The Student Room Group

ENGB3 AQA 3rd June 2013

I thought I'd create a new thread as I can't seem to find a current, most recent one. Is anyone else doing this A2 exam in the summer, specification B?
If so, feel free to post revision tips and discuss problems etc
How is revision getting on?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jade10128
I thought I'd create a new thread as I can't seem to find a current, most recent one. Is anyone else doing this A2 exam in the summer, specification B?
If so, feel free to post revision tips and discuss problems etc
How is revision getting on?

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I have this exam! I got 179/200 on the AS. I really prefer language change to acquisition!
Hi, I have this exam. I'm using all of my class notes, the NT Textbook and the CGP A2 book to revise. I'm not very good at Maths so was won ring if anyone who is good at Maths could tell me if I have a realistic chance of getting an A overall. I got 170 for the AS (I haven't had my Coursework marks back yet, but im predicted around about 58-68)

Thanks for any help, I'll post some revision tips up soon!
Reply 3
Original post by Oxford-Hopeful
Hi, I have this exam. I'm using all of my class notes, the NT Textbook and the CGP A2 book to revise. I'm not very good at Maths so was won ring if anyone who is good at Maths could tell me if I have a realistic chance of getting an A overall. I got 170 for the AS (I haven't had my Coursework marks back yet, but im predicted around about 58-68)

Sorry mate, with those results you will be Very lucky to scrape a B overall, even to do that you'd have to get pretty much full marks in the exam. The best you can realistically hope for is a C.
Reply 4
Original post by Historian123
Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I have this exam! I got 179/200 on the AS. I really prefer language change to acquisition!

Agreed, change is soooo much more interesting than acquisition, my whole class hates acquisition but loves change. Doesn't help we have an awful teacher for acquisition too...
Original post by JDMUFC
Sorry mate, with those results you will be Very lucky to scrape a B overall, even to do that you'd have to get pretty much full marks in the exam. The best you can realistically hope for is a C.

So what would I need to get out of 120 for this?
I love acquisition! Language change doesn't really grab me, but then again, I don't think we get to go into enough detail.

How is everyone revising for this exam? :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by JDMUFC

So ae you saying that an A is completely out of the question for me? Should I retake something?
Anyone?
(edited 11 years ago)
Hęlłō!
Reply 10
Original post by Oxford-Hopeful

Original post by JDMUFC

How did you work that out? 170/200 is a solid A grade, added to coursework at a mid B to low A level means that the original poster has a good chance of getting an A. For example, worst case scenario of 58 on A2 coursework would mean the poster needs 92 on the A2 exam (a high B). So I'm really confused as to how you arrived at those figures?

(Source: http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA_W_2705_GS.PDF)
Reply 11
Original post by Historian123

I got 117/120 UMS but I honestly came out of the exam feeling as though I flopped it. Looking back now, I'd much rather have the AS exam compared to A2 exam! I'm the opposite! I feel there is much more structure to acquisition, language change seems to all about context..stressing me outt. Practice papers seem to be the way forward on language change - very helpful so far
Reply 12
Original post by Anna.Karenina
I love acquisition! Language change doesn't really grab me, but then again, I don't think we get to go into enough detail.

How is everyone revising for this exam? :smile:

I've been typing up notes, re-reading class notes/writing notes, making terminology lists. I think one of the best practices for this exam is past papers to be honest! Even if you don't write up the essays, making scribbly notes all over the papers seem to test my knowledge.
Reply 13
I got an A

Reply 14
From the way I have been taught acquisition I feel like we are doing child psychology rather than studying language. Acquisition is so dreary it has prompted me to change my University application from English Language to History. I don't ever want to have to study it again.
Reply 15
Original post by Francis W
From the way I have been taught acquisition I feel like we are doing child psychology rather than studying language. Acquisition is so dreary it has prompted me to change my University application from English Language to History. I don't ever want to have to study it again.

Ah I'm the opposite! I love acquisition! Language change is a bore to me :/ And I have no idea how to structure the question in the exam...
Reply 16
Any got an any tips of structure, I sat this paper in Jan and got an E and although I don't know all the content admittedly I know enough to warrant a better grade than an E. I just panic when I see the sources and never know where to start? any advice?
Reply 17
Original post by Jade10128
Ah I'm the opposite! I love acquisition! Language change is a bore to me :/ And I have no idea how to structure the question in the exam...

I was told to structure it by looking at AO2 elements (theories/concepts) and then linking that to AO3 (context etc.) and AO1 but even that's pretty laborious and mind numbing. As it's a synoptic course, you can confuse yourself in the exam even more by talking about gender and power too. It's really a pretty miserable A2 course.
Reply 18
Original post by Francis W
I was told to structure it by looking at AO2 elements (theories/concepts) and then linking that to AO3 (context etc.) and AO1 but even that's pretty laborious and mind numbing. As it's a synoptic course, you can confuse yourself in the exam even more by talking about gender and power too. It's really a pretty miserable A2 course.

Ah ok! Makes sense - thanks. yeah its not as content heavy as my other subjects but its just difficult to structure the essay and revise for it. I think the top marks are based on the structure of your essay.
Reply 19
Has anyone seen any model answers around the net for this?

I got an A in Jan (97/120) but need an A* for my Uni firm choice -.-

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending