The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by owjack
Not really. It was about the same as the Jan 2013 paper. That was 42. Around 42 is my guess too, give or take.

probly 39 for a* because some topic was covered on the b1 book
Original post by MattJGUK
I can't remember this question, was this on the Higher or F?

Higher :smile:
Original post by Rosalie_aqua
I was thinking more like 10 marks for an A* :tongue:

lol the june 2012 paper a* was 26 so why not know ?
Reply 523
Original post by ryanroks1
For the one about how infectious diseases are spread less, would

- More vaccinations
- Antibiotics

count?

I think those are the 2 right answers
Reply 524
Original post by shibucool
5 mark question about statins and aspirin:

I would recommend statins as it has been tested on a large sample size. Statins been tested with 30,000 patients while aspirin only been tested on 1,000 patients. This makes it more reliable. Statins are only prescribed drug so therefore it had been fully tested so you are sure that it will be safe compared to the non-prescribed aspirin. Statins has fewer side effects with 0.1% (some kind of disease) and 0.001% (with something else) while aspirin has 0.5% (of something). Statins reduces blood cholesterol while aspirin don't. Although statins cost more, it is worth it as it is safer than aspirin.

Woohoo! I literally put exactly the same as you, apart from the end where I put that statins cost more but are a better option, because aspirin is not prescribed and so has a higher chance of overdose.
Original post by what-urrp
Would 'Inherited Factors' be allowed do you reckon?

yes mate it would be and it better be cuz i wrote it lol , inherited factors means basically genetics inherited from parents
Reply 526
Original post by Deux
Higher: "Apart from improved hygiene, how have the number of deaths from diseases in hospitals been reduced since Semmelweis' discovery?"

EDIT: That was a paraphrased version of the question. I can't remember it word-for-word.

Ahh. Now I remember it. My first reason I put there is a greater understanding of how diseases are spread compared to 1840's. Second reason was complete rubbish that related to hygiene - hospital equipment used to treat previous patients is cleaned after use.

Not sure if they'll be strict in the mark scheme as I wasn't specific on my first reason it was to do with pathogens and germs spreading.
Original post by yoitskelvin123
should of went for the most obvious answers like sanitizing? or even better medical understanding, but ehh preasure

I wrote
- Improved medicines.
- Improved surgical equipment.

Is that right?
Original post by shibucool
LOL!!!! That will NEVER happen

lol considering the june 2012 paper it could !
Original post by Oreocookie98
i put a healthy balanced diet bcos maybe their normal diets were mass reducing and would affect the results

i wrote that they should eat the same food in the same quantities. with this being the control group shouldnt they all have the same nutritional intake?
Reply 530
Original post by Deux
I do triple award. Biology grade boundaries are always the lowest of the three. Why is this?

grade boundaries are based on how well everyone does so biology must just be hardest for most people
Original post by zintanax
I hope it's around 35. I found some questions very vague and little knowledge was needed for the exam, mainly just graphs which I am awful at.

yeh man i thnk it will be low it was 26 in june 2012 so they can be low like the last page was very hard and awful
Reply 532
Original post by Deux

I mentioned vaccinations - which eliminate viruses from a population - and antibiotics - which reduce the number of people suffering from (and carrying) bacterial infections.

That's exactly what I put. C:
Reply 533

Original post by ahsan_ijaz
yeh man i thnk it will be low it was 26 in june 2012 so they can be low like the last page was very hard and awful

REALLY?! 26/60 for a*?
Reply 534
Wait I'm confused now, I was pretty sure the top box for the biomass was the correct answer, because the energy and material contained in the biomass of organisms is lost at each stage in a food chain, so pyramid shape. Even though the animal plankton was bigger the graph showed that there were about twice as much plant plankton than animal plankton...
Reply 535
Is my swordfish answer correct?

There is variation within the swordfish species meaning some swordfish will have longer swords. Those that do will be able to catch prey more easily compared to those that have smaller beaks and are therefore more likely to survive and reproduce. The gene of the longer sword is passed onto the next generation (offspring).
Reply 536
Original post by TherHig

REALLY?! 26/60 for a*?

Calm down. :smile: Exams with the old Spec were out of 45, whereas the new Spec exams are out of 60. So it used to be around 29-34/45 for A*, whereas with the new spec it's about 38-45/60 for A*. C:
Reply 537
Original post by MattJGUK
Is my swordfish answer correct?

There is variation within the swordfish species meaning some swordfish will have longer swords. Those that do will be able to catch prey more easily compared to those that have smaller beaks and are therefore more likely to survive and reproduce. The gene of the longer sword is passed onto the next generation (offspring).

That's perfect, although I don't know if one of the marks is going for mentioning a mutation...?
Original post by TherHig

REALLY?! 26/60 for a*?

There really have been a range in possible A* grade boundaries. People have been saying '45, 42, 35, 33, 30... now 26!' :confused:
Reply 539
Still say about 44-45 for an A*...

Latest

Trending

Trending