The Student Room Group
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Bsc (hons) in environmental health

hi;

I have applied to study the environmental health degree at Northumbria university starting in 2013. Can any one advice on how demanding the course is because I am a mature student and there are a lot of modules each year, around 8 precisely and need to know if the course really that dense. I have 2 kids as well as a nagging wife :smile: so what are my chances of success thanks
Reply 1
Hello Matey,

I have applied for that degree via UCAS extra. Are you still pursuing it? I will be moving up there should all go well. I am 33 by the way.
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Hi im also a matured student at northumbria, currently do part time and its demanding but not too bad (but I have a small child to contend with as well) I do Biomedical science and was think of transferring to environmental science as I was sure I would fail chemistry (although now I think im fine) - dont want to worry you but I have been informed during my many questions, multiple times by multiple staff that every module must be passed completely in environmental science or its an automatic fail (where as other courses have more relaxed rules as long as you pass the year and the availability of resits for modules) this is the only course at the uni set up like this and I have no idea why but I obviously require a lot of work to pull a guaranteed pass in every modual
Hi I have been successful in accepting a place to study environmental health at Northumbria beginning in seseptember 2013.. very exciting. One thing I am only 18 and it seems that there is only mature students studying this. Is that how it is or is there younger students too? Thanks.
Reply 4
Hello, I just finished my first year of EH at Northumbria. The course itself (so far) is not particularly demanding, unless science is something you find very difficult, then you should not have much of a problem. There are a fair few reports and essays to write however and these seem to tend to all land at once, however I'd say that you have a good chance of doing well. The course also leads directly to a job, which you may find enticing. It is important to note however that this requires a year's placement at a local authority (or suchlike) which is highly unlikely to be paid work. The subject is good and I would recommend it to you. I understand this answer may be a little late, but if you would like any more info, feel free to send me a message.
Reply 5
Hi
thanks for taking the time to respond to my question, much appreciated. Can I ask a couple of questions:
- how dense is the course in term of time table and contact time, I.e is it five days a week and how many hours are you really expected to attend at lectures and seminars on average.

- I have noticed that in year one there is 9 or 10 modules which is quiet a lot comparing to other subjects so I guess you won't have time to scratch your head, am I right.

I appreciate your response and thank you in advance.
Reply 6
The timetable can vary, for example least year I had no lectures on tuesdays or fridays. Some days were fairly busy and some not. Expect a fair quantity of hours. Nothing hideous, but you do have to be in a lot. As for the number of modules, it was 10 that I did last year and actually nearer the beginnings of the terms it was quite relaxed and so on. Bear in mind that assignments are often set at similar times and can build up, of course don't necessarily let this put you off, it would with any subject, but be aware that time can vary, at times there is very little to do, at others you get kept very busy. Studying is also important and you need to factor in time for doing that, as a lot of the courses are exam based.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending