The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aasvogel
Tu as probablement raison! Je vais me rappeler ça (please tell me that's used correctly!:colondollar:) quand 'I am stuck!

:smile: le voyeurisme ? :eek:
Gott sei Dank, dass ich diese Aufgabe nicht bestehen darf!
Original post by constantmeowage
:smile: le voyeurisme ? :eek:

Non - les phrases folles!
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Ahah je vois :wink:

Le livre s'appelle "The Ice Princess"! C'est l'histoire... Meurtre

Il semble... intèressant.
(mais pas pour moi :tongue:)
Reply 3204
Original post by Octopus_Garden
Gott sei Dank, dass ich diese Aufgabe nicht bestehen darf!

Shouldn't that be 'muss'?!
Original post by Ronove
Shouldn't that be 'muss'?!
I'm trying to say "I need not pass". Isn't that ich darf nicht then? It's not that I'm forbidden to pass this assignment. It's simply that I don't need to.
I'm trying to say "I need not pass". Isn't that ich darf nicht then? It's not that I'm forbidden to pass this assignment. It's simply that I don't need to.

Wouldn't that mean 'I'm not allowed to pass'?
Great. Not only can I not handle the questions on this bloody entry-level assignment in English without the guidance at the back (Incidentally, I HATE drawing spray diagrams) but I've forgotten how to speak German at even GCSE level.

I feel grumpy. Ich gehe zu Bett!
Reply 3208

Darf and darf nicht are both about permission. Muss and muss nicht are about having to do something or not having to do something. I'd say it actually makes more sense than the English. :tongue:
I have a question to the use of the words 'based on', 'due to' and 'concern/ing' in English grammar. Although these different words have the identical meaning, I wonder whether it makes a difference, if I use one of them randomly.
Original post by Kallisto
I have a question toabout the use of the words 'based on', 'due to' and 'concern/ing' in English grammar. Although these different words have the identical meaning, I wonder whether it makes a difference, if I use one of them randomly.

Based on the facts.
Due to the overwhelming evidence.

It's a subtle difference. You can use either, but "due to the facts" just sounds a bit weird. I'd use an adjective after "due to the"
Reply 3211
I have a question to the use of the words 'based on', 'due to' and 'concern/ing' in English grammar. Although these different words have the identical meaning, I wonder whether it makes a difference, if I use one of them randomly.

'Concerning' doesn't really seem to fit in with the other two at all. I can't think of a situation where you'd be able to choose one of the other two over 'concerning'.

'We've recently received a letter concerning an overdue payment on your account.'

'We are recommending you make monthly payments of £40, based on the income information you have given us.'

'You will need to phone us to arrange payment, as this is not possible by email, due to security issues.'

Edit: Can you tell I was just on the phone to Student Finance? :biggrin:

'Due to' is like a synonym for 'because of', so replace it with the latter and see if it makes sense.
'Based on' would be a bit more factual and could be used if you were elaborating on something - 'based on the fact that...'

Concerning - bezüglich

"Concerning your recent outburst, I'm going to have to shut you in the office for a few hours to calm down."

Based on - meaning 'because of', but used when you're using something as evidence and about to make a point with it.

"Based on what you've done today, I wouldn't even leave you in control of a teacup!"

Due to - meaning 'because of', but used when giving an outcome of whatever has happened beforehand.

"Due to his getting a nosebleed, I'm banning blood in the shop!"
I was flicking through forming negatives there and I have a question.

If you were saying something like 'no-one likes you' or 'no-one watches TV' or 'no-one plays football with him', what would be the pronoun?
For French btw.

If you were saying something like 'no-one likes you' or 'no-one watches TV' or 'no-one plays football with him', what would be the pronoun?
For French btw.

Nobody/no one is (ne) personne (ne)...
(edited 10 years ago)

For French btw.

Personne :smile: But it's structured like this:

Personne ne t'aime
No one likes you

Personne ne joue au foot avec lui
No one plays football with him

It's the same with the other ones

Il vaut mieux que rien ne soit dit
It's better that nothing be said.
Thanks to all! I have just read your comments which were helpful and hope to keep these differences in my mind. By the way I want to know whether there is a difference between 'try' and 'attempt'. Can you help me again, please?
Thanks to all! I have just read your comments which were helpful and hope to keep these differences in my mind. By the way I want to know whether there is a difference between 'try' and 'attempt'. Can you help me again, please?

Not really. :smile: Try is more day-to-day in terms of usage, you'd use 'attempt' a bit less often, but it makes you sound 'well-spoken' if you use as often as one would normally use 'try'. You can't use 'try' as a noun though, you can only say 'an attempt' (a try is something different :tongue:).

Try is more informal and easy going...

Attempt is official, and also, if there's more than one I'd use attempt.

After a second attempt as opposed to 'after a second try'

But you'd say "I'll try again" not "I'll attempt again"

Latest

Trending

Trending