The Student Room Group

Edexcel M2/M3 June 6th/10th 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MAD Phil
They have appeared now. I've done the UK one (see below). I'm just starting the international one.

For the UK one, I think I agree with Idknow on everything except 7(c), where you needed to get the answers in terms of a, g and t only.

It got pretty tough towards the end, didn't it?

EDIT: Thanks for people's corrections. I've altered my answers as needed by corrections as notified by about 1 p.m., today, Wednesday the 12th.

EDIT, 31 July: I've now added versions checked against the official markschemes. The only difference in the M3R paper is correcting a slip in the arithmetic in Q2. In the M3 paper, I've reinstated the integration in the centres of mass question, as it was clearly asked for and was needed for full marks. But I've pointed out how you can keep the workload down by going to the calculator as soon as you have a numerical expression to evaluate.

Best use the "CHECKED" versions from now on.

Hello
for 7c i dont see how resolving in the horizontal direction for the x-coordinate produces utsin(alpha) shouldnt it be cos(alpha) and the vertical should be sin(alpha) in terms of components, and then simply take away the horizontal and vertical distances to obtain the coordinates? Im not sure that the mark scheme is correct on this front.
Original post by kchap22
Hello
for 7c i dont see how resolving in the horizontal direction for the x-coordinate produces utsin(alpha) shouldnt it be cos(alpha) and the vertical should be sin(alpha) in terms of components, and then simply take away the horizontal and vertical distances to obtain the coordinates? Im not sure that the mark scheme is correct on this front.

Be careful where you've put your angle alpha at B.

Once this mark scheme has been used to mark a few 1000 scripts, any errors would probably have been noticed.
Original post by tiny hobbit

Once this mark scheme has been used to mark a few 1000 scripts, any errors would probably have been noticed.

Yes i may have made a mistake drawing the angle. but it seems that cos alpha is still 4/5 and sine alpha is 3/5. if someone could draw a clear diagram explaining the components it would be beneficial. cheers guys
In case people are wondering attached is the question im on about:

I thought the velocity is tangential at B, just at the instant when the string is slack, does this assumption hold when finding out components? this is how i marked in the angle alpha by using alternate angles at point B and then using SUVAT for horizontal and vertical components? it is just the components i am confused about. The initial positions bit to find the coordinates is quite comprehensive.
Original post by kchap22
I thought the velocity is tangential at B, just at the instant when the string is slack, does this assumption hold when finding out components? this is how i marked in the angle alpha by using alternate angles at point B and then using SUVAT for horizontal and vertical components? it is just the components i am confused about. The initial positions bit to find the coordinates is quite comprehensive.

What I don't know in all this is which angle you are calling alpha. It isn't theta, because that is obtuse when the string goes slack.
Hello
i have attached an image of the angle alpha i was referring to whilst attempting to obtain the SUVAT equations.
cheers
Original post by kchap22
Hello
i have attached an image of the angle alpha i was referring to whilst attempting to obtain the SUVAT equations.
cheers

I begin to see your problem(s). The string won't go slack while the particle is in the bottom half of the circle but once it is in the top half (tie something on to the end of a piece of string and whirl it round in a vertical circle at different speeds).

Also theta is measured from the "downward vertical through O". Yours appears to be measured from OA.
I begin to see your problem(s). The string won't go slack while the particle is in the bottom half of the circle but once it is in the top half (tie something on to the end of a piece of string and whirl it round in a vertical circle at different speeds).

Also theta is measured from the "downward vertical through O". Yours appears to be measured from OA.

Thanks so much,
yes i see my faults now i simply thought we had to measure from the OA which was the x axis, since it is given in the question. but yes if measured from downward vertical it makes sense that it should go slack in the top half of the circle.
thanks again

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending