The Student Room Group

AQA Geography Unit 1 May 14th 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CurtisDean
Oh my gosh! I just can't deal with rejuvenation!

Could someone outline the process/cause of rejuvenation please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It really isn't that bad. Rejuvenation is when there is a change in the level of the cross profile e.g a knickpoint causing a drop which leads to increase in erosion this can also be how waterfalls are formed. Velocity increases so more vertical erosion. River terraces and incised meanders are formed too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Rejuvenation = An increase in the energy of a river caused by a fall in its base level which gives the river greater potential energy, increasing its capacity to erode.
Knick Points:
These are a sharp change in gradient along the long profile of a river. Adjustment to the base level starts at the sea and gradually works it way up the rivers course. It is where the old long profile meets the new long profile.

River Terraces:
These are the remnants of a former floodplain which has been left at a higher level as the river has eroded to deeply to access it. They are indicative of rapid down cutting. The floodplains may be paired.

Incised Meanders:
There are two types entrenched and ingrown. Entrenched is when the cross profile is symmetrical and ingrown when the cross profile is asymmetrical. They both result from an increase in the rates of vertical erosion, it is more rapid with entrenched meanders and slower with ingrown meanders. E.g. Durham is built inside an entrenched meander.
Original post by lucasluke
Rejuvenation = An increase in the energy of a river caused by a fall in its base level which gives the river greater potential energy, increasing its capacity to erode.
Knick Points:
These are a sharp change in gradient along the long profile of a river. Adjustment to the base level starts at the sea and gradually works it way up the rivers course. It is where the old long profile meets the new long profile.

River Terraces:
These are the remnants of a former floodplain which has been left at a higher level as the river has eroded to deeply to access it. They are indicative of rapid down cutting. The floodplains may be paired.

Incised Meanders:
There are two types entrenched and ingrown. Entrenched is when the cross profile is symmetrical and ingrown when the cross profile is asymmetrical. They both result from an increase in the rates of vertical erosion, it is more rapid with entrenched meanders and slower with ingrown meanders. E.g. Durham is built inside an entrenched meander.

Bro we need to get to bed or we won't be able to remember shiiiiiit in the morning haha.

This is what revising too late has done to my (lack of) sleep schedule.
Reply 583
It's my birthday today!! And I'm gonna have do geo!! How boring!! My birthdays always during exam season:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fs1205
It's my birthday today!! And I'm gonna have do geo!! How boring!! My birthdays always during exam season:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'll be fine next year- a2 exams start in June :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone got the mark scheme for the Jan 2013 paper by any chance?
Reply 586
Original post by Vitzy
Thank you for the advice! It will depend on the questions for me. If I don't feel confident with a 15 marker I'll probably leave it till the end. I also think I'll do human geography before physical geography because I feel more confident with that.

The bullet point idea sounds great! Are you sure I won't be marked down for quality of written communication?

And nope, Law exam. :cry:

I'm doing human before physical as well. There's so much more to remember for human!

I'm not 100% sure, but for the 3/4/5 markers I don't think they do mark you on your quality of written communication.

Ouch, I've got history :frown: such a huge amount to remember :eek:
Reply 587
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1368348240.471947.jpg just had to post that!! A lot of my teachers do that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 588
Anyone got any statistics for the birth and death rates of different countries in each stage of the DTM for present day? e.g. Stage 1 Amazon rainforest tribes etc?
Cannot find these anywhere and apparently we need them??

Posted from TSR Mobile

rejuvination is when there is a change in the base level of a channel- which creates a step or a knick point. this gives the water more energy- so a period of renewed erosion occurs. This is because the river is trying to create a smooth long profile which is the most efficient way for it to transport its load.
The main cause is when a river 'cuts back' or erodes into another river channel- which means there is a difference in height between the two.

You can also get insised meanders- which are caused by vertical/lateral erosion and river terraces. river terraces are also caused by vertical erosion- which leaves them higher up than previously
hope this helps :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Dazed.
Anyone got any statistics for the birth and death rates of different countries in each stage of the DTM for present day? e.g. Stage 1 Amazon rainforest tribes etc?
Cannot find these anywhere and apparently we need them??

Stage 2 could be Africa stage 3 Thailand stage 4 UK and stage 5 Japan or Italy
Reply 591
Any predictions for the 15 marker for deserts & health??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 592
Past paper day todayImageUploadedByStudent Room1368353436.763868.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 593
Quality of written communication is imporant for all of the questions!!! Only bullet point if you run out of time!!
Reply 594
Is anyone doing rivers, coast, population and health? What do you guys think will come up? :smile:
Reply 595
For a question that requires you to use a case study,how would you start the question? Would you say... The case study I am going to use is blah blahhh blahh.....?
Reply 596
URGENT: Do we need a case study for regional variations?
is anyone else doing skills on the 22nd? Or the 21st? One of the two:tongue:
Original post by nabeel
URGENT: Do we need a case study for regional variations?

The spec. says:
Regional variations in health and morbidity in the UK.

Factors affecting regional variations in health and
morbidity age structure, income and occupation
type, education, environment and pollution.

so I don't think you need a case study, but you do need to know how health varies in the UK, how the south is healthier than the north
Anyone got a sneaky feeling sand dunes may come up for coasts?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending