The Student Room Group

Does this look good, if i'm thinking about going into medicine?

I'm in Year 11 and have my exams in June.
The core subjects that I have to do are:
Triple Science
Double Maths (Linked Pair Pilot) + Linear Maths (3 GCSEs)
English Lit and Language
RE
Citizenship

My Options for GCSE:
Spanish
History
Geography
Drama

I have just chosen my A levels and been accepted into my school's Sixth Form. I chose:
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Government and Politics

I have looked into universities and I hope to go to one of the Medical Schools in London. I would very much appreciate anyone's input or suggestions.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Hi,
It looks cool, but the Government & Politics a-level course could be replaced with something more traditional.
Reply 2
All seems good. Make sure you aim for the best possible grades, though. Some unis require very high grades at GCSE for medicine and so in order to keep your options open when choosing where to apply, you want a solid set of GCSEs. And you will definitely need good A level grades, as I'm sure you know.
Reply 3
Original post by hannah_om
Triple Science
English Lit and Language
RE
Citizenship

My Options for GCSE:
Spanish
History
Geography
Drama

I have just chosen my A levels and been accepted into my school's Sixth Form. I chose:
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Government and Politics

I have looked into universities and I hope to go to one of the Medical Schools in London. I would very much appreciate anyone's input or suggestions.

Hi, I am going through same stage as you, just that I am considering graduate entry more. To be honest, GCSE options do not necessarily matter to much. Any info on your grades at all? Medicine is a demanding degree and a high amount of A*s will most likely be required!
Triple Science
English Lit and Language
RE
Citizenship

My Options for GCSE:
Spanish
History
Geography
Drama

Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Government and Politics

Thats fine.
For Kings College London, make sure you get as many A*'s at GCSE as you can.
I disagree with swapping Govt. & Politics, universities like to see that you are a well rounded individual. Choices look good.
Reply 6
Original post by lolface32
Hi, I am going through same stage as you, just that I am considering graduate entry more. To be honest, GCSE options do not necessarily matter to much. Any info on your grades at all? Medicine is a demanding degree and a high amount of A*s will most likely be required!

Well in most of my subjects I am predicted to get A/A* but in RE they think I will get a B. Of the modules I have done so far I have achieved 3A's 4B's 3A*'s but I will be getting back my Chemistry and Linear maths result on the 18th April. I am hoping that I will get all A's or A*'s in my subjects.
Reply 7
Thanks guys. I am certain of all of my A levels and I saw the head of sixth form and he has said I will get all my subjects if I get B's in them. My Chemistry and Biology teachers have said that I will definitely be accepted into the science A levels. On 18th April I will know if I will be able to do maths because we get our Linear results but even if I don't get an A, which is very unlikely, I have a second chance with the linked paired pilot.
Original post by Goodbye
Hi,
It looks cool, but the Government & Politics a-level course could be replaced with something more traditional.

This. I would suggest swapping it for a more traditional A-level. Perhaps physics?
Reply 9
Original post by Mother_Russia
This. I would suggest swapping it for a more traditional A-level. Perhaps physics?

English lit would be more recommended, because it shows a broad range of skills as opposed to just sciences. BUT IT IS URE CHOICE ! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 10
Thanks guys. I am certain of all of my A levels and I saw the head of sixth form and he has said I will get all my subjects if I get B's in them. My Chemistry and Biology teachers have said that I will definitely be accepted into the science A levels. On 18th April I will know if I will be able to do maths because we get our Linear results but even if I don't get an A, which is very unlikely, I have a second chance with the linked paired pilot.

Are you doing the edexcel course, if so then you can always resit for an A* :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest