The Student Room Group

Chris Huhne sentenced to 8 MONTHS imprisonment

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Fullofsurprises
TBH neither is likely - he won't ever run as an MP again and he is too tainted to be Peered.

I suspect he will end up working quietly at something, perhaps a backroom job in a Windmill pressure group or something. Vicky, what will happen to her now??

Considering his career before Parliament, he won't be short of job opportunities when he's released.
Reply 61
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I agree, it's way over the top. Can't think why this has happened for any other reason than the CPS were determined to make an example of some highups, for the encouragement of lesser mortals. Or (perish the thought) someone high up in the structure saw it as a great opportunity to pee on a leading LibDem politician from a great height?

If he'd held his hand up and taken the blame at the earliest opportunity he'd have been looking at a caution or a fine at worst which is what usually happens when the police detect points trading. Can't you see any advantage in giving people an incentive to come clean and not waste everybodies time?

Looks to me like it had become a case of not wanting to back down in front of the ex regardless of the consequences, neither come out of it looking very rational.
Original post by Joinedup
If he'd held his hand up and taken the blame at the earliest opportunity he'd have been looking at a caution or a fine at worst which is what usually happens when the police detect points trading. Can't you see any advantage in giving people an incentive to come clean and not waste everybodies time?

Looks to me like it had become a case of not wanting to back down in front of the ex regardless of the consequences, neither come out of it looking very rational.

Yes, of course I can see the advantages of encouraging early pleading, I'm just a bit taken aback at the general severity, but it has been a particularly egregious example of legal time wasting by both of them, so perhaps it is justified.
Reply 63
Original post by andypandy11

The irony for Vicky Pryce is that because there are so few women's prisons, they have far less selection to place her in, so she may well end up staying where she is for the majority of her sentence, while Huhne is down at an open prison, out on weekends. Lol.

Serves her right for trying to stitch him up.
Well, it's been nearly a week now and thank God Chris Huhne isn't prowling the streets any more.

I've been sleeping so much better knowing this danger to society is safely locked away. Crime plummeted overnight.
Apparently there are whole police stations with officers twiddling their thumbs just waiting for a call to someone doing 43 in a 40 zone.

Half a million quid well spent. Good to see our judiciary have their fingers on the pulse with a clear head for where the real issues are, instead of piffling around with the likes of rapists, terror suspects, slavery gangs, human traffickers and so on.

(For our American readers, that was sarcasm :smile:
Original post by digitaltoast
Well, it's been nearly a week now and thank God Chris Huhne isn't prowling the streets any more.

I've been sleeping so much better knowing this danger to society is safely locked away. Crime plummeted overnight.
Apparently there are whole police stations with officers twiddling their thumbs just waiting for a call to someone doing 43 in a 40 zone.

Half a million quid well spent. Good to see our judiciary have their fingers on the pulse with a clear head for where the real issues are, instead of piffling around with the likes of rapists, terror suspects, slavery gangs, human traffickers and so on.

(For our American readers, that was sarcasm :smile:

No-one ever said it would result in drastic changes, not for us anyway, however I have zero sympathy for him. He tried to evade justice and was caught red handed. Tough cheese.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending