The Student Room Group

How fast does the human brain recognise object?

Does anyone know how fast the human brain recognises objects?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Um.. I guess it depends on the human whose brain it is, and if you've taken any drugs that effect thought process. I'd say it must be in the millisecond range though :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by edithwashere
Um.. I guess it depends on the human whose brain it is, and if you've taken any drugs that effect thought process. I'd say it must be in the millisecond range though :smile:

Would you say when you look at an object you instantly know what it is, or do you ever see something and have a second thought to what it might be?
Reply 3
Original post by advice_guru
Would you say when you look at an object you instantly know what it is, or do you ever see something and have a second thought to what it might be?

Well I personally am an anomaly, since I suffer a myriad of mental health problems some of which give me audio and visual hallucinations, which are not made better by recreational drug use. Sometimes I see things which don't exist, so I always have to stop and think just in case it's not real.

If it's a familiar object like a table or chair, I'd say I know instantaneously, but an abstract art sculpture would probably floor me for a good few seconds.

Is this for a project of some sort or are you just curious? I love learning about the brain, it's so mysterious and weird :smile:
Reply 4
Well I personally am an anomaly, since I suffer a myriad of mental health problems some of which give me audio and visual hallucinations, which are not made better by recreational drug use. Sometimes I see things which don't exist, so I always have to stop and think just in case it's not real.

If it's a familiar object like a table or chair, I'd say I know instantaneously, but an abstract art sculpture would probably floor me for a good few seconds.

Is this for a project of some sort or are you just curious? I love learning about the brain, it's so mysterious and weird :smile:

Does anything go through your head at the point of recognition when you see a familiar object and you recognise it ?

I'm just doing some research for my thesis really.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Does anything go through your head at the point of recognition when you see a familiar object and you recognise it ?

I'm just doing some research for my thesis really.

I don't think so, it's a subconscious recognition really isn't it, I'd say most people are so used to seeing familiar objects day in day out that they don't even acknowledge them with conscious thought - I don't think "oh look, a table" every time I see a table, but I know it is there and I recognise it instantly for what it is... it's hard to break down the thought process really
Reply 6
I don't think so, it's a subconscious recognition really isn't it, I'd say most people are so used to seeing familiar objects day in day out that they don't even acknowledge them with conscious thought - I don't think "oh look, a table" every time I see a table, but I know it is there and I recognise it instantly for what it is... it's hard to break down the thought process really

I see, so what would happen in your mind exactly when you for example see a table and recognise it.

I know for a fact the object is isolated from its surroundings, basically you focus in on the table and everything else becomes peripheral vision. But then what happens?
Reply 7
I see, so what would happen in your mind exactly when you for example see a table and recognise it.

I know for a fact the object is isolated from its surroundings, basically you focus in on the table and everything else becomes peripheral vision. But then what happens?

:confused: Your guess is as good as mine, I don't know too much about neurology, sorry. What if I was looking at something ON the table, I'd still see the table and know it was there, but I wouldn't be focusing on it in the slightest...
Reply 8
:confused: Your guess is as good as mine, I don't know too much about neurology, sorry. What if I was looking at something ON the table, I'd still see the table and know it was there, but I wouldn't be focusing on it in the slightest...

Yeah but if you were looking at something on the table, your focus would be on that object and not the table. The table would essentially be in a sort of peripheral vision.

For me recognition is like this, I look in the direction of the object, my brain will then focus on the object itself ( so everything around it becomes peripheral vision) and then I recognise it. I just wanted to see how it was for other people, or if anything was different?
Reply 9

If you could tell me exactly how you recognise a table I would be so so grateful for my thesis.
If you could tell me exactly how you recognise a table I would be so so grateful for my thesis.

:confused: I don't know what you want me to say, I don't know how I recognise a table, I guess I already have prior knowledge of what a table is, so I see one in my focused or peripheral vision, subconsciously acknowledge and recognise it, and so know that it is a table?

It all happens in the blink of an eye and it's an unconscious thought process, so I can't really break it down much further, I'm sorry :frown:
Reply 11
:confused: I don't know what you want me to say, I don't know how I recognise a table, I guess I already have prior knowledge of what a table is, so I see one in my focused or peripheral vision, subconsciously acknowledge and recognise it, and so know that it is a table?

It all happens in the blink of an eye and it's an unconscious thought process, so I can't really break it down much further, I'm sorry :frown:

Ok, thank you

Can you identify anything occurring consciously in your head when you are recognising a table, or is everything subconscious?
Ok, thank you

Can you identify anything occurring consciously in your head when you are recognising a table, or is everything subconscious?

Unless I consciously think, "oh, there's a table", like if I'm looking for my ipod and remember it's on the table or something, then I'd say it's all subconscious. Again this is with familiar items - anything unusual, like say a carved wood table that caught my attention, would probably result in a conscious thought because I'd be interested in the object.
Reply 13
I've just read the posts on this thread so far and I've been trying to come up with my own response xD my only problem is that I'm looking around my room and all the objects here are very familiar to me so recognition is immediate... Not only because of the memory of them being in certain places in my room but also the schema of each object so it's really though to say... I guess if I came into my room and everything was rearranged, taped to the ceiling and painted purple I'd have to think about it for much longer, both subconsciously (recognising the objects) and consciously (why and who the hell did this?) - but all that seems obvious to me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Orenjichan
I've just read the posts on this thread so far and I've been trying to come up with my own response xD my only problem is that I'm looking around my room and all the objects here are very familiar to me so recognition is immediate... Not only because of the memory of them being in certain places in my room but also the schema of each object so it's really though to say... I guess if I came into my room and everything was rearranged, taped to the ceiling and painted purple I'd have to think about it for much longer, both subconsciously (recognising the objects) and consciously (why and who the hell did this?) - but all that seems obvious to me

Posted from TSR Mobile

everything was rearranged, taped to the ceiling and painted purple

Haha, that would be an awesome prank to play on someone. :P
Reply 15
everything was rearranged, taped to the ceiling and painted purple

Haha, that would be an awesome prank to play on someone. :P

Could do that with the pretence of it being an experiment :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its definitely in the millisecond range, exact figure should depend on who's brain were talking about and what object. Regarding the process, I studied this two years ago and its something along these lines:

For example, table recognition

You see the table

Divide the table by its components, so the top surface then four legs

Compare these components to your schemas of different objects

It matches best with a table

You recognise it as a table

Though this process seems rather long, its so fast we don't realise it, and more, its unconscious!

Check out Agnosia, a disorder in which people have difficulties recognising objects and faces, though they can see everything perfectly. Thought to be related to broken link between the above points 2 and 3, hence though people could see, they cannot relate what they see, to what they know already.

Hope this helps, good luck with your Thesis.:cool:
Reply 17
Original post by onlypsychology
Its definitely in the millisecond range, exact figure should depend on who's brain were talking about and what object. Regarding the process, I studied this two years ago and its something along these lines:

For example, table recognition

You see the table

Divide the table by its components, so the top surface then four legs

Compare these components to your schemas of different objects

It matches best with a table

You recognise it as a table

Though this process seems rather long, its so fast we don't realise it, and more, its unconscious!

Check out Agnosia, a disorder in which people have difficulties recognising objects and faces, though they can see everything perfectly. Thought to be related to broken link between the above points 2 and 3, hence though people could see, they cannot relate what they see, to what they know already.

Hope this helps, good luck with your Thesis.:cool:

I see, so is there any conscious part to the recognition process or is it all unconscious completely.

Oh and a THANK YOU for that post as well.
(edited 11 years ago)
I see, so is there any conscious part to the recognition process or is it all unconscious completely.

Oh and a THANK YOU for that post as well.

I think it depends on how you define conscious and unconscious. Considering that all of these processes happen without effort, without having to think let me compare this object to my existing schemas, I'm guessing its mainly, if not completely, unconscious.
Reply 19
Original post by onlypsychology
I think it depends on how you define conscious and unconscious. Considering that all of these processes happen without effort, without having to think let me compare this object to my existing schemas, I'm guessing its mainly, if not completely, unconscious.

I found this on the internet....

"One model of object recognition, based on neuropsychological evidence, provides information that allows us to divide the process into four different stages.[2][3][4]
Stage 1 Processing of basic object components, such as colour, depth, and form.
Stage 2 These basic components are then grouped on the basis of similarity, providing information on distinct edges to the visual form. Subsequently, figure-ground segregation is able to take place.
Stage 3 The visual representation is matched with structural descriptions in memory.
Stage 4 Semantic attributes are applied to the visual representation, providing meaning, and thereby recognition."

What does Stage 4 mean?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending