The Student Room Group

I don't know what college to go to

So I have to start thinking about college since I'm going in like 2 years time. Varndean college in Brighton looks so good and I would love to go there, only problem is that its 23 mins away by car or 1 hour and 15 mins by bus and train. Then there's this local college which is Sussex downs college. I've looked into and I don't really want to go there but its only 10 mins away by bus but I wouldn't enjoy it there. would there be any way i could get a free bus/train pass so I can go to Varndean and not have to pay out on bus and train fees? thanks :bl:
Reply 1
I go to SDC (Lewes campus) and absolutely love it- they have been nothing but supportive and I have grown so much as a person since starting thanks to the amazing teachers and tutors. If you have any questions, feel free to ask :smile:

And I am fairly sure that you won't get free travel, however there are student deals you can get; I think you get 1/3 off trains, but not sure about buses.
Reply 2
Original post by Gnome :)
I go to SDC (Lewes campus) and absolutely love it- they have been nothing but supportive and I have grown so much as a person since starting thanks to the amazing teachers and tutors. If you have any questions, feel free to ask :smile:

And I am fairly sure that you won't get free travel, however there are student deals you can get; I think you get 1/3 off trains, but not sure about buses.

Thanks, I've only gotten feedback from certain people and they said they didn't but a good review helps makes my decision. I am probably going to go to SDC since it will be easier for everyone around me if I do.
Reply 3
Original post by robotman831
Thanks, I've only gotten feedback from certain people and they said they didn't but a good review helps makes my decision. I am probably going to go to SDC since it will be easier for everyone around me if I do.

It probably depends on the course and campus; where and what are you hoping to study?

Have a look around all of the open days. I wanted to go to Varndean in Y11 but just didn't like it when I looked around. I have friends that went there and liked it, so it's probably a good college, but everyone has different tastes.
Reply 4
It probably depends on the course and campus; where and what are you hoping to study?

Have a look around all of the open days. I wanted to go to Varndean in Y11 but just didn't like it when I looked around. I have friends that went there and liked it, so it's probably a good college, but everyone has different tastes.

I want to study health and social care and sociology and yeah, I will look around next year. Hopefully I warm up to it :smile:
Reply 5
Good choice! I do health and social care (single award, but I'm presuming you want to do double) so ask if you have any questions. The teachers are absolutely lovely, and so are the other students :smile:
Reply 6
Good choice! I do health and social care (single award, but I'm presuming you want to do double) so ask if you have any questions. The teachers are absolutely lovely, and so are the other students :smile:
I do have 1 question, whats the time table like. like what time does SDC start and will I have days with less lessons so I could go home early? Thank :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by robotman831
I do have 1 question, whats the time table like. like what time does SDC start and will I have days with less lessons so I could go home early? Thank :smile:

The time table is quite nice, actually :smile: It can vary though depending on when your lessons are scheduled for.

With double H+SC and sociology, you would have 9 x 80min lessons per week (6 for HSC, 3 for sociology), plus a tutorial (timetabled for 80min but usually shorter) and a HSC tutorial. Tutorials happen most weeks, but the HSC tutorials are much less regular. The college day is 9-5, however I doubt you would get more than a day or 2 like that, and you would have lesson gaps (i.e. lesson at 9, lesson at 12 and lesson at 3.40). What you do in the lesson gaps is entirely up to you; study, go home, wander around town etc. Doing HSC you will have to do voluntary work, and it is pretty easy to fit it in around these times. Wednesday afternoons are always free, too.

If you want an example, my timetable is
Monday: 9-3:20, with a gap between 12-2
Tuesday: 2-3:20
Wednesday: 9-10:20
Thursday: 9-1
Friday: 10:40-3:20

It's totally different to school in that you don't have to register every morning, your teacher just takes a register at the beginning of class :smile:
Reply 8
The time table is quite nice, actually :smile: It can vary though depending on when your lessons are scheduled for.

With double H+SC and sociology, you would have 9 x 80min lessons per week (6 for HSC, 3 for sociology), plus a tutorial (timetabled for 80min but usually shorter) and a HSC tutorial. Tutorials happen most weeks, but the HSC tutorials are much less regular. The college day is 9-5, however I doubt you would get more than a day or 2 like that, and you would have lesson gaps (i.e. lesson at 9, lesson at 12 and lesson at 3.40). What you do in the lesson gaps is entirely up to you; study, go home, wander around town etc. Doing HSC you will have to do voluntary work, and it is pretty easy to fit it in around these times. Wednesday afternoons are always free, too.

If you want an example, my timetable is
Monday: 9-3:20, with a gap between 12-2
Tuesday: 2-3:20
Wednesday: 9-10:20
Thursday: 9-1
Friday: 10:40-3:20

It's totally different to school in that you don't have to register every morning, your teacher just takes a register at the beginning of class :smile:
Thank god for that. Otherwise I would just feel like I'm in another 2 years of school :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest