The Student Room Group

Biomedical science and medicine dilemma

Hi, I recently realised I am more driven to study Medicine than Biomedical Science. Even though the course content of Biomed looks extremely interesting, I am worried that I will not be satisfied with my career after completing my Bachelor's degree. I am currently an A-level student and have received all my offers for Biomedical Science. When attending all the open days, I realised that I was mostly interested in finding out how to get into Medicine after or throughout the degree. Therefore, I would really like some advice as to what I should do - whether I should do Medicine after the 3 year course or defer my application and attempt to re-apply this year? Or is it completely pointless now as it may be too late to get some work experience during the few months I have left? If anyone is in a similar situation or has been, please post some advice or ideas. Thank you!
If medicine is where your heart is at then I say go for it.
As long as you can get the grades, work exp, write a cracking PS as well getting strong scores in the UKCAT and/or BMAT you'll be fine.

At the end of the day, you don't want to regret doing a degree for the sake of it when your heart is elsewhere.
Have a good think about it, carry out some work experience, do some more research about medicine and if you think it's truly for you then go for it.

Whatever you end up doing I wish you the best of luck with it and hope it works out! :smile:
i was in same position, however a lot comes down to finance and experience!

i decided to complete my degree (iwas in my 1st year) and focus on gaining experiance during that time which helped massively - im now holding an offer for medicine at Leeds!

i felt that being a graduate gave me an advantage in interviewing, however it is more costly and the course i did in college would not permit direct access to medicine at 18 - that said i felt far more confident having already done a high workload degree and also traveled abroad as part of it

that said, dont feel you have to do biomedical science - plenty of students straight from school make just as good candidates from graduate or mature backgrounds.

also, if you need more time dont be afraid to take a gap year - admissions teams look favourably upon applicants who use a year out wisely!

hope that helps, but feel free to ask more :smile:

ps maybe try asking people who have applied to medicine before and after a degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can't defer your entry and apply for medicine, you have to withdraw altogether and apply again.

I was in the same situation, I had offers for biomed after my A levels, I decided to withdraw and apply for medicine - didn't get in though, so I did biomed and I've applied for medicine this year and have an offer to start in September (grades pending).

I am glad I did a degree before, I've learnt so much it's incredible - it'll make me a much better doctor in the long run. However, if you get the grades and make sure you get experience/a good PS, I would say to take a gap year and try for it. Read through the medicine forum here, it's got soo much useful info about your application.

Good luck though, and let me know if you have any other questions!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending