The Student Room Group

AQA Geography Unit 1 May 14th 2013

Anyone else taking this paper?

I'm doing Health, Population, rivers and glaciation. :smile:

Does anyone know/ have the January 2013 paper, as well?

Scroll to see replies

I am. I'm doing rivers, coasts, population and health :smile: have you begun revision yet? I don't know where to start!

Posted from TSR Mobile
i'm doing rivers, coasts, population & health too!! there's a ridiculous amount to learn & im freaking out, especially for the human sections. but its my 1st exam so i would get it out of the way i suppose :smile:
I guess I'm the Only one doing rivers, coasts, population and energy:') but good luck to everyone!:smile:
Reply 4
I'm doing Rivers, Glaciation, Population and Energy Issues :redface:
I'm doing rivers, coasts, population and energy. I really need to get revising!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by NewCeremony
I am. I'm doing rivers, coasts, population and health :smile: have you begun revision yet? I don't know where to start!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I've done some! Soooo many stats to learn, I'd just start with the case studies:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by miss dentist
i'm doing rivers, coasts, population & health too!! there's a ridiculous amount to learn & im freaking out, especially for the human sections. but its my 1st exam so i would get it out of the way i suppose :smile:

I totally agree. The ratio of what we have to learn to what we actually write down is ridiculous! I hope the human section isn't hard too... I'm worried population will be difficult for some reason? :/ Maybe because we're still going through it.
Reply 8
Original post by anwarpwnsall
I guess I'm the Only one doing rivers, coasts, population and energy:') but good luck to everyone!:smile:

that sounds fun, good luck! :smile:
Hey there, I'm doing Rivers, Coasts, Population and energy. I am wondering how do you guys structure your 15 marker questions.. I can't seem to get it right :frown: Thanks and good luck on your revision! :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by confusedperson.
Hey there, I'm doing Rivers, Coasts, Population and energy. I am wondering how do you guys structure your 15 marker questions.. I can't seem to get it right :frown: Thanks and good luck on your revision! :smile:

I always start with an introduction. Introduce what you are writing about and introduce your case study, nothing long, maybe about 3 sentences.

Discussion. Here's your points. Make sure you use evidence and your case study (you won't get into level 3 without it). Try and collect your points into paragraphs e.g economic impacts, social impacts.

Conclusion- summarise the points you've made but don't bring in new information. (Except I always try to add if I know a specific statistic about a link to the future in here but that's just something I like to add its not crucial :smile: )Like the introduction this shouldn't be very long.

That's the general structure I go for and I pretty much consistently get 15 in my 15 markers. Sometimes though in Physical when asked to describe a landform I skip the conclusion. Mainly because there's nothing to say except "and that's a river. "

(If you ever want me to check one you've written or anything feel free to reply or send me it, though I obviously know nothing about energy issues or coasts :smile:)
good luck :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
How do you guys actually revise? Is it just note-making or do you make revision cards and mind maps etc? I'd like to hear how others are approaching it, the amount of things we need to know and I haven't gone back over yet seems daunting. I make notes from the text book and revision guide but it takes me about an hour to condense a double page down, which is too slow for my liking :frown: any tips?

I have found however that making quizzes on www.quizlet.com is particularly effective for refreshing your memory on key points for case studies :smile:
Reply 12
How do you revise? Revision cards? Past papers? Revise through exercise book? I'm trying to make revision cards for case study facts only, but the amount of time it takes...
Reply 13
I make revision posters and cards but it really does take so long! I'm doing rivers, coasts, population and energy plus I have another exam the same day...why exam boards why do you not talk to each other :'( Anyone else found that the way they write the physical 15markers and the human ones are completely different? It might just be that I have different teachers for the different sides though...good luck everyone! :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by NaomiASuts
I always start with an introduction. Introduce what you are writing about and introduce your case study, nothing long, maybe about 3 sentences.

Discussion. Here's your points. Make sure you use evidence and your case study (you won't get into level 3 without it). Try and collect your points into paragraphs e.g economic impacts, social impacts.

Conclusion- summarise the points you've made but don't bring in new information. (Except I always try to add if I know a specific statistic about a link to the future in here but that's just something I like to add its not crucial :smile: )Like the introduction this shouldn't be very long.

That's the general structure I go for and I pretty much consistently get 15 in my 15 markers. Sometimes though in Physical when asked to describe a landform I skip the conclusion. Mainly because there's nothing to say except "and that's a river. "

(If you ever want me to check one you've written or anything feel free to reply or send me it, though I obviously know nothing about energy issues or coasts :smile:)
good luck :smile:

Hi! Do you have any high level 2/ level 3 examples on 15 mark questions on Health Issues, population or rivers? It will help me out a lot! Thanks! :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Jaydude
How do you revise? Revision cards? Past papers? Revise through exercise book? I'm trying to make revision cards for case study facts only, but the amount of time it takes...

Yeah, I do case study cards personally... I've done health and glaciation ones when I was revising for a mock for Christmas but Population and Rivers I've got nada. If I run out of time I just rip up rough bits of paper and write maybe one stat on each... It really saves time when I haven't got much of it :smile: though I do find random stats about the population of Qatar in weird places like in my sink and under my pillow :s
Reply 16
Original post by Dazed.
I make revision posters and cards but it really does take so long! I'm doing rivers, coasts, population and energy plus I have another exam the same day...why exam boards why do you not talk to each other :'( Anyone else found that the way they write the physical 15markers and the human ones are completely different? It might just be that I have different teachers for the different sides though...good luck everyone! :smile:

Same, I've got a history exam in the morning, it's going to be a fun day...

Ive always found human 15 markers easier than physical ones for some reason (unless the physical topic is broadly a human one like flooding :s). It's hard to structure them sometimes. You can't really introduce a river meander.
Reply 17
Original post by NewCeremony
How do you guys actually revise? Is it just note-making or do you make revision cards and mind maps etc? I'd like to hear how others are approaching it, the amount of things we need to know and I haven't gone back over yet seems daunting. I make notes from the text book and revision guide but it takes me about an hour to condense a double page down, which is too slow for my liking :frown: any tips?

I have found however that making quizzes on www.quizlet.com is particularly effective for refreshing your memory on key points for case studies :smile:

i'm currently doing A2 - i got 122/140 (A) in Unit 1 - when i revised, all i did was read the textbook, underline and make a few notes inside of it. I found this very helpful; i find that making notes for me personally is just a waste of time, and i tend to get bored lol!

i'd suggest purchasing the CGP revision guide as it's really helpful for case studies and it lays them out in a very helpful manner by having different headings for causes, impacts etc and it tends to divide the impacts into human, physical, social and economic.
Reply 18
Original post by NaomiASuts
Same, I've got a history exam in the morning, it's going to be a fun day...

Ive always found human 15 markers easier than physical ones for some reason (unless the physical topic is broadly a human one like flooding :s). It's hard to structure them sometimes. You can't really introduce a river meander.

I'm the same, and most people in my class hate the human essays. I don't mind them but I think the worst part is the time. How can you write a really good essay in 15 minutes? To me it seems impossible and I always hate the essays I give to my teacher. Is your history exam the sources one? There's only two people in my year that do both subjects. I'm concerned about the 13th too, how are you going to prioritise on that day, any ideas?
Reply 19
Original post by Jaydude
Hi! Do you have any high level 2/ level 3 examples on 15 mark questions on Health Issues, population or rivers? It will help me out a lot! Thanks! :smile:

Ill scan one in as soon as I can, my scanner can be temperamental. :/

Quick Reply