The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tess_rach
How is it only half as difficult as French? German grammar is appalling!! (Although Italian is worse)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I bought a wee book on Italian grammar, what do you think is hard? (haven't read it really, just wanna look out for the harder stuff). :smile:
Original post by aasvogel
Does making users' names bold draw their attention via a notification?
It makes it easier for them to see they are being addressed when they scan down the page.
Original post by Molly_xox
Nope, I'm generally alright with spoken Portuguese, in the same way I'm okay with (basic) spoken Arabic and Thai, but that won't help me on here :s-smilie: I know phrases of Irish and Scottish Gaelic but again, not helpful. I'll try and pick it up as I go along, or just wait for the rare French/Spanish speakers :')

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's really cool, how did you learn some Thai & Arabic?? Spoken European Portuguese sounds very odd to those who are familiar with Esoañol apparently, it takes an amazing linguist to fully decipher such language :redface:

Does making users' names bold draw their attention via a notification?

Nopeee just a "when you read this, correct me if I'm wrong" tangg
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm liking zee usage of the word "wee" :tongue:
Reply 5324
Original post by Baraf
Lol I think its because I learned the language, unless an extraterrestrial being popped down and rewired my brain so that I would be fluent in danish. :rolleyes:
whats your story :biggrin:

The question was more how did you come to learn Danish. :wink: Did your family move to Denmark after you were born? Or were you born in Denmark and spoke a different language at home? Just some guesses.

I happened to acquire a Danish boyfriend, and I'm sure you can guess the rest...
Original post by thatitootoo
It's not that popular on this thread u knw ^^
There have been a few Dutch learners on this thread but they kind of come and go :tongue: Vionar can write a birthday card
Constantmeowage seems to know Dutch, Ronove knows Danish and German and is familiar with the historic sound shifts which occured in Germanic languages, so she can read it I think :tongue:

Can you understand written Portuguese? :wink:

Seem being very much the operative word in this case!

Er is nog steeds veel te veel te doen, ik kan de taal in deze vakantie niet leren! :frown:

Original post by Molly_xox
Nope, I'm generally alright with spoken Portuguese, in the same way I'm okay with (basic) spoken Arabic and Thai, but that won't help me on here :s-smilie: I know phrases of Irish and Scottish Gaelic but again, not helpful. I'll try and pick it up as I go along, or just wait for the rare French/Spanish speakers :')

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, ¡hay hispanohablantes y hablantes del francés aquí también (pero no puedo prometerte tener mucha fluidez y buena gramática...)! También he tratado de aprender un poco de portugués, ya que hay mucho en común entre el español y el portugués. :smile: espero que haja bastante tempo para aprender mais da língua quando no tenha muito trabalho :frown:
I'm liking zee usage of the word "wee" :tongue:

Haha, colloquialisms. :smile:

I get the bold thing now, that's what I thought it might be, but always cool in case I find something new. :tongue:
That's really cool, how did you learn some Thai & Arabic?? Spoken European Portuguese sounds very odd to those who are familiar with Esoañol apparently, it takes an amazing linguist to fully decipher such language :redface:

I know waaay more Arabic - I lived in Qatar for about 18 months when I was 9-10 (I can't remember, it was about 7 years ago) so I learned the numbers from the car numberplates and picked up basics (my name is, please, thank you, congratulations, if God be willing, oh my God, hello, etc) from being around people. I'd love to learn more :biggrin:

I know Thai because we went Thailand once and for some reason as a family we made this massive effort to try and learn some.

I used to go to Portugal a fair bit when I was a kid so yeah, and it is really weird, the sounds are just completely different :lol:

But I picked up nearly all of it from word of mouth so I have no idea how to spell/convey any of it on here :frown:
I bought a wee book on Italian grammar, what do you think is hard? (haven't read it really, just wanna look out for the harder stuff). :smile:

It has 7 different ways of saying 'the' - il, lo, l', la, i, gli and le! I bought a BBC teach yourself Italian book and CDs from a charity shop yesterday - only £1.99!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by constantmeowage

Er is nog steeds veel te veel te doen, ik kan de taal in deze vakantie niet leren! :frown:

No, ¡hay hispanohablantes y hablantes del francés aquí también (pero no puedo prometerte tener mucha fluidez y buena gramática...)! También he tratado de aprender un poco de portugués, ya que hay mucho en común entre el español y el portugués. :smile: espero que haja bastante tempo para aprender mais da língua quando no tenha muito trabalho :frown:

¡Hola! :biggrin: jaja, continuaré con la gramática dudosa :lol: sí, son similares pero la pronunciación es completamente diferente :smile: yo también, pero actualmente no tengo el tiempo :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It has 7 different ways of saying 'the' - il, lo, l', la, i, gli and le! I bought a BBC teach yourself Italian book and CDs from a charity shop yesterday - only £1.99!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's really awkward! (I think I've sussed it, one of the few non-tense grammar topics I've covered).
I couldn't find a decent Italian grammar book in any charity shops. :frown: I got a book of verbs cheap though and I found a huge PowerPoint and big Word document of all the GCSE vocab needed and I have it on my phone to learn when I wish. :smile: I can send you it if you want?
I was gonna buy a French grammar book too, but I've already covered the tenses and the rest of grammar can be found online and I'll just copy it from there. :smile: (as you can guess I'm quite safe with money. :tongue:)
Reply 5331

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's really awkward! (I think I've sussed it, one of the few non-tense grammar topics I've covered).

I must be weird, I didn't find the definite article hard at all! Whereas there are some other things that I just still cannot get :tongue:
Original post by constantmeowage

That was really good though! Jij hebt niet genoeg tijd om de taal in deze vakantie te kunnen leren...maar jij kan al goed Nederlands!!

And also ich bin so eifürsichtig auf die Leute van deze thread. Ze gaan allemaal op vakantie naar mooie bestemming während ich beinahe immer zu Hause bleiben muss :sad:
(edited 10 years ago)
J'adore cet* thread* é muito bom, e eu amo falar muitas linguas* pienso que pasaré mucho tempo aqui* I speak (very poorly) French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin and German
Original post by EmilyJayne14
I must be weird, I didn't find the definite article hard at all! Whereas there are some other things that I just still cannot get :tongue:

It just takes a wee bit of getting used to!
Reply 5335
It just takes a wee bit of getting used to!

Only a little, I suppose that I learnt it a while ago though so have been using it for ages!
Only a little, I suppose that I learnt it a while ago though so have been using it for ages!

I've been learning from scratch for only 3 weeks. :tongue:
Reply 5337

No, I'm with you on that one, the definite article is quite easy to get. I'm stuck on ci and ne though, since there aren't any Spanish equivalents (which is my more familiar Romance language)
I couldn't find a decent Italian grammar book in any charity shops. :frown: I got a book of verbs cheap though and I found a huge PowerPoint and big Word document of all the GCSE vocab needed and I have it on my phone to learn when I wish. :smile: I can send you it if you want?
I was gonna buy a French grammar book too, but I've already covered the tenses and the rest of grammar can be found online and I'll just copy it from there. :smile: (as you can guess I'm quite safe with money. :tongue:)

That would be really good if you could send it to me, is there a way you can do it through messaging on here? If not, if you found it on the Internet, can you send me a link? Also, for French (and also German and Spanish) you can get huge verb tables from Amazon for only £3ish - they're called 'Auf einen Blick' (they're German), and they have holes to clip them into a folder, and they're really useful - my teacher gave me the Spanish one in our last lesson and I bought the French one myself, but I have them both in my folder ready for sixth form! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been learning from scratch for only 3 weeks. :tongue:

I haven't been learning for much longer - less than a month :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending