The Student Room Group

How long do Advanced Higher Investigations take?

How long did it take you, on average, to do your Advanced Higher investigations? Whether it be Bio, Chem or Physics but I'm mainly considering Physics. Can a lot of the work be done at home? Is it really just the write-up that takes a while? Can the actual implementation of the investigation be done quite quickly or does it have to be done more than once?

Also, in Physics, do the NABS contain any practical work that needs to be done?
Reply 1
Original post by Defensive Gnome
How long did it take you, on average, to do your Advanced Higher investigations? Whether it be Bio, Chem or Physics but I'm mainly considering Physics. Can a lot of the work be done at home? Is it really just the write-up that takes a while? Can the actual implementation of the investigation be done quite quickly or does it have to be done more than once?

Also, in Physics, do the NABS contain any practical work that needs to be done?

I'm doing chemistry, i started practicals in november and finished at the end of march. You could do it in a week though, i just faffed about a lot and didn't do any for about 2 months in between. Write up took me about a week at 2300 words. I'd say i did most of mine in school, obviously you can't do experiments at home but you can do your write up at home. You should perform duplicates in your experiments but you could make it up if you cant be bothered, they're not going to know. Don't know about physics but in chemistry half of the 1st nab is your investigation daybook and the other half is a PPA write up. (i think so anyway)
I've still not finished my physics investigation. Just to write the last report up.

But I wouldn't underestimate the time consumption. Obviously it depends on the investigation but I'd say you should be looking at 10-15 hrs practical work and maybe a full 3 hours per experiment on write up. The investigation has to contain a lot of uncertainties for even the littlest things and can be time consuming. Like getting graphs and the uncertainties in this can be time consuming if you're doing it by hand.

I started mines in December and finished the first 2 experiments by mid Jan and well totally under estimated the last two experiments but I've now got it under control. There is an option to go to Stathclyde or Glasgow Uni to do one of your experiment with good equipment and you could get this done within an afternoon (practical work). You should look into this.

The investigation is 1/2 of a unit. But unlike chemistry, the other half is just a half unit of theory. This half unit is Wave Phenomena and this includes Doppler Effect, Division of Amplitude (interference) and division of wavefront. LOTS OF DERIVATIONS!

The other two units are Mechanics which includes equation of motion, gravitation, central force and a bit of quantum mechanics. And Electrical Phenomena which has a lot of electromagnetism and electronics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending