pls plsss? :frown:

I'm not sure but if by 100 ums you mean 100% then would it not just be 100% in raw marks too? So 80/08? Maybe it would be between 98-100% instead.
I'm trying to figure out how many raw marks 88 ums is.
Original post by Joe Maz
- It allows you to look at one explanation specifically which allows for a greater evaluation of that explanation
- It tends to have a high level of control using an experimental method which means it has less extraneous variables. This means it is more useful as the data will be higher in validity.

Think those ideas are right (Don't eat me if they're not, I'm still learning) :wink:

Haha i wont eat you dont worry! :P Thanks so much for your help! x
Reply 143
Original post by daydreamer.15
Hi
I'm new to the TSR and absolutely worried about this G544 exam.
I've figured out that I need to get at least 88/100 UMS in this exam to get an A overall, mainly because I did so bad in the G543 exam, by muddling my answers and misinterpreting the questions which is really annoying because I did actually know my stuff. I did resit it on Monday but if anything I probably did worse.

I'm so worried about needing practically 90% that my worry is overtaking my ability to revise and concentrate properly for the exam. To make it worse, I have a biology exam on the 17th as well I should really stop worrying and just keep revising.
These are my results so far:
G541: 53/60 A
G542: 110/140 B
G543: 69/100 C
So far, I'm on 232/300 which is a B

I've never worried about my Psychology grade up to now. I've always done well in class and my teacher once even said that I was capable of getting an A* overall. Not any more :frown:. It's only now that my G543 resit went so awful that I've realised how much I need to do.

So far I have been getting Bs and As on my mocks which is good. I feel that I could get 90% by revising my hardest and keeping calm in the exam. But I'm now so worried and fixated on trying to achieve 88/100 that I'd rather just cry and give up.

Desperately hoping that someone out there is either in the same position (I can't be the only one) or that someone can give me some advice.
Thanks!

Did you find the G543 on Monday really hard a well? I found it awful, I COMPLETELY ****ed up the paper, I am an A* candidate and I generally think I got an E on the paper I did so bad, it's impossible for me now to even get an A :frown:

Just aim for 88!!!! Just make sure to revise loads over the weekend! :smile:
Reply 144
[QUOTE="daydreamer.15;43135455"]Wikstrom, Sutherland and Samuel and Bryant are studies that you can also use for the developmental approach.
good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile[/SIZE
Thank you! :smile:
Reply 145
I'm not sure but if by 100 ums you mean 100% then would it not just be 100% in raw marks too? So 80/08? Maybe it would be between 98-100% instead.
I'm trying to figure out how many raw marks 88 ums is.

im not sure exactly but 88 UMS should be about 66/67 UMS but it does depend on the grade boundries each year...they don't change too much only by 1-3 marks.

And no because an A is 80 UMS and 7 more marks will be an A* so you don't need 100% to get 100UMS.
How much time is advised to spend on section A and section B?
Reply 147
Original post by BrydieAdams
How much time is advised to spend on section A and section B?

45 mins Section A and 45 mins Section B (but you may find you can complete Section A in 30-35 mins giving you 55 mins/ 1hour on Section B) also depends on the speed of your writing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 148
Any suggestions for what you think is gonna come up??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 149
Original post by mkhan9035
Section B:

(a) Outline...

Part (a) will ask you to outline an approach, issue, debate or method. This question is worth 4 marks and to achieve these, your answer must meet the following criteria…

The main components of the approach are clearly and accurately described. Detail is appropriate to level and time allowed. The answer is clearly related to the approach/issue/debate/method. The candidate clearly understands the approach in question. Confident use of psychological terminology and concepts.

In order to meet this criteria, ensure your answer covers the following points:

An introductory sentence to your answer.

The main assumptions/definitions/examples etc.

Use of appropriate terminology, with no spelling/grammar errors.

Part (b) will ask you to describe two studies related to an approach, issue, debate or method. This question is worth 8 marks and to achieve these, your answer must meet the following criteria…

‘Definition of terms is accurate and use of psychological terminology is comprehensive. The range of theories/studies described is appropriate and taken from at least two different sources. Description of knowledge (theories/studies) is accurate, coherent and detailed. Elaboration, use of example, quality of description is very good. The answer is competently structured and organised (global structure introduced at start and followed throughout). Quality of written communication is very good.’

The aim, method, procedure, results and conclusion of the study. (From AS or A2)

An explanatory sentence or two that explicitly relates the study back to the question.

The aim, method, procedure, results and conclusion of the study. (From AS or A2)

An explanatory sentence or two that explicitly relates the study back to the question.

Part (c) will ask you to describe strengths and limitations of an approach, issue, debate or method. This question is worth 12 marks and to achieve these, your answer must meet the following criteria…

Evaluation (positive and negative points) is comprehensive. Range (eg two or more positive and two or more negative) of points is balanced. Points are competently organised into issues/debates, methods or approaches. Selection of points is explicitly related to the assessment request and demonstrates impressive psychological knowledge. Effective use of supporting examples from unit content. Quality of argument (or comment) arising from points is clear and well developed. Analysis (valid conclusions that effectively summarise issues and arguments) is evident. Evaluation is detailed and understanding is thorough.

*REMEMBER PEE/PEC (Point, Evidence, Explain) (Point, Evidence, Comment)

A strength of the approach/issue/debate method

Explain WHY this is a strength

Provide an example from any relevant research.(From AS or A2)

Introduce another strength

Give an explanation why its a strength

Provide an example (From AS or A2)

State the weakness of the approach/issue/debate/method

Explain WHY its a weakness

Provide an example from a piece of relevant research (From AS or A2)

Introduce another weakness

Give an explanation WHY its a Weakness

Provide an example (From AS or A2)

Part (d) will ask you to compare two approaches or two research methods in psychology. This question is worth 8 marks and to achieve these, your answer must meet the following criteria…

‘For 7-8 marks there should be at least two points of comparison linked with evidence from both the approaches/research methods. Candidates may draw comparisons between the types of methods used and the types of data collected, or may use evaluation issues such as reductionism, determinism, ethics, usefulness, etc.’

At least one similarity. (From AS or A2)

A full explanation of the similarity, in relation to both approaches/research methods.

Research evidence from both approaches/research methods to support your point.

At least one difference. (From AS or A2)

A full explanation of the difference, in relation to both approaches/research methods.

Research evidence from both approaches/research methods to support your point.

Part (e) ask you to describe the a relevant issue/debate/method and how it links to an approach/method/debate/issue etc. This question is worth 8 marks and to achieve these, your answer must meet the following criteria…

Discussion is comprehensive. Range of supporting arguments is balanced and coherently
organised. Selection of arguments from a variety of sources is explicitly related to the question and demonstrates impressive psychological knowledge. Quality of argument (or comment) is clear and well developed. Discussion is detailed and understanding is
thorough.

Present the first half of the argument e.g. why it is useful/deterministic/reductionist etc

Provide an example of any relevant research that supports this (From AS or A2)

Explain why it is (or isn't) useful/deterministic/reductionist etc

Present the second half of the argument e.g. why is isn't useful/deterministic/reductionist etc

Provide an example of any relevant research (From AS or A2)

Explain why it isn't useful/deterministic/reductionist etc (whatever the issue is in the question)

Conclude by providing an explanatory sentence or two that explicitly relates the study back to the question.

Hope that helps you

Thanks so much!!! :smile:
Original post by AvaSofia
Did you find the G543 on Monday really hard a well? I found it awful, I COMPLETELY ****ed up the paper, I am an A* candidate and I generally think I got an E on the paper I did so bad, it's impossible for me now to even get an A :frown:

Just aim for 88!!!! Just make sure to revise loads over the weekend! :smile:

Thanks for the reply. I am also an a/a* candidate. But I agree Mondays exam was awful and I bet that I probably got an e on it too. I did get a c first time though so that makes it a little bit better but I haven't been able to stop thinking about how badly I answered the paper despite writing like crazy! Hopefully others found it hard too and they'll lower the grade boundaries slightly. You never know. Perhaps we're over analysing the paper too much. Maybe we'll surprise ourselves...?
Thanks for the advice though! Revising like crazy is definitely the plan!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 151
someone please sit this exam for me, im screwed :frown:
Reply 152
Original post by misty00
Hi, its 320 UMS to get an A overall isn't it...so your on 232/320 you mean

which means you need 88 more ums than you already have so I think youd have to do more than one exam?

Im on 289 UMS and I can just about make it to an A with g544 by getting 70 or more out of 80 in this exam

How are you working this out? o.o Because surely, if 320/400 UMS is an A and you currently have 289 UMS, why would you need 70/80 raws in the exam?? 320-289 is only 31 UMS so you'd need more like 20/80 to get your A, surely? o:
Reply 153
Thanks for the reply. I am also an a/a* candidate. But I agree Mondays exam was awful and I bet that I probably got an e on it too. I did get a c first time though so that makes it a little bit better but I haven't been able to stop thinking about how badly I answered the paper despite writing like crazy! Hopefully others found it hard too and they'll lower the grade boundaries slightly. You never know. Perhaps we're over analysing the paper too much. Maybe we'll surprise ourselves...?
Thanks for the advice though! Revising like crazy is definitely the plan!

Posted from TSR Mobile

In school we've actually seen people who write with the most terrible grammar and English yet they get over half marks. You guys are definitely being hard on yourselves, especially if you're usually A*/A candidates! Did you get your script back for your January exam or do you know where you went wrong?
Original post by mkhan9035
45 mins Section A and 45 mins Section B (but you may find you can complete Section A in 30-35 mins giving you 55 mins/ 1hour on Section B) also depends on the speed of your writing

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much!
Original post by Aliyaa
In school we've actually seen people who write with the most terrible grammar and English yet they get over half marks. You guys are definitely being hard on yourselves, especially if you're usually A*/A candidates! Did you get your script back for your January exam or do you know where you went wrong?

Yes I did get my script back for the jan exam. I lost 8 marks by writing about the wrong study in one of the 10 markers - the annoying thing was that I actually knew the right study inside out but just didn't think that that was the right study for the question. Also lost marks by needing a bit more context. However, where I lost the most marks was by misreading the q. Eg evaluating the research as a whole rather than just focusing on the methods or treatments or whatever else that the q asked for.
Maybe you're right about the grammar thing bc in my class, there were lots of people who usually didn't try that hard or who usually got bs and cs that ended up with really high grades. The psychology dept at my college said that after asking for both high grade and low grade scripts back, that there were loads of people with high grades who may have gotten lenient markers and that had the teachers been marking those papers then they probably wouldn't have given them as a high a grade. I thought this was pretty mean of them to say tbh. However my teacher did tell me that I probably had an extra harsh marker and should just resist anyway. Either way, when this is what the teachers are saying about ocr and their examiners, it really makes you lose confidence in them. No wonder Michael Gove wants educational reforms.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 156
Yes I did get my script back for the jan exam. I lost 8 marks by writing about the wrong study in one of the 10 markers - the annoying thing was that I actually knew the right study inside out but just didn't think that that was the right study for the question. Also lost marks by needing a bit more context. However, where I lost the most marks was by misreading the q. Eg evaluating the research as a whole rather than just focusing on the methods or treatments or whatever else that the q asked for.
Maybe you're right about the grammar thing bc in my class, there were lots of people who usually didn't try that hard or who usually got bs and cs that ended up with really high grades. The psychology dept at my college said that after asking for both high grade and low grade scripts back, that there were loads of people with high grades who may have gotten lenient markers and that had the teachers been marking those papers then they probably wouldn't have given them as a high a grade. I thought this was pretty mean of them to say tbh. However my teacher did tell me that I probably had an extra harsh marker and should just resist anyway. Either way, when this is what the teachers are saying about ocr and their examiners, it really makes you lose confidence in them. No wonder Michael Gove wants educational reforms.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah jeez :/ 8 marks for doing that?! How annoying. Our psych department has been marking us so harshly all year so when we read the sample answers, we were shocked to say the least :') And yeah, that is a little harsh. But then it's really unfair how some people have very lenient markers and other's really harsh. If I don't get the grade I need on results day, I would probably send it back for it to be remarked. It wouldn't really make a difference if my mark went down then but I'd hope for a nicer marker the second time round :P Examiners are never reliable, it worries me!
Reply 157
Does anyone know how much UMS you need out of 400 to get an A/B/C?
Reply 158
Original post by icebergs
Does anyone know how much UMS you need out of 400 to get an A/B/C?

320/400 - A
280/400 - B
240/400 - C

I think! Not 100% sure, though.
Reply 159
Does anyone know what came up for section B in the Jan '13 paper?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending