The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3,C4 June 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MedMed12
Is it just me or are c4 solomon papers quite nice? I've found them easier than the past paper I just looked at, whereas c3 solomon are so hard :/

Yeah i'm finding them strangely easy, only done 4 though so i dunno about the rest of them :tongue: i'm not complaining though, hopefully this means that the real exam will be okay :smile:
Original post by Lilmzbest
Yeah i'm finding them strangely easy, only done 4 though so i dunno about the rest of them :tongue: i'm not complaining though, hopefully this means that the real exam will be okay :smile:

:/ I'm mentally preparing for a shock! :/ I doubt the questions are as nice as the solomon ones. If I can do the solomon c4 ones with little to no problem, then something DEFINITELY is not right :tongue:
Original post by ArcRaman
I think they will definetly have long intergration questions e.g. 7/8 markers, they will try to make the differential equations harder by trying to embed an exponential quadratic or some sort.

Yeah i'm preparing for long integration questions, there's always at least one substitution one :tongue:
Original post by Prabin
Perfect! Thanks, I think I'm going to just memorise that anyway haha.

Also, How do I integrate 2t2^t

Thanks

Several ways.

Firstly, you could write it as eln2t=etln2e^{\ln 2^t}=e^{t \ln 2} which you can probably integrate.

Or, you could take a substitution of u=2tu=2^t. :smile:

Original post by masryboy94
good you pointed that out. in the january 2013 paper you had to differentiate y=(2^t) - 1, i would of though after differentiating you get dy/dx = [(2^t) - 1]ln2 but in the mark scheme it's dy/dx = (2^t)ln2. reason why im confused because when you get to the step dy/dx = yln2 you sub in for y. but they subbed in only the first part of y; "2^t" when in fact y= (2^t) - 1:confused:

You need to differentiate the 2t2^t and the 1 separately. :smile:
Original post by usycool1
Several ways.

Firstly, you could write it as eln2t=etln2e^{\ln 2^t}=e^{t \ln 2} which you can probably integrate.

Or, you could take a substitution of u=2tu=2^t. :smile:

You need to differentiate the 2t2^t and the 1 separately. :smile:

I don't know how to use LaTeX so please try to follow:

If you consider: 2^t ... d/dt (2^t) = 2^tln2

Thus intergrating both sides with respect to t, I'll denote the integration sign with S

S[d/dt(2^t)] = ln2 S [2^t]

Therefore dividing both sides by ln2

S[2^t] = 2^t / ln2
(edited 10 years ago)
this is crazy ! im finishing the soloman papers within 45 minutes and getting above the 85% each time :eek: i think i should do exam papers since i believe there harder, right? what do you lot think? because i know for sure it should not take 45 mins to finish a soloman paper !
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1106
this is crazy ! im finishing the soloman papers within 45 minutes and getting above the 85% each time :eek: i think i should do exam papers since i believe there harder, right? what do you lot think? because i know for sure it should not take 45 mins to finish a soloman paper !

Tbh don't aim for speed because that's pointless.

It's better to do 3 Solomon Press in Proper time and get 100% than to do 6 in 45 Mins and lose marks.

In the Exam your aiming not to lose marks. Not to finish in a fast time. Ideally you shouldn't be making any mistakes in the Solomon.
Reply 1107

I think speed is very important its good your finishing the papers so quickly with high accuracy. Ensure when you do the questions to answer them carefully trying not to make a mistake but quickly aswell, so when you finished the paper in (say) an hour you would have 30 minutes to check over your answers (this is the best case scenario). Its better to semi-"rush" (while being carefully and checking your answers) and finish the paper quickly so you have a crazy amount of time to go over your answers/question rather to finish the whole paper in exactly 1hour 30mins which leaves no time to check anything.
i think this works for most , put for people who struggle with the subject and will make lots of mistakes i don't advice it...
(edited 10 years ago)
Heya could someone help me with this question? It's substitution.

its question 3 on the exam style paper on page 142 in the Edexcel textbook.
Original post by nukethemaly

what is it exactly you are stuck with?

The integration by substitution question?

What have you tried? :smile:
well firstly you would differentiate u = 5x +3 to give you du/dx = 5, rearrange it to give du/5 = dx {also note that x = (u-3)/5} then change the limits by subbing in 3 and 0 into u = 5x + 3 to give you 18 and 3 respectively. once you have done those steps you are good to go.

Spoiler

p.s. quite ironic that a few weeks back i was worried about integration and you told me substitution is crazy and now im helping you :wink::biggrin::rolleyes::colondollar: hahaa
well firstly you would differentiate u = 5x +3 to give you du/dx = 5, rearrange it to give du/5 = dx {also note that x = (u-3)/5} then change the limits by subbing in 3 and 0 into u = 5x + 3 to give you 18 and 3 respectively. once you have done those steps you are good to go.

Spoiler

p.s. quite ironic that a few weeks back i was worried about integration and you told me substitution is crazy and now im helping you :wink::biggrin::rolleyes::colondollar: hahaa

Not that one! It's the question where they're asking you to substitute x = secθ
Not that one! It's the question where they're asking you to substitute x = secθ

weird, i aint got that :confused: the one i showed you is my question 3 in the exam style paper hmm. what the question then?
weird, i aint got that :confused: the one i showed you is my question 3 in the exam style paper hmm. what the question then?

We have different textbook papers? Oh no wonder there are no solutions available on the livetext for this paper! Uh give me a second i'll take a picture and attach it yeah?
We have different textbook papers? Oh no wonder there are no solutions available on the livetext for this paper! Uh give me a second i'll take a picture and attach it yeah?

okay :biggrin:
Original post by usycool1
The integration by substitution question?

What have you tried? :smile:

Yeah that one! I've attached my neatest try! and also the question

EDIT: I literally don't know what i'm trying to do with those limits there haha
(edited 10 years ago)
okay :biggrin:

It's this question

and props to you for being better than me now. I'll catch up soon :wink:

and the power on the bracket says 3/2 in case it's hard to read!
(edited 10 years ago)

Spoiler

lol that question is on Q3 page 140 not 142
Original post by Proflash
lol that question is on Q3 page 140 not 142

Oh yeah and I've already done that one. It's just the trig substitutions I have trouble with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending