The Student Room Group

Should shops be allowed to open on Christmas Day?

Your thoughts on whether shops should remain closed on Christmas Day

Scroll to see replies

Tough one. Part of me is screaming yes, shops should be allowed to open whenever they want whereas the romanticist in me says no way Jose.
I wonder what would happen if A&E was closed on Xmas day.
My local corner shop is open on Christmas day (only for a few hours though).
Why shouldn't they?
Reply 4
No. Are we seriously unable to function with shops closed for one day a year?
No. We can be shut for a couple of days a year. We wont die. I think it should be closed on Easter and NY too.
I did find it quite difficult when Sainsbury's was closed today...
Reply 7
I guess if the shop workers don't celebrate Christmas then it's down to them. If the shop I worked in asked me to work Christmas day, they'd get a four letter response

wtf is with the character limit on the quick reply, buuuullpoooo
Reply 8
Yes, why should they be forced to close? Other businesses, such as those in hospitality, stay open all year round.
Reply 9
The current rule based on size is silly. Either all shops should be allowed to open, or not. Not just small ones being allowed to open.
Reply 10
Original post by Juno
The current rule based on size is silly. Either all shops should be allowed to open, or not. Not just small ones being allowed to open.

I think the size thing is because the larger shops would have more employees rather than being a family business, so there's less chance of people 'having' to work type thing
Reply 11
Original post by Skip_Snip
I think the size thing is because the larger shops would have more employees rather than being a family business, so there's less chance of people 'having' to work type thing

No, it's for the protection of small business. People don't come into it.

Anyway, Families are more likely to have to work as there's nobody else to run the shop!
I think it is nice they are closed for a day. But people go crazy when the shops are shut for one day sooo from an ex supermarket worker thats bad but I wouldnt have wanted to work it either!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
It depends on a shop, e.g. all those Zara, Topshop etc could be closed but some supermarkets could be open for few hours just in case if people run out of something.
Reply 14
Maybe a corner shop if you run out of food. Rest should be closed :P Come on give people a break! :biggrin:
sunday trading laws and the ilk are hindering the economy IMO [snip]
(edited 11 years ago)
Should be their choice imo.
"Why should they open?" is the question. You justify them opening on that day.
Yes, not everybody celebrates Christmas.
If they don't celebrate christian holidays, then yes they should be able to stay open on Christmas day, same way that shops should be able to shut on a religious hoilday if they are of that religion

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending