The Student Room Group

Help - GCSEs

Just got my gcse mock back - I got 7s in sciences and maths. Does anyone know the best revision methods for getting 9s? Especially for sciences edexcel igcse exam board.
To be fair, it depends on the individual!
From my experience:

Sciences - Making personal notes/rewriting a whole textbook summarised with key points required to learn (not just random info). That way, essential information sticks to your brain as you mind-map each unique idea through font and style on paper. If you want to make things stand out in your notes to remember some key points, try drawing diagrams to add to your notes. That way, you are able to recognise the section of info you've summarised - make it stand out!

English - Practice papers - Moreover, warm up with writing until you're comfortable with writing at a fast pace. (A fun thing I find which helps expand my vocabulary is by watching Netflix shows!)

Maths - Honestly, I don't think you can really 'revise' maths - so instead, make sure you understand all the concepts and correlations in the curriculum.

Remember, this is my way of studying to get 9s for each subject; Additionally, each person has their own style of revision - so I advise you try different revision strategies and find one which works best for you!
Good luck with the revision!
Reply 2
Original post by jelllyfiiish
To be fair, it depends on the individual!
From my experience:

Sciences - Making personal notes/rewriting a whole textbook summarised with key points required to learn (not just random info). That way, essential information sticks to your brain as you mind-map each unique idea through font and style on paper. If you want to make things stand out in your notes to remember some key points, try drawing diagrams to add to your notes. That way, you are able to recognise the section of info you've summarised - make it stand out!

English - Practice papers - Moreover, warm up with writing until you're comfortable with writing at a fast pace. (A fun thing I find which helps expand my vocabulary is by watching Netflix shows!)

Maths - Honestly, I don't think you can really 'revise' maths - so instead, make sure you understand all the concepts and correlations in the curriculum.

Remember, this is my way of studying to get 9s for each subject; Additionally, each person has their own style of revision - so I advise you try different revision strategies and find one which works best for you!
Good luck with the revision!

Thanks
Original post by ua12345
Just got my gcse mock back - I got 7s in sciences and maths. Does anyone know the best revision methods for getting 9s? Especially for sciences edexcel igcse exam board.

Hi @ua12345,

In terms of sciences, I followed a rigorous routine that worked exceptionally well for me. Post-mocks I tried to identify the topics I needed further clarification on and tackled those first. I also worked alongside my specification points and treated it almost as a checklist of topics I've covered and have yet to cover.

I found the specification to be super useful because it told me exactly what I needed to know for your exam. Which diagrams, what definitions, any processes and mechanisms were all stated in the spec points. My goal per day was to cover all the bullet points under one topic per subject.

I would revise the topic with my textbook, or online resources and use them to refine any notes I've made prior. After going through my notes, I would do the blurting method. You can read up more on blurting here if you're unfamiliar: https://bit.ly/3uCzvZl. I would repeat this a few times until I had engrained it in my mind, and for any points, or processes I found particularly difficult to drill down- I would jot it down a flashcard and look back at it the next day (I found that this was especially helpful for biology). Finally, with the content for the topic I had just revised, I would put it into practice by attempting topical questions. Topical questions (or past papers in general) was the most useful revision technique throughout all my subjects as I found that it made me more familiar with the layout, format and type of questions I would expect in my final exams. This helped me prepare a lot for them.

I hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep
Reply 4
Original post by BCU Student Rep

Hi @ua12345,

In terms of sciences, I followed a rigorous routine that worked exceptionally well for me. Post-mocks I tried to identify the topics I needed further clarification on and tackled those first. I also worked alongside my specification points and treated it almost as a checklist of topics I've covered and have yet to cover.

I found the specification to be super useful because it told me exactly what I needed to know for your exam. Which diagrams, what definitions, any processes and mechanisms were all stated in the spec points. My goal per day was to cover all the bullet points under one topic per subject.

I would revise the topic with my textbook, or online resources and use them to refine any notes I've made prior. After going through my notes, I would do the blurting method. You can read up more on blurting here if you're unfamiliar: https://bit.ly/3uCzvZl. I would repeat this a few times until I had engrained it in my mind, and for any points, or processes I found particularly difficult to drill down- I would jot it down a flashcard and look back at it the next day (I found that this was especially helpful for biology). Finally, with the content for the topic I had just revised, I would put it into practice by attempting topical questions. Topical questions (or past papers in general) was the most useful revision technique throughout all my subjects as I found that it made me more familiar with the layout, format and type of questions I would expect in my final exams. This helped me prepare a lot for them.

I hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest