The Student Room Group

Part time employment at local shops

I’ve just started year 12 and really want to get a job but I’m struggling to find anything. I would love to work somewhere local and independent where it’s a (slightly lol) more casual relationship since I’ve lived here my whole life and know a lot of the businesses and their owners. I don’t know how to word my emails though, how formal should I be because I’m only 16 and I want them to know that I can only do outside of sixthform hours - how do I communicate that to them in the emails I’m sending out and how should I ask about vacancies? (I would like to work at cafes or little shops preferably) They all want permanent employment :/
It's often quite difficult to get hired somewhere independent and local. I've found from experience that they tend to hire friends of friends etc, my best advise would be to actually visit in person, give them your cv and ask them to keep you in mind for any vacancies.

In any case, I know lots of retail chains will start hiring soon for Christmas temps
Reply 2
Original post by aphroditess
It's often quite difficult to get hired somewhere independent and local. I've found from experience that they tend to hire friends of friends etc, my best advise would be to actually visit in person, give them your cv and ask them to keep you in mind for any vacancies.

In any case, I know lots of retail chains will start hiring soon for Christmas temps

I’ll give it a go! It’s just so hard to pluck up the courage and do it in person, when I go in there who should I ask about it and give it to? Also is there a best time of day to do it?
Original post by millieel
I’ll give it a go! It’s just so hard to pluck up the courage and do it in person, when I go in there who should I ask about it and give it to? Also is there a best time of day to do it?

I found a better response if I went just as they open, they're usually less busy and more inclined to listen! Ask if there is a manager present, if not, ask if you can leave your cv with a member of staff to give to the manager.
Original post by millieel
I’ve just started year 12 and really want to get a job but I’m struggling to find anything. I would love to work somewhere local and independent where it’s a (slightly lol) more casual relationship since I’ve lived here my whole life and know a lot of the businesses and their owners. I don’t know how to word my emails though, how formal should I be because I’m only 16 and I want them to know that I can only do outside of sixthform hours - how do I communicate that to them in the emails I’m sending out and how should I ask about vacancies? (I would like to work at cafes or little shops preferably) They all want permanent employment :/

You could go in and hand in your CV.
You could also keep an eye out in shop windows, because some smaller places have vacancies in there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending