The Student Room Group

Should I move to a university that is far away?

I’m more concerned about how I will be able to get an earning/job from a place I’ve never been to before, I want to move and live on campus since it makes me feel more adventurous to try new things but the only thing that is stopping me is my concern about getting a job. I’ve been looking online for jobs but knowing that I will be unable to start until roughly august 2024 makes me less to be chosen as an applicant
Original post by Kimmkimmsaidhii
I’m more concerned about how I will be able to get an earning/job from a place I’ve never been to before, I want to move and live on campus since it makes me feel more adventurous to try new things but the only thing that is stopping me is my concern about getting a job. I’ve been looking online for jobs but knowing that I will be unable to start until roughly august 2024 makes me less to be chosen as an applicant

Hi @Kimmkimmsaidhii,

Obviously you clearly want to move away for university and the job situation is your issue.
So my advice would be have a look on the university/universities website and see if you can find any information about careers there.

For example, with Edge Hill it mentions jobs that are available on campus to students and these usually become available around September and October and are great for students who are living on campus these include helping out on open days and this could be showing people round, allowing someone to see your room or helping out for your course department. Others include helping at the vendors there as well such as Mcolls or Subway.

Another tip would be go to the open days and ask the current students who show you around maybe about the job opportunities within the town or city that the university is or if the university has any jobs available and when you can become aware of those. Also, whilst on an open-day you could walk round the town/city and see what places are around such as shops, pubs and restaurants which if you have experience in any of these may come in useful.

However, if you don't wish to wait till an open day you could see if there is an area on the website to ask any current students questions for example with Edge Hill there is The Ambassador Platform which if you were coming to Edge Hill you could then have your question answered.

Lastly, the careers team will likely also be really useful if you are struggling to get a job as they can help with many things such as looking through your CV and giving any tips on improving this or doing mock interviews to help provide you with the appropriate answers and some confidence.

I hope this all helped, let me know if you have any other questions! :smile:

Rebecca
2nd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student
Original post by EdgeHillStudents
Hi @Kimmkimmsaidhii,

Obviously you clearly want to move away for university and the job situation is your issue.
So my advice would be have a look on the university/universities website and see if you can find any information about careers there.

For example, with Edge Hill it mentions jobs that are available on campus to students and these usually become available around September and October and are great for students who are living on campus these include helping out on open days and this could be showing people round, allowing someone to see your room or helping out for your course department. Others include helping at the vendors there as well such as Mcolls or Subway.

Another tip would be go to the open days and ask the current students who show you around maybe about the job opportunities within the town or city that the university is or if the university has any jobs available and when you can become aware of those. Also, whilst on an open-day you could walk round the town/city and see what places are around such as shops, pubs and restaurants which if you have experience in any of these may come in useful.

However, if you don't wish to wait till an open day you could see if there is an area on the website to ask any current students questions for example with Edge Hill there is The Ambassador Platform which if you were coming to Edge Hill you could then have your question answered.

Lastly, the careers team will likely also be really useful if you are struggling to get a job as they can help with many things such as looking through your CV and giving any tips on improving this or doing mock interviews to help provide you with the appropriate answers and some confidence.

I hope this all helped, let me know if you have any other questions! :smile:

Rebecca

What if I do want to go to the open days but the university is too far? Such as 4-6 hours away from where I live? Should I go for it?
Original post by Kimmkimmsaidhii
What if I do want to go to the open days but the university is too far? Such as 4-6 hours away from where I live? Should I go for it?

I think unless you believe you can get all the information online such as tours of the uni and accommodation plus all the information for your course for example. Then I would suggest going as that could also help with making sure you actually want to go to that university and get the answers to all of your questions. For example I visited a different uni before Edge Hill and realised it was not for me and was going to apply for there so I do think open days are important and extremely useful.

But if you know what uni it is you want to go to and they have an account on The Student Room maybe put any questions you have in there forum bit and hopefully the response will be useful and maybe you can decide from there if you want to go to an open day or not. As I am sure there are lots of days available so if you change your mind and want to go you still can.

Hope that helps! If there is anything else you wish to ask let me know.

Rebecca

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending